Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to auto-close the driver's side window and it goes up and right before it closes all the way it goes back down to half way. I try to manual close it, same thing happens. Opened door. Closed door. Turn off engine. Turn on engine. Window still won't close. Finally was able to close it by manual closing it after engine turned off. But I had already tried that previously and it didn't work. So a solution is not apparent. Anyone heard of this? I have an oil change appt on Thursday and will bring this up with the dealer service dept.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Will reinitializing the power windows work?

(p.149 owner's manual)

Initialization of power window
(if equipped)

If the power window does not operate
properly, operate each window according
to the following procedure in order to
initialize the power window system.

1. Close the door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON”
position.
3. Open the window completely and then
press and hold down the power window
switch for approximately 1 second.
4. Close the window completely and then
pull and hold the power window switch for
approximately 1 second.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I go to auto-close the driver's side window and it goes up and right before it closes all the way it goes back down to half way. I try to manual close it, same thing happens. Opened door. Closed door. Turn off engine. Turn on engine. Window still won't close. Finally was able to close it by manual closing it after engine turned off. But I had already tried that previously and it didn't work. So a solution is not apparent. Anyone heard of this? I have an oil change appt on Thursday and will bring this up with the dealer service dept.
Sometimes in cold weather my window will bounce back down when auto closing. I fix this by not auto raising it. Just slowly raise it without the auto function in little amounts until it is closed completely and hold the switch up once closed. Seems to help get it closed. Not sure if it’s my tint that adds just enough thickness to cause this or not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a similar problem on the driver side too. The inner gasket somehow became deformed. When the window closes, it would make contact with the gasket and trip a pinch sensor. This forces the window down half way. I took it to the dealer and they determined the fix was to replace the gasket around the window.

It took me 4 trips to get it fixed. First time was to analyze the problem and let them order the parts, Second time was a dud because they ordered the wrong part. The 3rd time, they somehow damaged the gasket on the install!

Also on the 2nd visit one of the workers accidentally rowed down the window, when they returned the car to my wife. The techs had to manually force it back up so it will be closed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes in cold weather my window will bounce back down when auto closing. I fix this by not auto raising it. Just slowly raise it without the auto function in little amounts until it is closed completely and hold the switch up once closed. Seems to help get it closed. Not sure if it’s my tint that adds just enough thickness to cause this or not.
This is pretty much what the dealer said. Mentioned cold weather. Said maybe salt on the window can cause it to think something is in the way. Said solution without cleaning glass is to close manually a little bit at a time like you described.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My driver's side window this morning began to slow, and then stop about 2 inches shy of closing, and roll itself all the way down when I tried to close it. It worked perfectly on the drive out to the farmers market, but didn't work when I tried to close it on the ride home. Performed the reset and it seems to slow down a lot before it closes. Just curious if anyone else who reset their windows noticed it was slower as it approached the closing point. I don't recall it slowing prior to closing before, but wanted to verify before I mention it to the dealer.

I checked, there appears to be no debris in the visible portion of the tracks. Windows are cleaned regularly, but I imagine it doesn't have any impact on the track itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts