Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to auto-close the driver's side window and it goes up and right before it closes all the way it goes back down to half way. I try to manual close it, same thing happens. Opened door. Closed door. Turn off engine. Turn on engine. Window still won't close. Finally was able to close it by manual closing it after engine turned off. But I had already tried that previously and it didn't work. So a solution is not apparent. Anyone heard of this? I have an oil change appt on Thursday and will bring this up with the dealer service dept.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Will reinitializing the power windows work?

(p.149 owner's manual)

Initialization of power window
(if equipped)

If the power window does not operate
properly, operate each window according
to the following procedure in order to
initialize the power window system.

1. Close the door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON”
position.
3. Open the window completely and then
press and hold down the power window
switch for approximately 1 second.
4. Close the window completely and then
pull and hold the power window switch for
approximately 1 second.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I go to auto-close the driver's side window and it goes up and right before it closes all the way it goes back down to half way. I try to manual close it, same thing happens. Opened door. Closed door. Turn off engine. Turn on engine. Window still won't close. Finally was able to close it by manual closing it after engine turned off. But I had already tried that previously and it didn't work. So a solution is not apparent. Anyone heard of this? I have an oil change appt on Thursday and will bring this up with the dealer service dept.
Sometimes in cold weather my window will bounce back down when auto closing. I fix this by not auto raising it. Just slowly raise it without the auto function in little amounts until it is closed completely and hold the switch up once closed. Seems to help get it closed. Not sure if it’s my tint that adds just enough thickness to cause this or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a similar problem on the driver side too. The inner gasket somehow became deformed. When the window closes, it would make contact with the gasket and trip a pinch sensor. This forces the window down half way. I took it to the dealer and they determined the fix was to replace the gasket around the window.

It took me 4 trips to get it fixed. First time was to analyze the problem and let them order the parts, Second time was a dud because they ordered the wrong part. The 3rd time, they somehow damaged the gasket on the install!

Also on the 2nd visit one of the workers accidentally rowed down the window, when they returned the car to my wife. The techs had to manually force it back up so it will be closed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes in cold weather my window will bounce back down when auto closing. I fix this by not auto raising it. Just slowly raise it without the auto function in little amounts until it is closed completely and hold the switch up once closed. Seems to help get it closed. Not sure if it’s my tint that adds just enough thickness to cause this or not.
This is pretty much what the dealer said. Mentioned cold weather. Said maybe salt on the window can cause it to think something is in the way. Said solution without cleaning glass is to close manually a little bit at a time like you described.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
807 Posts
My driver's side window this morning began to slow, and then stop about 2 inches shy of closing, and roll itself all the way down when I tried to close it. It worked perfectly on the drive out to the farmers market, but didn't work when I tried to close it on the ride home. Performed the reset and it seems to slow down a lot before it closes. Just curious if anyone else who reset their windows noticed it was slower as it approached the closing point. I don't recall it slowing prior to closing before, but wanted to verify before I mention it to the dealer.

I checked, there appears to be no debris in the visible portion of the tracks. Windows are cleaned regularly, but I imagine it doesn't have any impact on the track itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driver's side window this morning began to slow, and then stop about 2 inches shy of closing, and roll itself all the way down when I tried to close it. It worked perfectly on the drive out to the farmers market, but didn't work when I tried to close it on the ride home. Performed the reset and it seems to slow down a lot before it closes. Just curious if anyone else who reset their windows noticed it was slower as it approached the closing point. I don't recall it slowing prior to closing before, but wanted to verify before I mention it to the dealer.

I checked, there appears to be no debris in the visible portion of the tracks. Windows are cleaned regularly, but I imagine it doesn't have any impact on the track itself.
Did you find out what it was? My 2020 Outback is doing the exact same.

·
Registered
807 Posts
No, they could not determine what the problem was. They did clean the track on the driver side, and it's been fine since then. Not sure that they did anything to the passenger side.

As as aside, how do you like your outback? I had multiple 2020 outback loners, and as much as I don't love my ascent, I do really like the '20 outback (if you prefer to pm thats fine).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine was having the same problem. The dealer blames a dirty gasket. The problem happens periodically, particularly when it's really windy outside. My guess is that the gasket somehow gets out of alignment or deformed. It might not be that it's dirty but rather the wiping down gets it back into the proper shape so it can close. This is just my guess. Either way it's super annoying.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
This kind of sounds like what happened to me a while back, except my weather stripping was starting to get pulled down with the window.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES!!! ME!!! It is only when it’s cold and it malfunctions worse the colder it gets. I’ve learned that if I point the closest air vent on heat full blast at the general direction of the motor, it will fix itself faster.
2019 ascent Ltd 7seater here. Started this past winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is pretty much what the dealer said. Mentioned cold weather. Said maybe salt on the window can cause it to think something is in the way. Said solution without cleaning glass is to close manually a little bit at a time like you described.
Experienced this last weekend. Happened on the way home from the dealer after service - which included a car wash. Weather was probably mid to low 50s, but perhaps brisk enough that with the windows down a bit at highway speeds, the water from the car wash may have gotten cold enough to stiffen the gasket in a weird way? It took this thread to fix using the inching up method until closed. I let it sit a few days and seems to be working fine now, but will see what happens when it gets cold again.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Experienced this last weekend. Happened on the way home from the dealer after service - which included a car wash. Weather was probably mid to low 50s, but perhaps brisk enough that with the windows down a bit at highway speeds, the water from the car wash may have gotten cold enough to stiffen the gasket in a weird way? It took this thread to fix using the inching up method until closed. I let it sit a few days and seems to be working fine now, but will see what happens when it gets cold again.
roll down window and spray silicone using tube straw into window channels. wipe off excess. roll window up and spray into channel again. roll down and up. wipe excess off. silicone is hydrophilic and will also maintain seals. Repeat 1X/yr.

·
Registered
869 Posts
roll down window and spray silicone using tube straw into window channels. wipe off excess. roll window up and spray into channel again. roll down and up. wipe excess off. silicone is hydrophilic and will also maintain seals. Repeat 1X/yr.
That’s what I did when I had the window chatter on rainy days.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Happened to me today on my 2020 ascent premium loaner. I was driving to dealer to have them look at at it when it worked. 5200 miles on odometer. No weatherstrip obstruction.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Happened to our 2019 about a month ago... what did I do? Came straight to these forums baby!! :) And, sure enough the 'reset' directions by rockthebeef for the win!!

Not sure the perfect scenario, tracks are clean and it moves smoothly. Only once in 28k miles... I'm not stress'n, still a fantastic car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened.

2020 Ascent Premium.

Current temperature 65°.

I couldn't get the window to close... couldn't "reset".

This happened as I put the car in reverse and closing my windows and backing up the driveway.

The window decided it wanted to stay open...

So I put in into drive and was about to drive to the subaru service center repair... then as I drove I hit the window button to close...

And it finally did....

So TLDR: put it into drive and start driving and closing the window simultaneously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just happened to me after picking up fast food at a drive through. Leaving tomorrow on an 835 mile drive heading into frigid temps. Tried several of the suggestions here without success. Ran out of patience so just used both hands to pull up on the window while using auto up. Slipped my fingers out an continued pushing up on the glass to close the last couple of inches. Got it closed and it will stay that way until I have more time to mess with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's been an ongoing intermittent issue with our '19 -- window sometimes raises reeeeally slow then rebounds like someone's neck got in the way. The dealer slathered some kind of grease on things and didn't fix it. Haven't tried resetting the window. Problem with our dealer is they don't allow any "oh by the way" additions on a service visit. So we can't go for an oil change and "oh by the way our window doesn't always close." We have to schedule a dedicated visit for each issue...inconvenient when they're 35 miles away and we need the car daily. Plus they behave like a stereotypical dealership by first doubting that we know what we're talking about, then by assuming there's not actually anything wrong, THEN by following their playbook rather than actually looking at the car.

Sorry for the vent...can you tell I'm not super-happy with our dealer's service dept? Anyway, yes ours does this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts