Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a 2019 black limited ascent. went to push the drivers side door lock button this morning and the lock starts flipping from lock to unlock like Linda Blair from the Exorcist! The crazy switch flipping lasts about a second or two. Door will not lock. Must lock manually. Called Dealer to check out tomorrow morning. Any one else experience this? Took a video, trying to figure out how to post here.

This is second issue with this car, purchased new in March. Just passed 2k miles. At 1800 miles the amp went. Was replaced under warranty but not feeling good about repeat unscheduled dealer visits this early into car ownership. Great car but hoping this is it for surprises.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try not to freak out. This is a minor issue. Many of us including ME have had my car in the shop for just under 3 weeks for rising oil level issue which SOA, after tests after tests, finally authorized dealership to replace high pressure fuel something inside engine cover which runs off of camshaft. Have had Subaru cars before, very good. This one I'm not still sure about. If had to do over again, might have decided on another type SUV 8 passenger but I swear by the AWD Subaru system living here in WA. state.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, that's a pretty serious issue with your Ascent - sorry to hear about that. My issues, admittedly are very minor just curious if others also experiencing this OR just me. I'm sure it's a simple fix (the lock).
I cross shopped ALL the major 8 passenger crossovers (Pilot, Highlander, Mazda CX9, Acura MDX and a Jeep). Liked the Ascent the best by far.
Good luck with your Ascent!

Try not to freak out. This is a minor issue. Many of us including ME have had my car in the shop for just under 3 weeks for rising oil level issue which SOA, after tests after tests, finally authorized dealership to replace high pressure fuel something inside engine cover which runs off of camshaft. Have had Subaru cars before, very good. This one I'm not still sure about. If had to do over again, might have decided on another type SUV 8 passenger but I swear by the AWD Subaru system living here in WA. state.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
@2019BlkLimited is it cycling to unlock on its own? That would definitely be a problem to have looked at
If you’re moving and press the unlock button, it’ll cycle back to lock on its own. Just throwing that out there as a possibility

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @xydadx3 for the info - will try that. I'm just touching the "lock" side of the button and it will cause the flipping of the lock itself - from lock to unlock repeatedly about 5 times before defaulting to unlock. Will test when I get to the car.

@2019BlkLimited is it cycling to unlock on its own? That would definitely be a problem to have looked at
If you’re moving and press the unlock button, it’ll cycle back to lock on its own. Just throwing that out there as a possibility

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Sounds like it might be doing something else then.
If you can reproduce what it’s doing and nobody else comes up with a solution I’d recommend bringing it to the dealer and showing them. It is Friday so hours may be limited if you want it checked soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @xydadx3 called dealer who wanted me to come by right away but I am NYC today so heading there at 8AM tomorrow morning - I have short video of the event in case the car wont reproduce flipping switch

Sounds like it might be doing something else then.
If you can reproduce what it’s doing and nobody else comes up with a solution I’d recommend bringing it to the dealer and showing them. It is Friday so hours may be limited if you want it checked soon!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The cycling of lock and unlock represent a security feature to prevent locking yourself out when the car is on. In a technical sense, when ACC or IGN is switched on and door is open, you can’t power lock the car.

Obviously I can’t tell you what’s the problem but at least you know a pathway toward completing the diagnostic

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, I had my transmission replaced and now may have to take it in to have the Drive Shaft replace per a recall- that I just received today and my lift gate won’t open.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Yes, only 166 Ascents are affected by the drive shaft issue, all produced between two dates in June.

Reactions: 2019BlkLimited

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Got to dealer service around 8. Of course cannot reproduce the issue but have the video. Service guy says he will order new door lock actuator. Will get a call when part is in stock to replace. Sorry to hear some are having super serious issues with their cars. Will update once part is replaced.

The cycling of lock and unlock represent a security feature to prevent locking yourself out when the car is on. In a technical sense, when ACC or IGN is switched on and door is open, you can’t power lock the car.

Obviously I can’t tell you what’s the problem but at least you know a pathway toward completing the diagnostic

·
Registered
11 Posts
My passenger door lock did that for about a week and then healed itself.....now if the other issues would do the same, I would be happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts