Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I've developed a hip bursitis since I've owned my Ascent Touring. The drivers seat "wraps" around on my hips, so my body slips into the well. It's just uncomfortable for long trips. I haven't noticed it in the passenger seat. I'm not a heavy, big boned gal needing a widespread seat. I've tried seat cushions as a recommendation from physical therapists. And now I'm asking you for any thoughts. This is the first car I've owned that is not comfortable for me, and I've enjoyed many cars! I actually thought about going to a car upholstery shop to create a filler, or even trying a new seat. I love my Ascent. My family loves my Ascent. It is the cornerstone of my travel with my Micro Winnie. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Maybe not what you want to hear but this is the cushion my wife and I use.

I am big and tall and my wife is small and petite. we both like this cushion after several hours of driving.

I have also found that changing the tilt of the seat every so often on long trips moves where the seat is putting pressure on me.
Just make sure you do not park the vehicle in the cold weather with the cushion left in the car. The memory foam freezes. It is no longer comfortable until it fully warms
up.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
The obvious first step for this kind of thing is experimenting with a bunch of changes to the seating position adjustments, including the front thigh support and tilt angles. While I find the driver seat to be very comfortable, I've done a lot of long distance driving over the years because of business travel and one thing I also learned was to make little changes to the seat position from time to time to "freshen" things up. The act of sitting in exactly the same position over a long period of time, even in the most comfortable seat, can still cause discomfort. Adding a medical condition makes it even more of a challenge. (I have more and more problem with pain in these areas myself at this point)

That said, it's a fact that for some individuals, a given seat just isn't going to work...and you may need to try add-on cushions like have been suggested or even "go nuclear" and change to a different vehicle, being very careful to make sure the same issue isn't present for your particular body.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Unfortunately in 20 months and 14k, my seats haven't softened up. Like you, I have the touring, and they're inherently a little firmer than the other ones because of the ventilation. I do try to adjust the seat periodically if I'm on a longer trip, but even my wife and kids feel that all four chairs are overly hard.. They don't bother me so much for trips under an hour or so, but after that, no matter how I adjust it, the seats are hard. I like firm seats, but unfortunately these are just hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.