Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else having problems with the driver seat being so uncomfortable your in pain? My back pain and sciatic pain is just about unbearable. I think my problem is I have to raise the seat to see out of the car, but then the floorboard is too far for my feet to rest while using the pedals. I asked the dealership three days after I bought a Touring if they would take it back, but obviously only for a trade in. Any tips?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have you tried tipping the front of the seat forward? It might adjust far enough to let your feet touch. The touring also allows you to extend the driver's seat to support more of your legs. That might give you more relief. Otherwise I would probably be fashioning some type of simple platform your feet could rest on. The only other thing I could think of is a wedge pillow to sit on to get you higher allowing you to keep the seat lower.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Candace, what's your height? Also, does your proportions favor more the body or the legs? These may both contribute to your current seating concerns.

Play a bit with your seating position while realizing that unless you physically cannot see over the instrument cluster/steering wheel, you're actually *not* sitting too low. Modern pedestrian safety standards have raised the hoodline versus older generations of vehicles, and this can cause long-time (read: those who started driving prior to these standards being in-place) drivers feeling as though forward, near-field, visibility is lacking. In reality, while this is undeniably true, the driver can learn to compensate by becoming more familiar with the vehicle's external dimensions and how this "projects" from their seating position and field-of-view (aka "become more familiar with your vehicle).

Race car drivers are seated lower not only so that they can clear their helmet, but also to help vehicle dynamics: Subaru touts the Boxer engine as having a lower center of gravity and thus being better for better vehicle dynamics - you can play this game, too, by lowering your seating position. :)

Really the most important things to keep in mind are (1) your ability to fully and forcefully depress the brake (and also the accelerator) pedal and (2) effect proper upper body -to- steering wheel airbag clearance. Everything else is secondary.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Depending on the trim level, the front of the seat can be pulled our or pushed in, and angled up or down. Angle it downwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found the side bolsters to be uncomfortable initially and was worried that I couldn't take long trips in the car. Part of the problem was just the change in driving position but part was the bolsters themselves. Thankfully I think they have broken in and I find them more comfortable now. I'm 5'11, 175 so not particularly tall or heavy. If all the dealer offers is a trade you might want to put a few thousand miles on before deciding. I'm at 3800mi and the problem has faded from my #1 complaint to a non issue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't find the drivers seat super comfortable especially if I keep my left foot on the foot reset. Usually I end up just moving my left foot on the floor and rest my kneed against the door. This helps a bit.

I think in part this has to do with the height of the seat and the angle it puts your legs. Granted I am 6'4"

·
Registered
791 Posts
For longer trips they are uncomfortable, as my wife and I found out today. But around town I like the rock hard seats, it helps with some back issues I have. But, all my cars with ventilated seats have harder seats than the equivalent model without ventilated seats.

If you want the most comfortable seats in a car in general, try a later model Saab, a recent Volvo or Lincoln, or the current Maxima.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The leather Ascent seat in the Touring is the most comfortable seat in the Subaru line. Granted, Subaru is not known for the comfort or support of their seats, which have a historical tendency to fail long before the car does.

I also thought the side bolsters of the front seats pushed in a bit (squished from the side) and that a wider seat would have been more comfortable, especially for a large person. Six months later, I hardly notice it. I did spend quite a bit of time and effort finding that perfect seat adjustment, along with the manual thigh support extender. The seat is firm and rather unforgiving, but I don't notice it getting uncomfortable on a long ride as does on my wife's Forester. I came out of a Toyota Sienna leather seat that was terribly comfortable and supportive even after 14 years. The seats were a major decision maker/breaker when I chose the Ascent. I compared Toyota, Lexus, Lincoln, Volvo, Mercedes (shockingly uncomfortable), Infinity (very nice), BMW, Audi, Jaguar (am I beginning to sound anal over seat comfort?) and more. (Just go to a CarMax location to compare dozens of seats in various makes of cars.) Ascent was in the top 2 or 3. Not the most comfortable, but close to the top of the list. After 6 months of break in, it's a keeper.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I own a Limited and have found that the seats are highly adjustable for forward and reverse, up and down, tilt, leg extension and lumbar support. Other than the amount of cushion I would not know what else someone could expect. For the masses this would be more than sufficient to create a comfortable environment for driving. I suppose if it doesn't work for you it would be like fitting a shoe. It either works or it doesn't for the specific driver.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Before you do anything dramatic, you might want to swing by your doctor. I had horrible back pain when sitting in some chairs but not others. It would always come the next day, sit in x chair next day pain, sit in y chair 100% ok.

Turns out that I had an old injury in my knees causes my a tendon to be pulled in my foot, which caused that foot to become flat footed. The injury unsettled my spine which was ok unless I sit in those chairs. He gave me a foot insert to stop help the arch and the back pain went away. I currently can sit in any chair with out any problems.

The subaru may not be the cause of your problem, it just help amplify the symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I have gleaned from others, Subaru seats are not engineered to fit a petite female. All the Subaru owners who have no issues are mostly men. I, too, don't like the fit of my Ascent Touring. When test driving, this issue was not noticeable -- probably because I was trying to get to know handling, etc. since this is the first Subaru we've owned(been pretty loyal to Honda). Even my husband admitted the seat is not as comfortable as his Odyssey. That being said, my husband had an occasion to have to drive our daughter's Crosstrack, and he said it's driver's seat was far more comfortable than the Assent. I'm thinking more petite people (women) purchase the Crosstrack and therefore Subaru listened to the feedback on that vehicle. These are my experiences/observations with the Ascent seating.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m fine with the Ascent seat, but will comment when I look at cars the driver seat is my number 1 priority due to needed adjustment. I am 5’ 5”, 128 lbs, 5 bulging discs, 1 knee replacement. Severe sciatica almost 24 x 7 and tendonitis behind the less than perfect, but “okay” knee replacement.

Everyone is different...but for me I absolutely need a seat that does not contact back of leg just above knee. Ascent seat works for me, CRV seat was better but a noisy car so I moved to Subaru.

Darned thing about it I was interested in 4x4 pickups and couldn’t find a single model 2 years ago with a seat for people under 5’ 8” or even 5’ 10”. Then after buying Ascent I checked out seats on Colorado and Tacoma. What a change, both far more comfortable than any seat to date now. Especially the Tacoma. As noted, key for me personally is no contact with seat above knee. Suggest trying some sort of way to put something on floor to keep legs raised off front of seat. You have to be very careful though as whatever you come up with must be secured so it can’t move and interfere with accelerator and brake pedal. Again, that back of leg contact just above the knee ccreates misery for me. Sciatic nerve passes through knee area exactly where scar is for minimally invasive full knee replacement btw..

·
Registered
771 Posts
From what I have gleaned from others, Subaru seats are not engineered to fit a petite female.

Wifey is 5'2" on a good day. :)

Her mother is about the same, but I think weighs barely 100 lbs. :tango_face_surprise

Both remarked on how comfortable the Ascents seats (all positions) are.

Comfort is subjective, and there are no averages where it comes to "the average person!" :tango_face_wink::smile:

·
Registered
43 Posts
In March '18 when we test drove an Ascent, it was the Touring version. The driver's seat had the adjustable lumbar support which our 2012 Outback has and it was extremely comfortable. We purchased the Premium version and were surprised upon taking delivery that this version doesn't have the adjustable lumbar support. I ended up using a foam garden kneeler pad behind my back to achieve the same support as the adjustable lumbar support and can drive for hours and hours without problem. Perhaps the original poster can try something like this?
The lack of adjustable lumbar support was almost a deal breaker for us as I had lumbar surgery 20 years ago and over the years this has become lumbar stenosis, which in 2015 required multiple epidural injections.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any one else having problems with the driver seat being so uncomfortable your in pain? My back pain and sciatic pain is just about unbearable. I think my problem is I have to raise the seat to see out of the car, but then the floorboard is too far for my feet to rest while using the pedals. I asked the dealership three days after I bought a Touring if they would take it back, but obviously only for a trade in. Any tips?
What do you think Candace ?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’m fine with the Ascent seat, but will comment when I look at cars the driver seat is my number 1 priority due to needed adjustment. I am 5’ 5”, 128 lbs, 5 bulging discs, 1 knee replacement. Severe sciatica almost 24 x 7 and tendonitis behind the less than perfect, but “okay” knee replacement.

Everyone is different...but for me I absolutely need a seat that does not contact back of leg just above knee. Ascent seat works for me, CRV seat was better but a noisy car so I moved to Subaru.

Darned thing about it I was interested in 4x4 pickups and couldn’t find a single model 2 years ago with a seat for people under 5’ 8” or even 5’ 10”. Then after buying Ascent I checked out seats on Colorado and Tacoma. What a change, both far more comfortable than any seat to date now. Especially the Tacoma. As noted, key for me personally is no contact with seat above knee. Suggest trying some sort of way to put something on floor to keep legs raised off front of seat. You have to be very careful though as whatever you come up with must be secured so it can’t move and interfere with accelerator and brake pedal. Again, that back of leg contact just above the knee ccreates misery for me. Sciatic nerve passes through knee area exactly where scar is for minimally invasive full knee replacement btw..
The Tacoma has to be the most uncomfortable truck on the planet. Knees in the chin with no thigh support . I could not drive that POS for more than 15 min.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 5'2" with less than 29" inseam. The way I felt in the seat contributed to us turning in our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited for one. We weren't going to get me a new car, but I could actually get in a comfortable position with the Ascent that I haven't gotten in vehicles previously. I don't have a Touring though, but a Limited. Just another person chiming in with how it fits me. The only complaint I have with the seat is I would want the headrest to go back a little farther than it does, in my Hyundai I was able to slide it back toward the rear seat from the completely upright position which was nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the same problem, my wife is short and now in pain. She has tried every possible position and bought every pillow/back rest that she can find on Amazon to no avail, We are going to have to get rid of the car.
600 mile trade in, but it has to be done.

Too bad, otherwise we both love the car.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts