Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 Ascent Limited for a little more than a week now and am finally trying out all of the features. I have created a driver profile, and was hoping to be able to save the outside rear view mirror settings. However, it does not appear that the mirror settings are savable.

Does anyone know if it's possible to save the mirror settings to the driver profile? And, if so, how?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to save the mirror settings to the driver profile? And, if so, how?
That's not a feature in any Ascent. Sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not a feature in any Ascent. Sorry.
Well thats a major disappointment!
I took for granted that every other car I've bought since the early 90s that let you assign a seat setting to the fob also assigned the exterior mirror settings.
Saving the seat setting, but not the mirror settings is a major design miss by Subaru. Who adjusts their seat and doesn't adjust the mirrors next?

Reactions: RobertD

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It will show up in a future year. Subaru has already heard the customer feedback on it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well thats a major disappointment!
I took for granted that every other car I've bought since the early 90s that let you assign a seat setting to the fob also assigned the exterior mirror settings.
Saving the seat setting, but not the mirror settings is a major design miss by Subaru. Who adjusts their seat and doesn't adjust the mirrors next?
Subaru's by design have always been on the simpler side of technology when compared to the broader market of manufacturer's with the Ascent I was actually surprised by the features it did have when we went through the concierge delivery service at our dealer. As our salesman was barely able to scratch the surface of options due to time constraints. My wife just learned today about her seat having a thigh/leg support extension, lol.

While this feature would be neat to have, I am not surprised it wasn't included. But this is our 5th Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
This was one of the things I miss from our old Yukon. There are not a lot of things I miss, but the key ones are:
-Memory mirror
-Memory steering wheel
-Ability to disable rear hatch
-Ability to easily lock vehicle from outside while it is running

·
Registered
421 Posts
-Ability to disable rear hatch
-Ability to easily lock vehicle from outside while it is running
You can't disable the hatch completely, but you can set maximum opening height to a very minimum so it doesn't bonk a bike rack.

Also, I can lock using my key fob while it's running - do it all the time if my teens want to stay in the cool car while I run into the store.

F.S.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You can't disable the hatch completely, but you can set maximum opening height to a very minimum so it doesn't bonk a bike rack.

Also, I can lock using my key fob while it's running - do it all the time if my teens want to stay in the cool car while I run into the store.

F.S.
Changing the minimum is silly as it shouldn't be a task required. Plus it doesn't disable the motor if I want the door to be ajar while moving.

I can't lock with it running, it does nothing. And if you walk away with it running and the key in pocket, it sure does get pissed off and beeps endlessly.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Changing the minimum is silly as it shouldn't be a task required. Plus it doesn't disable the motor if I want the door to be ajar while moving.

I can't lock with it running, it does nothing. And if you walk away with it running and the key in pocket, it sure does get pissed off and beeps endlessly.
It would be nice if there was a setting... but, of course, it's set up the way it is so people don't lock FOBs in cars by accident. It's helped me a number of times.

...while, on the other hand, there's been times I wished I could lock it with the car running (so, it would be nice if there was a setting). ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
How do you lock a fob in the car when the fob is outside of the car? This is the logic which escapes me. Even my sales rep said "its a safety thing", which I replied "how is leaving an unlocked car running safer than a locked car running?" LOL

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
How do you lock a fob in the car when the fob is outside of the car? This is the logic which escapes me. Even my sales rep said "its a safety thing", which I replied "how is leaving an unlocked car running safer than a locked car running?" LOL
Because I think the FOB detection needs to be tied to the function differently. ;) So, I agree.

I'm curious what the reasoning is when the system was designed. I suspect it will be one of those mysteries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't tried to lock the car with the engine running. But, over the weekend I did run into a similar scenario. My wife and I were out together. I had my fob and she had hers in her purse. She decided to leave her purse in the car. We both got out and closed or doors. I touched the handle to lock the car the way I usually do and it refused to lock - just beeped. I was able to lock the car using the fob. At first, we didn't understand what was happening. But, then my wife mentioned that her fob was in her purse in the car. So, appears that the system must be able to detect both fobs and then forces you to lock the door using the fob outside the car to ensure this is what you really want to do. This makes sense not just from a safety standpoint, but also security. Touch unlock shouldn't work when the fob is inside the car or else anyone could unlock your car...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subaru's by design have always been on the simpler side of technology when compared to the broader market of manufacturer's with the Ascent I was actually surprised by the features it did have when we went through the concierge delivery service at our dealer. As our salesman was barely able to scratch the surface of options due to time constraints. My wife just learned today about her seat having a thigh/leg support extension, lol.

While this feature would be neat to have, I am not surprised it wasn't included. But this is our 5th Subaru.
I agree. I am very pleased with all of the tech in the Ascent. It just bums me out when a company implements a feature half way. Probably means a bean counter won an argument vs. a program manager that saved a few dollars... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts

The simpler side of technology is ok, but less so when you buy a top-model Ascent at a top price! Also sad they went cheap on what...fifty buck’s worth of electronics at cost?
This is almost as bad as the Audi Q5 not coming equipped with a backup camera when many if not most entry-level subcompact cars have. In Canada, they wanted $1,500 for it !

·
Registered
629 Posts
I haven't tried to lock the car with the engine running. But, over the weekend I did run into a similar scenario. My wife and I were out together. I had my fob and she had hers in her purse. She decided to leave her purse in the car. We both got out and closed or doors. I touched the handle to lock the car the way I usually do and it refused to lock - just beeped. I was able to lock the car using the fob. At first, we didn't understand what was happening. But, then my wife mentioned that her fob was in her purse in the car. So, appears that the system must be able to detect both fobs and then forces you to lock the door using the fob outside the car to ensure this is what you really want to do. This makes sense not just from a safety standpoint, but also security. Touch unlock shouldn't work when the fob is inside the car or else anyone could unlock your car...
Just tested this, my fob outside hers inside. It would not lock with the car running :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
The simpler side of technology is ok, but less so when you buy a top-model Ascent at a top price! Also sad they went cheap on what...fifty buck’s worth of electronics at cost?
This is almost as bad as the Audi Q5 not coming equipped with a backup camera when many if not most entry-level subcompact cars have. In Canada, they wanted $1,500 for it !
Well here it is, the 2021 Ascents are here and they still don't have the tech to tie the mirrors to the individual drivers. My suggestion is to not buy any more ascents and save a bundle with a Forester or Outback which do have the tech. Shame Shame Shame on you SOA!!!!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
It is frustrating. I think it's the Forester that has the mirrors tied to the seat memory. And I think it's the Outback that has the option for the passenger mirror to automatically dip in reverse. And the Ascent has neither feature...it is curious. I imagine some of these may be added as part of a mid-cycle refresh. Perhaps 2022 or 2023?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.