Subaru Ascent Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
^^^ def. You can't go by battery voltage as the discharge curve is pretty flat. Get a clamp on DC Amp capable meter. Here's an example, though I don't have this one. You just clamp the jaw around the wire (ground or +12). There's no need to make electrical connections.

I ended up going with the same one after searching for them blindly

·
Registered
935 Posts
With my liftgate open I was seeing about 2.3A on battery negative cable which was easier to get the clamp around. This continued for an hour and a half. I put a carabiner in the liftgate latch and still measured 2.3A for the next hour. Then I manually closed the liftgate and reopened it with the carabiner in and watched the current drop immediately down to about 1.7A, then slowly down to .1A over the next 30 seconds or so. Just to be sure I reset everything, repeated, and observed the same results...
This is after the liftgage controller TSB being done? Sounds like you're still getting a solid 2.3A with the gate open after 2.5 hrs and it doesn't cease until you nearly close the door with the biner in place making the controller think the hatch is closed. Am I reading this right?

I've been using the carabiner/close-door trick for a while.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This is after the liftgage controller TSB being done? Sounds like you're still getting a solid 2.3A with the gate open after 2.5 hrs and it doesn't cease until you nearly close the door with the biner in place making the controller think the hatch is closed. Am I reading this right?

I've been using the carabiner/close-door trick for a while.
You read it correct however the TSB was not performed. I don’t think my dealership fully understood the battery drain problem. Is 2.3a consistent with what you saw? I thought I remember seeing someone post closer to 4a

·
Registered
402 Posts
My Subaru dealership in Carlsbad, California, REFUSED to do the TSB. Do I have the right one? I told them 07-155-19R DATE: 06/12/19 REVISED: 07/09/19 Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module-Design Change Part# ECU- POWER REAR GATE 63350XC00D 2019MY Ascent. I said that leaving the rear hatch open for even a couple of hours drains the battery excessively, and that this TSB fixes that problem (and some others too, but my need if for the carbto stop draining the battery).

Julian, my service advisor, said that he talked to the mechanic who told him that this TSB is for people whi have problems opening their rear hatch. I said that may well be true, but it also fixes the current draw issue. He flat out refused to do it. Really?

F.S.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I think it’s the wording in the TSB...
Try telling them you have the problem with the liftgate opening as described in the first part of the tsb and see if they’ll do it.

·
Administrator
7,789 Posts
My Subaru dealership in Carlsbad, California, REFUSED to do the TSB. Do I have the right one? I told them 07-155-19R DATE: 06/12/19 REVISED: 07/09/19 Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module-Design Change Part# ECU- POWER REAR GATE 63350XC00D 2019MY Ascent. I said that leaving the rear hatch open for even a couple of hours drains the battery excessively, and that this TSB fixes that problem (and some others too, but my need if for the carbto stop draining the battery).

Julian, my service advisor, said that he talked to the mechanic who told him that this TSB is for people whi have problems opening their rear hatch. I said that may well be true, but it also fixes the current draw issue. He flat out refused to do it. Really?

F.S.
Tell them to download and read the latest version of the TSB.

·
Registered
402 Posts

F.S.
It's a little extreme to leave California just to find a competent dealership lol. Here in Dallas metro, I took my 2019 Ascent Touring to Brandon Tomes Subaru in McKinney, TX. Working with one advisor the first day (ordered the ECU), and then another advisor today (installed it), they were all straight up and no doubletalk.

I told them I had issues opening the hatch sometimes, and definitely had battery drain issues. Based on advice here in the forum, that first part about trouble opening is a must-say. I pointed them to TSB "07-155-19R DATE: 06/12/19 REVISED: 07/09/19 Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module-Design Change Part# ECU- POWER REAR GATE 63350XC00D 2019MY Ascent." Installed under warranty (at 35,950 miles!).

I should have done a control test, but my Digital Clamp Multimeter didn't arrive until after the service 😔 Here we are with the new ECU:
  • Engine off, open hatch: 4.02A
  • Comes down to 3.91-3.97A, probably with the lights timing out (I failed to notice)
  • At 10 minutes, it has come down gradually and stabilized at 3.72A, and stayed there through 19 minutes
  • Then at precisely 20 minutes, BAM! it drops to 0.09A
  • Stayed there for a few minutes watching, 0.09A
  • Hitting a keyfob button sends it back up to 4A, and probably resets the timer (hopefully - I'll wring it out maybe tomorrow)
I am STOKED.

This is my first time using a clamp style ammeter, so maybe technique and accuracy are questionable. But I zeroed, then clamped, and left it in the same position for the full time period (might have moved slightly at 10 minutes when the meter display timed out, but I think I was able to hit the backlight button without moving the clamp position at all).

By the way, hearing some of the talk that MY 2020's prevent you from opening the hatch under some conditions that I'd prefer it to open, I tried the following (dunno if this ECU controls this stuff, but rest assured that this MY 2019 with updated ECU does the following):
  • Engine on, in Neutral (i.e. not in Park), parking brake on: WILL NOT Open
  • Engine on, in Park, parking brake on: WILL Open with key fob, dash button, or rear hatch external button
The next trip to the model flying field or beach should be just like it's supposed to be, with the rear hatch OPEN!

Jury is still out on the clamp meter, as I've used it just once. But it's this one KAIWEETS Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC CURRENT): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

F.S.

20200914_191457.jpg

20200914_182049.jpg

20200914_182730.jpg

·
Administrator
7,789 Posts
THIS is one of the things I love about the Subaru brand. THIS is why I volunteer to be a Subaru Ambassador! Remember when I told everyone to make sure Subaru knew their concerns? They listened, and didn't stop until they finally figured it out! We're on revision 5 or 6 of the liftgate controller (that is dedication to customer satisfaction and service), but, it looks like we've just hit the jackpot!!!

Woo hoo!!!

I need to get mine done soon...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
THIS is one of the things I love about the Subaru brand. THIS is why I volunteer to be a Subaru Ambassador! Remember when I told everyone to make sure Subaru knew their concerns? They listened, and didn't stop until they finally figured it out! We're on revision 5 or 6 of the liftgate controller (that is dedication to customer satisfaction and service), but, it looks like we've just hit the jackpot!!!

Woo hoo!!!

I need to get mine done soon...
It sounds like they have finally figured out how to fix the lift gate opening problem but it is not at all clear whether Subaru will allow the dealers under warranty to use that TSB for the battery drain issue if you do not bring up the liftgate. I'm sure Subaru is aware of the battery drain issue and that this TSB also takes care of those concerns.

Are you suggesting they will allow the TSB to be used for the battery drain issue?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It's a little extreme to leave California just to find a competent dealership lol. Here in Dallas metro, I took my 2019 Ascent Touring to Brandon Tomes Subaru in McKinney, TX. Working with one advisor the first day (ordered the ECU), and then another advisor today (installed it), they were all straight up and no doubletalk.

I told them I had issues opening the hatch sometimes, and definitely had battery drain issues. Based on advice here in the forum, that first part about trouble opening is a must-say. I pointed them to TSB "07-155-19R DATE: 06/12/19 REVISED: 07/09/19 Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module-Design Change Part# ECU- POWER REAR GATE 63350XC00D 2019MY Ascent." Installed under warranty (at 35,950 miles!).

·
Administrator
7,789 Posts
It sounds like they have finally figured out how to fix the lift gate opening problem but it is not at all clear whether Subaru will allow the dealers under warranty to use that TSB for the battery drain issue if you do not bring up the liftgate. I'm sure Subaru is aware of the battery drain issue and that this TSB also takes care of those concerns.

Are you suggesting they will allow the TSB to be used for the battery drain issue?
It's mentioned in the TSB, last part of the description paragraph. I think it may just be easier for them to put down "lift gate issue - won't open". But yes, citing the main issue seems to be the easiest way.

·
Administrator
7,789 Posts
Its on my list for the next dealer visit
I keep putting it off. I think I plan on getting all the little things done and my next service, all at once... hood vibration, liftgate, door seals (mine are finally sticking out) and regular maintenance.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
38 Posts
So, was this part (Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module) that was corrected in the TSB then standard on the '20 and '21s?

·
Administrator
7,789 Posts
So, was this part then standard on the '20 and '21s?
On the 2021's I am pretty definitely sure. On the 2020's, I think so, but haven't had the chance to rip someone's open to check. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
More scenario testing with the new ECU:

After it timed out the first 20 minutes and dropped the amp draw, I opened a door. Interior lights went on, and amp draw went back up (presumably from the ECU powering back up). Interestingly, the timeout on the lights this second time seemed much longer -- I only checked in a few times, but it was more than 5 minutes and less than 10. But the high amp draw timed out like clockwork at 20 minutes and knocked back down to the low value.

For those hoping this is a solution for daytime tailgating, just be careful of your door access frequency or you may wind up stringing together a bunch of resets and drain your battery. If I keep that in mind, this appears to be a solid fix.

By the way, the whole time I've been testing the 20 minute ECU timeout, I've had my key fob in my pocket at close proximity as well as walking away. Coming back to the car didn't turn on the mirror down-lights like it would when I walk up to a locked and closed vehicle -- but in this case, the rear hatch was open and the car was unlocked. Next time, I'll try having the rear hatch open with the door locks locked. This is an important scenario to see if the key fob's presence ever triggers a new 20 minute countdown.

F.S.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I should have done a control test, but my Digital Clamp Multimeter didn't arrive until after the service 😔 Here we are with the new ECU:
  • Engine off, open hatch: 4.02A
  • Comes down to 3.91-3.97A, probably with the lights timing out (I failed to notice)
  • At 10 minutes, it has come down gradually and stabilized at 3.72A, and stayed there through 19 minutes
  • Then at precisely 20 minutes, BAM! it drops to 0.09A
  • Stayed there for a few minutes watching, 0.09A
  • Hitting a keyfob button sends it back up to 4A, and probably resets the timer (hopefully - I'll wring it out maybe tomorrow)
I am STOKED.

This is my first time using a clamp style ammeter, so maybe technique and accuracy are questionable. But I zeroed, then clamped, and left it in the same position for the full time period (might have moved slightly at 10 minutes when the meter display timed out, but I think I was able to hit the backlight button without moving the clamp position at all).

By the way, hearing some of the talk that MY 2020's prevent you from opening the hatch under some conditions that I'd prefer it to open, I tried the following (dunno if this ECU controls this stuff, but rest assured that this MY 2019 with updated ECU does the following):
  • Engine on, in Neutral (i.e. not in Park), parking brake on: WILL NOT Open
  • Engine on, in Park, parking brake on: WILL Open with key fob, dash button, or rear hatch external button
The next trip to the model flying field or beach should be just like it's supposed to be, with the rear hatch OPEN!

Jury is still out on the clamp meter, as I've used it just once. But it's this one KAIWEETS Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC CURRENT): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

F.S.

View attachment 5276

View attachment 5279

View attachment 5280
Good to hear, we've always had great service at Brandon Tomes too, so it's nice to know they'll easily address it if it's an issue. They even got our cracked sunroof authorized to be replaced under warranty despite the fact the crack was on the exterior layer of the glass and we could see a possible impact mark (most of the ones I've seen posted that randomly cracked looked to be on the interior layer of glass).

I preemptively put in an AGM battery within the first few weeks after we bought our 2020, bought the Hatch Catch when he first started selling them, and we keep a jumper pack on board. In the 7 months we've had ours we haven't had the hatch open long enough to see what it does, but I do need to pick up one of those meters to test it myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got home from the dealer after getting my battery replaced. He said he had to "jump through some hoops" to get their test to fail so he could replace it. When I showed him the TSB he also ordered the part and said he would just write that the hatch beeps three times. I've had 7 dead battery events since Jan '19. The kicker was three times in the past three weeks. Maybe this flaw is finally solved.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
38 Posts
Do new batteries come fully charged these days? Are they shipped at a lower charge? I say, if you have a charger, put your charger on your new battery overnight just to make sure it is fully charged.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Do new batteries come fully charged these days? Are they shipped at a lower charge? I say, if you have a charger, put your charger on your new battery overnight just to make sure it is fully charged.
no need. once installed it will be charged by driving it around.

301 - 320 of 320 Posts