Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was determined that my Ascent pulls 4 Ah when tailgate is open. However, when the FSE from Subaru was inspecting/testing my car, he found two other Ascents on the lot to test them. One pulled 4 Ah and the other only pulled 2 Ah!!!! Big difference. Quality control issue??? Anyway, I wrote to SOA to ask why the difference and I got an email back from them telling me that the reason my Ascent pulls 4 Ah is because I have the optional auto-dimming exterior mirrors. This isn't making sense to me and I'm hoping one of you might help me understand this. I do know that when my tailgate is open, it pulls 4 Ah. When the tailgate is closed, it pulls only .02 amps. This is on a #QMR report written up by one of the dealer's technicians. Furthermore, his report says he was able to drop the amps to 1.5 with the tailgate OPEN by removing the 'backup' fuse and the 'audio' fuse. The only time the light on the exterior mirrors goes on is when a door is open. If the tailgate is open, it does not go on. So how can they say this is what is causing the 4 Ah draw??? If the mirror was pulling power all the time, then how did the tech get the amps down to .02 when everything was closed? Do the mirrors pull power only when the tailgate is open? Hopefully I am making sense and one of you technical persons out there can shine some light on this and help me claim BS back to SOA! BTW, I just bought myself an Odyssey battery and will be testing it out tomorrow b/c I will need to leave the hatch open for 4-5 hours. The bigger test will be when I have to leave it open for 8 hours (when dog training).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought you could work around this issue entirely by simply putting a carabiner into the locking mechanism on the rear gate to mimic the door being closed? If so, then this isn’t really a big deal...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think that when people make posts about the tailgate and battery issues, they should be as specific as possible. Some models have a PRG (power rear gate) system, while others do not. So if you have a PRG, you also have the PRG control module. So, I wonder if the FSE tested comparable models with the PRG, and with the key fob in the same vicinity.

At any rate, as part of the PRG system is the PRG Auto closer. It is active when the PRG is open, such that if something hits it, like a garage door, it will begin to close to avoid further damage. So, much to the dismay of others who would like to keep their PRG open to tailgate or train dogs all day without draining the battery, the system is working as intended as it is a safety feature.

So, you need to find a way to bypass the PRG Auto closer, or the PRG CM entirely. I suggest getting the wiring diagram from subaru, and if you are electrical inclined, find a way, or take the diagram to someone who can read it to install a bypass switch. I would like to find a solution for this group, but I am just not smart enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts