Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took delivery of our 2020 Ascent on 30-October. Today we noticed it taking a while to crank over, so my husband put a battery charger on it this evening. At first the battery charger showed less than 20% charge; after an hour the battery charger showed “bad battery”. Is that possible - a bad battery already? We don’t even have 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, mine did that too, and I had to get a new battery under warranty. Some reports here that the OEM battery is not great. Plus, leaving the rear hatch open puts a drain on the battery, so don't leave it open for long.

My second battery is doing ok but I am keeping an eye on it.

F.S.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder if some of the batteries lose charge in transit—and after they’re recharged they’re not quite the same. My battery is ok, but when I first purchased my Ascent, it was missing the little plastic cover that allows you to shift into neutral when the battery is dead (I had them replace the plastic cover). I do wonder if they had to charge up the battery.

Not with this car, but I’ve had other cars where I let them sit around too long and the battery lost its charge, and I had to throw a charger on it in order to start the car. Do that a couple of times and the battery gets starts to get very unhappy, and will need premature replacement.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had a bad cell in the factory battery as well, dealership was apologetic...yet would only replace the battery if "the customer saw it leaking".
That sounds like BS. I'd try another dealer if it truly has a bad cell. You should be able to tell if it's got a bad cell by the output voltage, which is easily checked.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It wasn't BS. They were going by their specification. The dealer confirmed it was a bad cell for me, as I did prior to going in with my multimeter. The bad cell voltage was above the threshold set by subaru for battery replacement, yet it never topped off when charging for several days on a battery manager. The output voltage met Subaru's requirements. New battery solved it all.

"I'm not putting your family back into this car until we figure out what is going on with this battery, here's the keys to another '19 Ascent that is yours until we confirm yours is fixed" - dealership that I am probably not going to ever leave.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
It wasn't BS. They were going by their specification. The dealer confirmed it was a bad cell for me, as I did prior to going in with my multimeter. The bad cell voltage was above the threshold set by subaru for battery replacement, yet it never topped off when charging for several days on a battery manager. The output voltage met Subaru's requirements. New battery solved it all.

"I'm not putting your family back into this car until we figure out what is going on with this battery, here's the keys to another '19 Ascent that is yours until we confirm yours is fixed" - dealership that I am probably not going to ever leave.
I'd call SoA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We took delivery of our 2020 Ascent on 30-October. Today we noticed it taking a while to crank over, so my husband put a battery charger on it this evening. At first the battery charger showed less than 20% charge; after an hour the battery charger showed “bad battery”. Is that possible - a bad battery already? We don’t even have 500 miles on it.
I left the rear hatch open over night and killed the battery on my 2019 Ascent about two months after I got it. I put a charger on it and could barely get it to start. I died overnight so I ordered this Battery Minder https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EKY1EM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from Amazon and the battery tested bad. I was going to get it towed to the dealer. The tow truck driver that Subaru sent said that the Subaru batteries were junk as he delt with a lot of them. He jump started it and I drove it to the dealer. They confirmed a bad cell and replaced the battery. I've had no problems in over a year now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
"Luckily" I made a big mistake and left my trailer hooked up to the car for 2 weeks. Drained the battery dead, so I got a new battery 6 months after I got the car. Bought a much better battery!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my 2020 7 passenger Limited on 31 Oct, over the following weekend I was going over everything and going through all the electronic menus. I started and shut off the engine numerous times without any problems, always started right up. Sunday afternoon after going over things in the back I went to close the tailgate manually, not used to the electronic function, well after closing it some I realized that I should use the button to close it so I did. It didn't sound like it closed tight but the gate appeared fully closed. Twenty four hours later I went to remotely start the car and it said there was a door ajar. Well I went out to the car could find nothing ajar got in and attempted to start it, didn't start, dead battery. A quick jump from my other car and the Subie started right up. So what in the tailgate will cause the battery to drain? How long can the tailgate be left open and not drain the battery? In reading other comments this seems to be the problem and mainly associated with the tailgate. Any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd call SoA.

Yes they will not cover wear items such as brakes,wiper blades,battery,etc.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Almost every wear item on a Subaru is covered during the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,200 Posts
Subaru's 3/36 Warranty specifically includes brake pads, wiper blades, etc...in writing.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2020 Ascent Limited has had 3 episodes of dead battery, each after having the tailgate open for extended periods while packing for a trip. The first time, at only 1600 miles, the dealer replaced the battery under warranty. After the second dead battery, the dealer kept the car overnight for testing, but did not find any parasitic draw. Most recent dead battery at 9000 miles was again after tailgate was open for a few hours while packing. No interior lights were on while the gate was open, but I had opened and closed gate several times.
My question: Is just an open tailgate the cause of battery drain, or is it due to opening and closing it too many times??

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
No interior lights were on while the gate was open, but I had opened and closed gate several times.
Every time you open the gate or open any car door, it restarts the 20 minute timeout, and the car will draw roughly 4 amps of power, which will eventually drain the battery. I camp, or spend a whole day setting up my for-trip overlanding/storage/camping setup, but, what I do is open the liftgate and leave it open until done, and minimize or eliminate the amounts of times I open a car door.

Eventually, I got a monstrous battery (the absolute largest and absolutely most powerful that will fit in an Ascent), but that's to be able to power my 9,500 pound winch and my dual zone fridge/freezer. The added bonus is that I can open and close doors a lot more often, if I want to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts