Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think Doug nailed it - it's a very practical car. And many Subie owners go for practicality first (I know my family does).
Interesting that he liked steering. I saw many posts about soft steering being too soft.

I for one love Ascent steering way better then firmer steering of my wife's Forester '16

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good video. He's the first reviewer I've seen that has mentioned the configurable adaptive cruise control speed. That's a great feature I had no idea about!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm wondering if that journal he mentioned is just that specific dealership's strategy? Because I didn't get anything like it when we picked our Ascent up and I haven't seen or heard anyone else mention it either.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm wondering if that journal he mentioned is just that specific dealership's strategy? Because I didn't get anything like it when we picked our Ascent up and I haven't seen or heard anyone else mention it either.
I received the journal when I picked up our Ascent and they explained what it was for. I haven't used it, but we have one.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
No journal either for me

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another quirk Doug missed: using the velcro to hold up the hidden trunk compartment so that you can have a deeper strorage space in the trunk. I think Doug would've liked that. :)

I like Doug's reviews generally - he does some great reviews of random cars. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
No journal either for me
I didn't get my journal and pen until I went to my encore appointment. They gave it to me with the gas card. I actually have 2 because the first one had a damaged cover when they handed to me, so they said here take another.

Doug doesn't do a lot of family car reviews. He did a few over the top SUV's/Trucks because of the pricing. He did the Honda Odyssey because fully loaded it is almost $60K.

I think his pull to this was that Subaru has been out of the game for a while and they really did a great job this time jumping back in and being competitive. They offer a lot of bang for the buck in comparison without being over the top.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I noticed the water bottles in the center console were loosely fitting!! haha. Nice review -his scores were fairly low for performance and driving experience, but that is okay. Subaru owners know what they want and they want the Ascent!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Doug has a very specific niche in the crowded auto-journo world and he owns it. He also mentioned on Reddit yesterday that he needs to review these types of vehicles from time to time since they are the bread and butter of the industry (my words) and he needs to review these cars to stay relevant.

He used to let readers choose his next "Dougcar" and then he made videos about them. That business model didn't pan out so well as Youtube views dwindled after the initial excitement was gone. He made a change and his latest was a purchase of a 2005 Ford GT that he did not let his readers choose. Some of his best material (IMO) is with his used Range Rover with the full Carmax warranty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After watching his video, I went out to the garage and searched all the cubbies and cutouts in our Ascent. Unfortunately, I didn't find one of those nice little journals with the Subaru pen to write down my thoughts. Oh well, life's a bitch and then you die. :crying:

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
After watching his video, I went out to the garage and searched all the cubbies and cutouts in our Ascent. Unfortunately, I didn't find one of those nice little journals with the Subaru pen to write down my thoughts. Oh well, life's a bitch and then you die. :crying:
It's only given out by the dealerships who are in the pilot training program where you come back with any questions in two weeks for additional training.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
19 cup holders. My wife and kid already have a habit of filling ALL cup holders in our Outback with half consumed beverages. I have to go clean them out in their various states of decay. Now with 19? Crud...
That's so funny. My kids are in their late 20's and I recently have found these items stuffed into the cup holders: tissues, hair clips, half-empty water bottles, soda bottles, paper clips, coupons, etc. It never gets any better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts