Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn the car off and open the driver's door, I get a chime. Used to have this in cars if the keys were left in the ignition, but never on any of my previous cars with keyless entry. Am I missing a reason for this? Is there any way to turn it off? I have looked through all the menus and cannot find an "off". I find it to be quite annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same exact issue on my 2021. After turning off the car and opening the driver's door to exit, the car starts chiming and a warning pops up that the door is open. It's annoying as I know the door is open, I'm trying to exit the car.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
113 Posts
This only occurs if you open the door BEFORE turning the car off (I do it all the time too!). Give it a shot. Stop the car, turn off the car ... THEN open the driver side door. No more chime.

It's doing this to indicate the door was open when the car was on ... and when you turn off the car the warning still exists.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
It gets even more annoying, for good reason, if you open the drivers door while still in gear!
Thankfully the Ascent is smart enough to apply the parking brake if you accidentally do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This only occurs if you open the door BEFORE turning the car off (I do it all the time too!). Give it a shot. Stop the car, turn off the car ... THEN open the driver side door. No more chime.

It's doing this to indicate the door was open when the car was on ... and when you turn off the car the warning still exists.
Thank you! I just tested this out. It would appear that I am a little too quick and sometimes open the door a few seconds before I turn the car off. That would explain why it wouldn't happen all the time. Case closed.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
113 Posts
It would appear that I am a little too quick and sometimes open the door a few seconds before I turn the car off.
I do it ALL the time, even when I am trying not to. The part that gets me is the radio continuing to play when the car is off, until the door is open. So, many times my brain doesn't actually realize the car is OFF or ON ... and I have even stepped out of the car and nearly walked away ... and the car was still running! Ugh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
2 Posts
Hi all, I have a door chime question for the Ascent that I have not seen on other cars that I have driven and this is the closest thread to the issue I can find. The door chime goes on when I open the driver side door either entering or exiting the vehicle. I have verified the vehicle is off before releasing the seatbelt as noted earlier in the thread and that doesn't stop the chiming. I have also taken the vehicle to two separate dealers and they say this is a standard item that can't be silenced. If I am entering the vehicle when it is off, I have no clue why the chime would need to go on to let me know the door is open. This is an upgrade for my wife from her Crosstrek that didn't do this so it seems strange to the both of us.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
The chime indicates you have a key fob inside the vehicle while it's turned off...it's to warn you so you don't try to lock your keys in the vehicle. It's never an issue for me because the fob is always on my person, but many folks throw their keys in the cup holder or wherever including a purse, so they can conceivably be easily left in the vehicle.

There is another warning for when you leave the vehicle with the fob but it's still running...

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
2 Posts
Thanks for the response. I did test the theory out keeping my keys in the house and opening the door. I still get the chime with or without the key fob in the car so hoping something else could be causing this and could be turned off.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
113 Posts
Thanks for the response. I did test the theory out keeping my keys in the house and opening the door. I still get the chime with or without the key fob in the car so hoping something else could be causing this and could be turned off.
SO, if I understand correctly ... you walk out to your unlocked Ascent with keys left in the house. Then, you open the car door and you get the door chime? If that is the case, this is different behavior than I experience. Are you under warranty? May want to have it checked out.

The chime is to indicate "something". In my previous post, it was to indicate that the driver's door was opened PRIOR to shutting off the car. In other instances, it may indicate something else. But, if your unlocked car is in the driveway and you open the door and get the chime ... that's not normal behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts