Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a practically new 2020 Ascent and almost immediately noticed that the driver's door makes a loud high-pitched noise when closing, kind of like you're squishing a loud mouse. Interestingly, when I took it in to service for the techs to look at it, they showed me that practically all of the Ascents on their lot had this issue.

Does anyone else notice this noise? If so, anyone been able to figure out what is causing it?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have a practically new 2020 Ascent and almost immediately noticed that the driver's door makes a loud high-pitched noise when closing, kind of like you're squishing a loud mouse. Interestingly, when I took it in to service for the techs to look at it, they showed me that practically all of the Ascents on their lot had this issue.

Does anyone else notice this noise? If so, anyone been able to figure out what is causing it?
I am curious as to whether you isolated the noise to the hinge or rubber gaskets. If the noise is coming from the rubber gaskets, where along the edge of the door is it starting from? If from the gaskets, it could be simply they need to be broken in. Maybe they can be treated with some lubricant that dose not break them down but assists in allowing them to be more flexible. If the noise is emanating from the hinge, than either the door is not properly aligned (check for even gaps along the edge) or it needs better lubrication.

Also check that the gaskets are properly seated in their groove.

After watching the video a few times, it sounds like it comes from the gaskets after about 2/3 of the door is closed. Follow suggestions above to further isolate the noise (also close door slower to help isolate noise).

This video confirms my suspicion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kVdr_HKaOk

·
Registered
38 Posts
It can't be all Ascents because I picked up my 2020 two weeks ago and all fours doors open/close perfectly quiet. Might be a certain batch of 2020's.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It can't be all Ascents because I picked up my 2020 two weeks ago and all fours doors open/close perfectly quiet. Might be a certain batch of 2020's.
It is not a manufacturing defect. Rubber compounds react differently in different environments. As I note above there is a very simple fix using a special silicone spray. My Limited with 13000 miles does not squeak. If it did, I would spray the rubber. By the way, it is a good idea to spray them anyway to keep them pliable over the years.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
It is not a manufacturing defect. Rubber compounds react differently in different environments. As I note above there is a very simple fix using a special silicone spray. My Limited with 13000 miles does not squeak. If it did, I would spray the rubber. By the way, it is a good idea to spray them anyway to keep them pliable over the years.
Is that just any silicone lubricant spray or is there a special spray you use and how do you apply it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If that is the case then an easy fix. Not disagreeing with your assessment but in the video what I don't like is the sound when the door is opened initially. It sounds loud and possibly the door latch is not adjusted correctly. All my doors unlatch easy and are super quiet when opening not like in the video. Just a thought.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Open your rear driver side door and leave it propped open about 45 degrees, and try the driver's front door again, with a quick motion pulling opening the door at least a foot or so. If you hear the same original sound but louder, then it's probably a weather seal catching something.

Explanation: If your car is like mine and many other Ascents, the front door weather seal catches the rear door edge when the rear is positioned midway open. I'm ok with this engineering flaw (or unfortunate engineering decision), since this scenario doesn't happen too often for me. Anyway, your video sounded a bit like this same high pitch clucking, so I thought I'd put it out there.

F.S.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If that is the case then an easy fix. Not disagreeing with your assessment but in the video what I don't like is the sound when the door is opened initially. It sounds loud and possibly the door latch is not adjusted correctly. All my doors unlatch easy and are super quiet when opening not like in the video. Just a thought.
The easy fix is based solely on a squeaky weatherstrip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am curious as to whether you isolated the noise to the hinge or rubber gaskets. If the noise is coming from the rubber gaskets, where along the edge of the door is it starting from? If from the gaskets, it could be simply they need to be broken in. Maybe they can be treated with some lubricant that dose not break them down but assists in allowing them to be more flexible. If the noise is emanating from the hinge, than either the door is not properly aligned (check for even gaps along the edge) or it needs better lubrication.

Also check that the gaskets are properly seated in their groove.

After watching the video a few times, it sounds like it comes from the gaskets after about 2/3 of the door is closed. Follow suggestions above to further isolate the noise (also close door slower to help isolate noise).

This video confirms my suspicion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kVdr_HKaOk
I appreciate the detailed response! The sound is definitely not coming from the hinge - it seems to be coming from the right side (facing the door) near the top, but it's somewhat hard to isolate beyond that. I'll check the gaskets to see if they're properly seated and see if some lubrication helps.

My initial suspicion was that it was actual air being pushed out of a tiny hole somewhere on the seal (a faulty door seal). The dealership ended up replacing the entire seal just in case, but that didn't fix it. After that, they tested a number of Ascents on the lot and it was clearly present on most of them, so they're calling it a "characteristic" of the vehicle.

I'll keep everyone updated if I can narrow down the source or if its fixed by lubricating the weather seal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MIne did it today. I have no doubt it's the weather seal farting. This should be very easy to fix when I get a moment in the garage...
Let me know if you figure out a fix. I just spent some time with mine in the garage lubricating pretty much every seal I could get my hands on with dry silicone. Still makes the annoying high-pitch noise. I guess on the bright side, everyone looks at my car when I close my door. Hah.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
MIne did it today. I have no doubt it's the weather seal farting. This should be very easy to fix when I get a moment in the garage...
This might work. https://www.amazon.com/3M-Silicone-...000MQX7K2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Similar to that - but not specifically that one. I had some dry silicone spray kicking around in the garage. Anything special about the 3M spray that would make it different?
Not sure. I just thought I would post one exemplar that supposedly would work on clean rubber surfaces. I do not have the problem so I can not comment from personal experience. If the surface was clean (the VW tech suggests window cleaner) and the silicone was sprayed on a rag and then applied sufficiently it should work. It sounds like it is a function of pliability for a rugged rubber seal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.