Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently had a dealership look at and acknowledge waviness/distortions in the driver's side front window glass of my Ascent. The same issue is happening on the passenger side glass. The two rear windows, as far as I can tell, do not have this defect. Replacement glass was ordered (not installed) and it, too, has the same waviness and another Ascent on the lot has the problem. Now they are saying that's a characteristic of the laminated glass. The two rear door windows are laminated and they don't have the same issue, so I definitely not buying that excuse.

Anyone else having the same problem with their side window glass?

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello,

I recently had a dealership look at and acknowledge waviness/distortions in the driver's side front window glass of my Ascent. The same issue is happening on the passenger side glass. The two rear windows, as far as I can tell, do not have this defect. Replacement glass was ordered (not installed) and it, too, has the same waviness and another Ascent on the lot has the problem. Now they are saying that's a characteristic of the laminated glass. The two rear door windows are laminated and they don't have the same issue, so I definitely not buying that excuse.

Anyone else having the same problem with their side window glass?

Thanks!
That news to me. I thought all the side windows and rear were tempered glass....and that windshield and panoramic roof laminated. ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That news to me. I thought all the side windows and rear were tempered glass....and that windshield and panoramic roof laminated. ?
You can see the laminated layers by rolling down the windows and looking at the edge. You'll see the edges are not 100% smooth because of the lamination layer sandwiched between two outer sheets of glass. This is true on at least the 4 door windows. I do not know if the windshield, hatch or rear 2 fixed side windows or front two fixed side windows on the doors are also laminated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have distortion on both front windows but small enough to tolerate it.
It is definitely noticeable when viewing on extreme angles.

That is awesome the dealer is going to swap it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I may be totally off base here, so I hope one of the better unformed tech posters here will know the answer.

IIRC it used to be that most of the glass except for the w/s was tempered. Starting several years ago, to meet federal occupant ejection standards, more and more of the tempered glass has been replaced with laminated. In many cases the manufacturers are calling this acoustic glass since the sandwich layer has a sound damping effect. Windshields have been made stronger also and got the "acoustic" treatment.

My guess is that these are new products and the mass production quality isn't yet up to the standards of the old product. There have been Outback owners on the Outback boards complaining about distorted side glass on their gen 5's, and they have acoustic glass. That's my best guess. Maybe somebody who really knows will explain it better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I notice a little bit of distortion on the driver's side window when I use the side mirror but it is very minor. I do not notice the problem on the passenger side.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have distortion on both front windows but small enough to tolerate it.
It is definitely noticeable when viewing on extreme angles.

That is awesome the dealer is going to swap it out.
Except the new glass has the same defect. No reason to swap it for the same garbage.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The two front windows and windshields are acoustic glass.

The rears are not. Not sure if there is a thickness difference perceptible by the naked eye but you can definitely hear it when you tap on it with your knuckles

I haven’t really noticed it on mine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two front windows and windshields are acoustic glass.

The rears are not. Not sure if there is a thickness difference perceptible by the naked eye but you can definitely hear it when you tap on it with your knuckles

I haven’t really noticed it on mine.
You are correct; they are the front two windows and windshield. For some reason, I remember being told (probably by a salesman) that all of the side windows were laminated. My fault. I think I am going to have the dealer keep getting replacement glass and inspecting each one ahead of time to see if it is acceptable to install. Seems like a big crap shoot each time due to poor QC on the side glass. The 2018 Outback I looked at yesterday also has laminated glass, but not the waviness. So, it can be done if Subaru just chooses not to suck on the Ascent glass.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had 2 Ford Flexes - 2010 and 2015, both with laminated front driver and passenger door glass. No issues with either car, clean, clear and crisp viewing out of it, not different than any other window. Laminated glass is not the cause of this. Maybe the process which the supplier laminates the glass vs. Ford's supplier/spec is different.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had 2 Ford Flexes - 2010 and 2015, both with laminated front driver and passenger door glass. No issues with either car, clean, clear and crisp viewing out of it, not different than any other window. Laminated glass is not the cause of this. Maybe the process which the supplier laminates the glass vs. Ford's supplier/spec is different.
Yep, this is the conclusion I am arriving to. The 2018 Outbacks I looked at have laminated glass, no waviness. This is a defect that is specific to the Ascent, apparently. I do not expect a positive resolution from Subaru on this, especially considering the replacement glass that was ordered had the same defects. It's a QC issue that Subaru needs to get a handle on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep, this is the conclusion I am arriving to. The 2018 Outbacks I looked at have laminated glass, no waviness. This is a defect that is specific to the Ascent, apparently. I do not expect a positive resolution from Subaru on this, especially considering the replacement glass that was ordered had the same defects. It's a QC issue that Subaru needs to get a handle on.
Honestly, I think you will see a positive resolution from Subaru. If this is brought to their attention, I am sure they will find clear glass for you and replace it. It does not sound like this is a widespread issue. The glass you have (both) could be out of a bad batch or two. I am sure if they become aware of this and spot check their product, they will work with their supplier to correct the issue moving forward AND for clients that have an issue.

My Bro-In-Law used to work for a company in Indiana that supplied parts to Subaru. When issues arose, they worked with Subaru to establish a new QC/Inspection process to improve their quality product to the production facility.

I would suggest to continue working with your dealer, be patient but persistent and things will hopefully get worked out.

Best of luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, I think you will see a positive resolution from Subaru. If this is brought to their attention, I am sure they will find clear glass for you and replace it. It does not sound like this is a widespread issue. The glass you have (both) could be out of a bad batch or two. I am sure if they become aware of this and spot check their product, they will work with their supplier to correct the issue moving forward AND for clients that have an issue.

My Bro-In-Law used to work for a company in Indiana that supplied parts to Subaru. When issues arose, they worked with Subaru to establish a new QC/Inspection process to improve their quality product to the production facility.

I would suggest to continue working with your dealer, be patient but persistent and things will hopefully get worked out.

Best of luck
I do not share your optimism at this point, but I have no choice in the matter but to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I know it will be a bandaid, but get the windows tinted and you won't notice it at all. The tint will then serve 3 purposes:
  • Reduce the heat in the vehicle
  • Protect the upholstery in the vehicle
  • Minimize the effect of the waviness in the window glass

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it will be a bandaid, but get the windows tinted and you won't notice it at all. The tint will then serve 3 purposes:
  • Reduce the heat in the vehicle
  • Protect the upholstery in the vehicle
  • Minimize the effect of the waviness in the window glass
Appreciate the suggestion, but I am not looking for a bandaid; I am looking for a permanent solution to defective glass. On top of that, I don't want tinted windows. They are good enough for me as-is from the factory.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello,

Just an update on this thread. I have been working with the service manager at my local Subaru dealership and he's ordered 3 pieces of driver's side front door glass. The first one, which I looked at, still had waviness. The 2nd arrived damaged in shipping. The 3rd one he thought looked pretty good and better than the one in my Ascent. I will be looking at it tomorrow. On top of this, he showed the issue to his District Service Manager and they confirmed the issue in other Ascents on their lot. He took pictures and is forwarding it to Subaru. I was told the only official word from Subaru is that they are aware of the issue and nothing more. I have to say that this issue was taken seriously by the dealership; I was not blown-off. It appears Subaru may be taking the issue seriously, but I may not ever know for sure. In any case, I have to retract some of my previous comments about my expectations.

I have a feeling that if Subaru confirms this problem, it may result in a TSB.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
It's either contagious or warranted...

Hello,

Just an update on this thread. I have been working with the service manager at my local Subaru dealership and he's ordered 3 pieces of driver's side front door glass. The first one, which I looked at, still had waviness. The 2nd arrived damaged in shipping. The 3rd one he thought looked pretty good and better than the one in my Ascent. I will be looking at it tomorrow. On top of this, he showed the issue to his District Service Manager and they confirmed the issue in other Ascents on their lot. He took pictures and is forwarding it to Subaru. I was told the only official word from Subaru is that they are aware of the issue and nothing more. I have to say that this issue was taken seriously by the dealership; I was not blown-off. It appears Subaru may be taking the issue seriously, but I may not ever know for sure. In any case, I have to retract some of my previous comments about my expectations.

As each month passes, your expectations will slowly continue to increase, whether because it's infectious and you caught the "raised expectations bug" from us, or because that's simply how Subaru works and why they have the most loyal following of any car company.

But either way, it will probably happen. Most people aren't immune.

:grin: :tango_face_wink: :grin:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As each month passes, your expectations will slowly continue to increase, whether because it's infectious and you caught the "raised expectations bug" from us, or because that's simply how Subaru works and why they have the most loyal following of any car company.

But either way, it will probably happen. Most people aren't immune.

:grin: :tango_face_wink: :grin:
It's a personal fault of mine: the more money I spend on an object -- a car, a house, etc -- my standards and expectations raise. Perhaps this is natural for many folks, but I tend to take things to an extreme. Combine this with the overwhelming positive feedback I have heard about Subaru from literally dozens of different people, both here and in my personal life and the bar was set even higher. The upside is if the product meets those tough expectations, you can bet I will be extremely loyal to that brand, whatever it is.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for the hard work you and the other Ambassadors put into these forums by disseminating quality information and helping folks as best as you can. I have been a benefactor of that and I really don't think I'd get that from a Chevy Traverse forum (as one example) or many other places.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for posting this information. I have this issue as well.

From the driver's seat, the bottom right corner of my windshield is wavy. It's only noticeable if you are not moving and look in that direction. It's not a factor at all if the car is even moving at a snail's pace. It seems that even replacements are hit or miss. I don't necessarily plan on changing it, especially if it's a TSB and would be on my dime. If it bugs me down the road, maybe...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts