Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides never parking next to another vehicle, any advice on door dings on the Ascent?

Anyone notice more on this vehicle than previous ones?

I used to have a side step on my Jeep to stop other vehicle doors from hitting my vehicle.

My last Land Rover only had one ding at trade in. I have three on the Ascent passenger side. Any quick fix to get them out?

I am that person that picks spots that only one or no cars can usually park next to me.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I see no reason the Ascent would be more vulnerable than other cars, but is a reason to consider both the body-side mouldings and door edge guards. I had both installed and like them very much, though some on this forum have stated that they think they’re unattractive - to each his own. Had them installed on both my Forester and Crosstrek and can attest that they don’t prevent all dings as it depends on the shape of the offending car’s door or shopping cart, but they help. As a side note, I like to park right next to the lone vehicles parked in the outer reaches of the Walmart parking lot, just for fun...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see no reason the Ascent would be more vulnerable than other cars, but is a reason to consider both the body-side mouldings and door edge guards. I had both installed and like them very much, though some on this forum have stated that they think they’re unattractive - to each his own. Had them installed on both my Forester and Crosstrek and can attest that they don’t prevent all dings as it depends on the shape of the offending car’s door or shopping cart, but they help. As a side note, I like to park right next to the lone vehicles parked in the outer reaches of the Walmart parking lot, just for fun...
Coincidentally I do believe that is where I got at least 1 of my three dings. Maybe you did it on purpose... Lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Find a good dentless repair guy had my 2015 Forester XT done about a half dozen times. Looks like new. If your in Chicago I can refer you a guy.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I had several dings repaired on my Forester using a local guy who fixes small dings using the paintless repair method, and he did an incredible job that was well worth the money. He commented that Subarus appear to have some of the thinnest metal body panels of all of the car’s he works on, which I guess would make them more susceptible to dings. I assume it’s a weight-saving and cost-saving measure on the part of Subaru. But he also mentioned that it makes his job easier.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Besides never parking next to another vehicle, any advice on door dings on the Ascent?

I used to have a side step on my Jeep to stop other vehicle doors from hitting my vehicle.

My last Land Rover only had one ding at trade in. I have three on the Ascent passenger side. Any quick fix to get them out?

I am that person that picks spots that only one or no cars can usually park next to me.
The only way to avoid door dings is to never park in a space that can be occupied by another car. This is difficult (and sometimes impossible) and requires dedication, but it works. Side moldings are also a must for the times when you can't find a lone parking spot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where are you guys getting your Body side molding from? We purchased an Ascent Premium a week and a half ago, the next day I got online and ordered accessories, mud guards,rear bumper protector, door sill protectors, rear seat protectors and body side molding, all was available except the color matched body side molding.which they let me know after I had already ordered. Spoke with customer service and told me none were available on the market yet, so they credited the money back for the molding and will receive everything else.. I am also looking for the Chrome piece that which is at the bottom that fits into the plastic on the rocker panels that are on the limited and touring models..

·
Registered
35 Posts

I try to do the same but people are just negligent! I was at Costco last week and this a*****e hit my car with their mirror. I am lucky that there isn't any dents ( looks like all surface) and the body shop is telling me that they can buff it out. I sure hope so!

Sigh! Anyway all the best for the New Year!

Alain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Where are you guys getting your Body side molding from? We purchased an Ascent Premium a week and a half ago, the next day I got online and ordered accessories, mud guards,rear bumper protector, door sill protectors, rear seat protectors and body side molding, all was available except the color matched body side molding.which they let me know after I had already ordered. Spoke with customer service and told me none were available on the market yet, so they credited the money back for the molding and will receive everything else.. I am also looking for the Chrome piece that which is at the bottom that fits into the plastic on the rocker panels that are on the limited and touring models..
See this thread before buying Subaru side moldings. The aftermarket one are better and less expensive. You can get them here.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I try to do the same but people are just negligent! I was at Costco last week and this a*****e hit my car with their mirror. I am lucky that there isn't any dents ( looks like all surface) and the body shop is telling me that they can buff it out. I sure hope so!

Sigh! Anyway all the best for the New Year!

Alain
Must been a low riding car to mark that spot- What make are your rims? They look great

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone find OEM touch-up paint? Want to hit the chip from the ding so it does not rust.

I tried the heat gun / canned air DIY. It did pop the panel and I think made the dings less prominent, but they are still there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Must been a low riding car to mark that spot- What make are your rims? They look great
Yes, they told me a smaller car model.

I really like my rims from Braelin and my Blizzak DMV 2 winter tires. Not only they look great, but they are outstanding for winter drive.

Total 1799.00 + tax Canadian funds (rims and tires).

Regards, Alain

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Anyone find OEM touch-up paint? Want to hit the chip from the ding so it does not rust.

I tried the heat gun / canned air DIY. It did pop the panel and I think made the dings less prominent, but they are still there.
I got my OEM touch-up paint from the dealer. They had to order it and it took about two weeks to come in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my OEM touch-up paint from the dealer. They had to order it and it took about two weeks to come in.
Thanks.

Anyone have the side molding installed? If so, with the interesting shape of the Ascent doors, does it appear most other vehicles would hit the moldings and not the metal doors?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Thanks.

Anyone have the side molding installed? If so, with the interesting shape of the Ascent doors, does it appear most other vehicles would hit the moldings and not the metal doors?
Yes. I have the Subaru body side moldings installed on mine. Have done the same for both my Forester and Crosstrek. I like them, but no body side molding is going to protect you from all potential ding threats out there. Another poster stated his support for an aftermarket type that's "better and cheaper." No doubt they are less expensive, but not sure what "better" means.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.