Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DOOR AUTO LOCK/UNLOCK ODDITIES?
Affected Vehicles:

• 2018-2019 Legacy/Outback
  • 2019-2020 Forester
  • 2019 Ascent
So, a number of you with 2019 Ascents have complained about oddities pertaining to when or if your doors auto-unlock. A while back, I explained that it was due to the system canceling auto-unlock if a passenger initiated any door unlock/open activity before you did.

Some of us mentioned to SoA that we'd like to see that changed. Well, in the usual Subaru fashion, that means they listened... and changed it. :love:

For those of you with 2019 Model Year Subaru Ascents or 2018-2019 Leggy/Outbacks or 2019-2020 Foz's, (whether key start or pushbutton) who are not happy with the way that auto unlock gets canceled by passenger actions, on your next oil change and tire rotation, ask your Service Coordinator to look up TSB 07-162-19 and apply the programming update.

For those of you who ARE happy with the way it works, there's nothing to do.

#SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks, Robert! We've experienced this a number of times on our Friday night food shopping trips because...well...can't open the back with the button when Professor Dr. SWMBO opens the passenger door a proverbial hair sooner than I get to mine until "re-unlocking" it. ;) I'll get this applied when I get my next "earl change", which unfortunately will be soon due to yet another Florida round trip.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thank you!

I can't count the number of times when my wife jumped out of the car before the locks auto unlocked, then I went to the 2nd row door to open it up to let my daughter out only to find the door was locked. That would force me to tap the front door handle to get it to unlock. It was always an awkward dance.

Eventually I set the locks to unlock when shifted into park. That fixed my issue, but I'd rather have the doors unlock when the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not sure if I've experienced this scenario before because I always seem to be the first to get out of the car. But if it happens in the future, I would know why. Thanks Robert.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good stuff Robert,will bring this up at the next servicing.
Haven’t annoyed me enough yet but it has whenever the wife gets out first to grab something from the backseat.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is a welcome improvement for me. I don't want to unlock with shift, because sometimes we park and sit in the car for a bit (figure out grocery list, answer a text, etc.) and it's not time yet to open the car.

But for quick open or not, the same unlocking should occur (IMO) whether I opened first or not. Looking forward to my next service!

F.S.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wife- “why you keep locking the back doors?!”
Me- “it’s not me honey,it’s the car!”

4x today I had to hit the unlock button,since reading this thread it’s been in my head like a bad dream and I can officially say that it is annoying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In for oil change today, asked for this TSB. All is well.

*side note: In my experience, one cannot simply 'ask for' a specific TSB and today it took some convincing for this one.

Finally, I had to say "The auto-unlock fails to work IF another door is opened before the driver door. This is a bug, please reference the TSB 07-162-19 ..." Then he said ok, we'll note it for the tech to diagnose. The key is to make sure you request it as a 'problem' not a 'preference change'.

Now off to Mt. Bachelor for the weekend!!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally, I had to say "The auto-unlock fails to work IF another door is opened. This is a bug, please reference the TSB 07-162-19 ..." Then he said ok, we'll note it for the tech to diagnose. The key is to make sure you request it as a 'problem' not a 'preference change'.
Excellent point!!! I sometimes forget my relationship with "my" techs and service writers isn't quite the norm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had this done today as well but havent tested it. I just said that there was a peculiarity with the auto-unlock feature, described the issue, and gave the TSB # to fix it. The advisor phrased it in such a way that made it sound like a problem, rather than a preference.

They also said my cabin filter needs to be replaced, but didn't replace it. Not a big deal, but I thought this would be covered with the 2yr/24mo "free" maintenance?

·
Registered
343 Posts
They also said my cabin filter needs to be replaced, but didn't replace it. Not a big deal, but I thought this would be covered with the 2yr/24mo "free" maintenance?
The cabin filter is included in my free maintenance deal.

Maybe tell your advisor, and "compromise" for the lack of it being done by having him comping you a filter instead of you leaving the car and incurring mechanic time. Then follow the thread instructions for replacing it, and you'll be all set for when your free maintenance is over (y)

F.S.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The cabin filter is included in my free maintenance deal.

Maybe tell your advisor, and "compromise" for the lack of it being done by having him comping you a filter instead of you leaving the car and incurring mechanic time. Then follow the thread instructions for replacing it, and you'll be all set for when your free maintenance is over (y)

F.S.
Actually, it was written in pen “air filter next time”. I thought they were referring to the engine filter, but they must’ve meant the cabin one. No big deal. They’ll do it in 4K miles from now.

...oh, and I tested the new Auto Unlock feature and it works! I now have it set to unlock when I unlock the driver’s door.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had this done today as well but havent tested it. I just said that there was a peculiarity with the auto-unlock feature, described the issue, and gave the TSB # to fix it. The advisor phrased it in such a way that made it sound like a problem, rather than a preference.

replacing the cabin filter is very simple for any owner to complete. Of course, if it covered by a maintenance plan then I would have them do it at the next convenient time for you. It only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
replacing the cabin filter is very simple for any owner to complete. Of course, if it covered by a maintenance plan then I would have them do it at the next convenient time for you. It only takes a few minutes.
Yup, I'm fully aware of the ease of this. And exaclty, I want my "free" filter from the dealer first. I usually buy carbon filters for extra adsorption, though I do not know if they actually work any better. :p

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yup, I'm fully aware of the ease of this. And exaclty, I want my "free" filter from the dealer first. I usually buy carbon filters for extra adsorption, though I do not know if they actually work any better. :p

from another dealer's advertisement. "If you decide to purchase your new Subaru from us, you will enjoy two years of scheduled complimentary vehicle maintenance. Whether you need an oil change, a tire rotation, or an air filter change, our service technicians have you covered! " Just out of curiousity, what was their reasoning for not installing it under the 2 year maintenance plan?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what was their reasoning for not installing it under the 2 year maintenance plan?
My guess is that they want to get as many cars through their bays as possible. They're always swamped. My dealer only does 2 PCVs per day and I already surprised them with auto-lock TSB, which they obliged. Maybe changing out the cabin filter would take up a little more shop time than they allocated for me? I'm going back for my final free service fairly soon anyway, so it's not such a big deal to wait until then. As mentioned a few posts up, they wrote in pen that they'd change it next time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Probably take the tech longer to obtain the filter from the parts dept. than to actually install it,that’s how quick and easy it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts