Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I've often discussed (a) how important load rating is on aftermarket rims, and (b) why no one should EVER use any other Subaru rim for any other model of Subaru (except maybe the Tribeca) because of the concerns of cracking a rim.

Here's my rim, rated at 1,800 pounds, with a nice crack in it. It happened on roading, in a massive pot hole on one of Long Island's parkway.

ALWAYS confirm proper load ratings (and other specs) of wheels and tires. ALWAYS talk to the experts, like my friends at @Discount Tire, to help you find the right wheels and tires. I'll be reaching out to them for a replacement, soon.

This could have been disastrous. Thankfully, it was just a slow, ever increasing, leak (from a slowly growing crack). I suspect in a few more miles, it would have failed horribly, sending chunks of rim everywhere, endangering me and others.

I can't even imagine what would have happened with an STI or Outback rim.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is my fear for any aftermarket rim - no matter the load rating. The way I see it, the OEM wheels are designed with safety as the #1 priority. Can’t have your fleet of cars crashing due to shoddy wheels.

Glad you’re okay.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our NYC roads have cracked a couple of my OEM rims and dented some steelies, as well as destroyed some tires. 😕😔

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
The moral to this story isn't whether or not one is using OEM wheels or aftermarket wheels...even the best of them can get destroyed from nasty potholes, etc., but if someone uses a poor quality product or even a good quality product that is not rated to handle the heft of a vehicle like the Ascent, the result can be disastrous. Specifications matter.

'Glad you were able to quickly recover from that Robert and that it didn't shatter while you were moving!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did the tire survive?
The KO2s I'm running are ridiculously beefy light truck tires. Even fully flat, the sidewalls don't fold and flatten. Close, but not quite.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My daughter had an encounter with a LI IceTea Special pothole on the LIE with her ‘21 Corolla,luckily it didn’t blow while she was driving but found out the next day the damage done to the tire but the wheel survived.

Glad nothing seriously happened Robert,things can be replaced.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have had 2 rounds of aftermarket rims which have had impact issues.

Street.

I would have to agree that I do not think an OEM wheel would have sustained the same damage. Damage, but different. Not as structural.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I wish my stock rim would have only cracked. the failure mode on mine was much more dramatic and lost all air pressure immediately. This may be a plus for your rims since they only cracked and did not blow out like my stock rim.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had 2 rounds of aftermarket rims which have had impact issues.

Street.

I would have to agree that I do not think an OEM wheel would have sustained the same damage. Damage, but different. Not as structural.
This is an OEM Ascent rim. And, as you all know, it doesn't go through the abuse mine do. This is @RobertD rim, for those who don't click his link.

I've had other OEM rims fail on our horrible NYC potholes.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did your aftermarket wheel bottom out when it hits the pothole? city road or freeway?
Yes, and city parkway. By now, the hole is gone. Been driving on it for 2 weeks, thinking it was a slow leak in the tire. The tire shop found it when they "leak sprayed" the tire.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, and city parkway. By now, the hole is gone. Been driving on it for 2 weeks, thinking it was a slow leak in the tire. The tire shop found it when they "leak sprayed" the tire.
Dang that's crazy and your wheels got a lot of meat too. Now I might need like 16" wheel (and remove my calipers) w/ 31" tires ... lol

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hey all, I've often discussed (a) how important load rating is on aftermarket rims, and (b) why no one should EVER use any other Subaru rim for any other model of Subaru (except maybe the Tribeca) because of the concerns of cracking a rim.

Here's my rim, rated at 1,800 pounds, with a nice crack in it. It happened on roading, in a massive pot hole on one of Long Island's parkway.

View attachment 11321

ALWAYS confirm proper load ratings (and other specs) of wheels and tires. ALWAYS talk to the experts, like my friends at @Discount Tire, to help you find the right wheels and tires. I'll be reaching out to them for a replacement, soon.
View attachment 11322

This could have been disastrous. Thankfully, it was just a slow, ever increasing, leak (from a slowly growing crack). I suspect in a few more miles, it would have failed horribly, sending chunks of rim everywhere, endangering me and others.

I can't even imagine what would have happened with an STI or Outback rim.
Sorry to see that happened to you. I commuted many years from Warwick, NY to Pelham, NY and this time of year was always pot hole hell. Can't count the number of tires, struts, shocks I coughed up big $ for over the years. Don't miss those days at all. You might think about heading to a more liveable weatherwise and otherwise part of the country if and when you get the chance. Your vehicles will thank you for itI

·
Registered
17 Posts
No offense but load rating has nothing to do with shock impact from ramming a pot hole. Two entirely different forces. No on road rim is made to withstand hitting a hard edge deep pothole

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I agree and disagree. How’s that for taking a firm stand.

Generally higher load rated rims will be made with thicker stronger materials and therefore provide more impact resistance. However there are some impacts that will destroy any rim and some rims that are higher rated but made with thinnner weaker material.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
I'm with RobertD...a heavier built, more robust wheel will give at least a little more chance of surviving a nasty pothole, but it's true that almost any wheel is very much at risk with some of the deep and wide potholes that develop when hit at speed.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 22 Posts