Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to donate to be a premium member and remove all the ads all over the place?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The AD's on here are ridiculous. I feel like recently they got worse. Best suggestion is use chrome with an ad blocker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Usually I use Firefox on mobile.... No malware.. or popups.. all the ads appear to be legit.

I just ignore them... Nothing's free... web hosting cost money.. so there you go.

But click rate would be better if it was Subaru related....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the end of the world I just hate video ads or "gif" style ads. Plus it's groups that are ignoring the "do not track" requests...
And I'm sure a small fee for a premium membership would far outweigh the revenue from the ads per user that elects in.

@thegeeknme I understand things are not free and that is why I am asking about a paid membership...

·
Registered
160 Posts
The adds appear to be based upon your browser history.

At work, I have been shopping for a new work truck and a bed cover for it. That is what most of my adds are now.

At home, the adds are more specialty auto and marine sites since I have been looking for a few things to get my seasonal cars and boat ready for the year. I don't believe that the site is controlling the content, but selling the space off based upon the cookies in our systems.

This seems to have become more common

·
Administrator
230 Posts
Yup so those are ads and they come from us, and I come across them on a lot of sites on the internet myself.
We have it set it in a way where it'll show less for those who are logged in.
Those particular ads you're seeing are meant to be shown for both logged in and logged out users.

Ed

·
Registered
914 Posts
The adds appear to be based upon your browser history.

At work, I have been shopping for a new work truck and a bed cover for it. That is what most of my adds are now.

At home, the adds are more specialty auto and marine sites since I have been looking for a few things to get my seasonal cars and boat ready for the year. I don't believe that the site is controlling the content, but selling the space off based upon the cookies in our systems.

This seems to have become more common
Targeted ads use browser cookies and social media to track your internet usage. Facebook is perhaps the worst offender and Mark Zuckerberg has made billions doing such privacy invasion. However, for now, this is all perfectly legal.

Cookies were designed to make browsing easier by remembering your settings and info at various sites, but any site can read them and they're now abused for all sorts of reasons, especially ad tracking. Clear your cookies often, or turn off cookies in your browser settings and use private browsing to reduce tracking. On your Facebook settings, set “ads based on my use of websites and apps” to off. Do the same on other social media and search sites where this is offered. They'll still track you like mad, but at least you'll see less of those creepy targeted ads.

See here for more info.

To eliminate most ads altogether, use a browser ad blocker extension such as Adblock. I understand sites such as this making money via ads, but I draw the line at targeted ads or tracking which I feel is an invasion of privacy and should not be used or condoned. Sites such as this can offer premium memberships for those who wish to opt out of ads and being tracked. I will gladly pay for a premium membership here and for other sites which I find valuable and use often. Sites that heavily abuse privacy such as Facebook, I avoid altogether.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Depending on your tech savvy-ness get yourself a pi-hole setup "https://pi-hole.net/" It is fairly easy. Your home DNS points to pi-hole and pi-hole points to google DNS. It filters out black listed content and ad based content on every device in your home.

It also keeps track of "sketchy" websites which reduces the chance of someone in your house going to a malicious site or putting their personal info into a questionable site when buying things online.

You can also black list sites you don't want your kids going to.

I didn't even know that the ascent forum had ad's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
pihole

Depending on your tech savvy-ness get yourself a pi-hole setup "https://pi-hole.net/" It is fairly easy. Your home DNS points to pi-hole and pi-hole points to google DNS. It filters out black listed content and ad based content on every device in your home.

It also keeps track of "sketchy" websites which reduces the chance of someone in your house going to a malicious site or putting their personal info into a questionable site when buying things online.

You can also black list sites you don't want your kids going to.

I didn't even know that the ascent forum had ad's.
I just found out about this the other day. I am definitely going to look into this.

Thanks!
Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts