Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys enlighten me here, do we have a dome light switch that I can turn all the lights on without open the door? Toddler in car seat cant reach the overhead light when need some brightness in the dark. Thanks:grin:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can you guys enlighten me here, do we have a dome light switch that I can turn all the lights on without open the door? Toddler in car seat cant reach the overhead light when need some brightness in the dark. Thanks:grin:

When doors are closed, I believe the only way to turn them on is locally at each light.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Alas, no. There's one switch that only controls the front lights, and does not turn them on, but prevents them from turning on when a door opens. It does not affect the 2nd and 3rd row lights at all, and doesn't turn any lights on.

Each light can be manually turned on by pressing it, but they cannot be turned off by pressing it if they have been turned on by a door being opened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alas, no. There's one switch that only controls the front lights, and does not turn them on, but prevents them from turning on when a door opens. It does not affect the 2nd and 3rd row lights at all, and doesn't turn any lights on.

Each light can be manually turned on by pressing it, but they cannot be turned off by pressing it if they have been turned on by a door being opened.
I am having a problem with my dogs turning the back lights on with their big, adorable heads. Are they going to give me a dead battery or will these eventually go off when I turn off and lock the car?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I am having a problem with my dogs turning the back lights on with their big, adorable heads. Are they going to give me a dead battery or will these eventually go off when I turn off and lock the car?
From my experience, if they are manually turned on by pushing them, they will not turn off. You might want to replace them with the LED options available from Subaru or from Diode Dynamics to reduce power consumption in the event you miss turning one off.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
From my experience, if they are manually turned on by pushing them, they will not turn off. You might want to replace them with the LED options available from Subaru or from Diode Dynamics to reduce power consumption in the event you miss turning one off.
Correct, they will not turn off. Mine was on for 4 hours the other day...

The manual mentions a "Battery drainage prevention function"
But the switch position has to be on "DOOR"

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Correct, they will not turn off. Mine was on for 4 hours the other day...

The manual mentions a "Battery drainage prevention function"
But the switch position has to be on "DOOR"
Thanks for the insight. Much more helpful than the response from SOA, which I hope someone else gets a kick out of: "Information on the reading lights is found on pages 288 and 289. I do not have an Ascent to get into to test if the reading lights will automatically turn off if turned on by pushing the reading light. I know that it comes on in some situations and then automatically turns off. But, that is when the reading lights are off."

It would be so helpful to have a setting to keep all the kids and dogs sitting in the second and third rows from turning them on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Much more helpful than the response from SOA, which I hope someone else gets a kick out of: "Information on the reading lights is found on pages 288 and 289. I do not have an Ascent to get into to test if the reading lights will automatically turn off if turned on by pushing the reading light. I know that it comes on in some situations and then automatically turns off. But, that is when the reading lights are off."

It would be so helpful to have a setting to keep all the kids and dogs sitting in the second and third rows from turning them on.
Agreed. if there's anything i know about subaru its that they will (eventually) change/add this feature to future Ascents. doesn't help us early adopters but they do listen to customer feedback to improve their vehicles which is nice to know. My son constants bumps his head into the overhead lights and turns them on. Def go to LED just in case you don't catch it - will take far longer to drain the battery with LED installed. The other option is to remove the bulb completely but then youll have no light there when you open the door at night.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe the 2021 Ascent has this feature? I was able to turn off a rear dome light while driving by pressing a button on the lower left which turned all of them on, then pressed it again to turn all of them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts