Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 18K service for our Ascent hit just about the time our governor issued his order for "safer at home" with a stay at home order for us folks over 65, except for required errands for groceries and meds. I decided getting a car serviced probably did not fall in the required errand category so I ordered a filter, 5 quarts of synthetic 0W-20 oil and some crush ring gaskets off Amazon. Is there anything I need to know before tackling the job?

As an aside, this is our first Subaru. It has been flawless except for the programming for the transmission. We have owned way too many vehicles thru the years and this is one is turning in to our favorite.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Getting your vehicle serviced IS considered essential by the way. No vehicle, no food, no hospital = death.
All of our service departments are open for business around here, even with the shelter in place order.

That said, have fun! Can’t get much easier than an Ascent. Make sure you don’t accidentally drain the CVT - it actually happens a lot. Keep an eye on your fill level - I’m not sure if 5qts is enough. It may be, but I’d ask around here how much to expect to fill.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
As has been pointed out quite a few times in the forum area around service...make sure you drain the engine oil and not the transmission fluid. Yes, that mistake has been made, including by "professionals". The results are not pretty... ;)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Just follow standard oil change procedures. Common mistakes beyond the wrong drain plug include over tightening the filter or plug. Use the spec oil volume as a guide but check the dipstick a few times to inch toward fill and not overfill. Make sure you apply a film of clean oil on all rubber gaskets (including oil filter gasket. Upon completion run vehicle and check for leaks. I would check for leaks for a few days to be certain the seals are working properly. I would also suggest you add your personal service to your service record at Mysubaru and I suggest you digitize and maintain a record of this service. If anything goes wrong you will need to prove you completed the service.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a folder for the Subaru for all service records. I will also put it in our MySubaru account. The closest dealer is about 45 miles from us and the service department waiting room is not very large. With the wife's history of bronchitis we decided to limit our trips to absolutely essentials. Even ordering our groceries on the Wal-Mart app and doing a drive by pick up.

Is there a torque setting for the drain plug? Also, how do you tell which is which on the transmission and oil pan plugs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a nice Youtube video on changing the oil on a 19 Ascent so now I know which plug is which. Still don't know if there is torque setting for the plug bolt.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Found a nice Youtube video on changing the oil on a 19 Ascent so now I know which plug is which. Still don't know if there is torque setting for the plug bolt.
I have not found anything in our manual for a specific oil plug torque specification, however you might review the links below to guide you your oil change.

"I just tighten the plug until the washer starts to flatten and deform a bit, which to me means it has a tight seal. That's why I replace the washer every time. "

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you expect to continue doing oil changes in the future, consider putting in a Fumoto oil drain valve while you're at it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
They have a new type of
If you expect to continue doing oil changes in the future, consider putting in a Fumoto oil drain valve while you're at it.
They have a new valve that provides greater flexibility in orientation and ease of flow.

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
Keep an eye on your fill level - I’m not sure if 5qts is enough. It may be, but I’d ask around here how much to expect to fill.
5qt or just shy of it has been just right for me. I add about 4 qt, roll it down the ramps until level and then add the 5qt slowly as I check level until in normal range, start it and check it one last time. The whole 5qt container puts it at the top end of the band

·
Registered
126 Posts
30.8 ft-lb for engine oil drain plug with new crush washer if you go by the book. I always go by feel with my other cars. With the Ascent I use Fumoto valve so only had to torque it once.

ascent engine oil capacity.png

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is it possible to use an oil pump to extract the oil? It means you would have to insert the tube into the dipstick tube. Some cars like my 15' Impreza and Jetta have tubes that are blocked at the bottom so it doesn't work on those cars. I use a pump on my boat engine and it works great... all you have to do is warm the engine up first so the oil is warm. It makes it much faster to extract the oil and it's really a great system because the oil is contained in a sealed container that is easily transported and poured into whatever you want to deposit the old oil into. Much better than using a pan.

This is the pump I use:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Getting your vehicle serviced IS considered essential by the way. No vehicle, no food, no hospital = death.
All of our service departments are open for business around here, even with the shelter in place order.

That said, have fun! Can’t get much easier than an Ascent. Make sure you don’t accidentally drain the CVT - it actually happens a lot. Keep an eye on your fill level - I’m not sure if 5qts is enough. It may be, but I’d ask around here how much to expect to fill.
Can you elaborate on a scale from 1 to 10 how hard it is to tell which pan is for the transmission and which pan is for the engine.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Can you elaborate on a scale from 1 to 10 how hard it is to tell which pan is for the transmission and which pan is for the engine.
Very simple. The massive one is CVT. The small one nestled between the exhaust headers inside the small hatch/opening is engine.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
See this thread for the transmission plug pictures

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This one for the oil drain plug

1 - 20 of 23 Posts