Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up our Ascent Friday afternoon after a two month wait and immediately went on a 700+ mile round trip since the trip was already planned. This car replaced my wife's 2016 OB 2.5 Limited. We also own a 2017 OB 3.6R so the trip was a constant evaluation/comparison of what Subaru got right and things they may have missed.
We had test driven one earlier and my wife immediately wanted one. The 2016 OB had been a replacement for her Volvo 70XC and it never made the grade. The 17 3.6R came closer but still lacked the things she wanted.

Like stated originally, the Ascent rides much better, has less noise and vibration and has a higher view of the highway that she desired. We were amazed that it easily cruised between 70 and 80 as we headed south to the beach, being new we were gentile on application of the gas and I got 24.3 and 22.7 mpg (calculated) for the trip south. I think Subaru hit all the goals for a right sized SUV with reasonable mileage and something that does not beat you up on the road. The Front seats were firm but great for a six hour drive, the only complaint was from the driver seat extension that becomes noticeable around 4 to 5 hours if you drive and don't use cruise control (again being new we did not use cruise going).

There were only two of us and we packed for an OB, needless to say we had lots of room for my wife to buy crap once we got to the beach.

It seams every Subaru owner noticed the car and many kept pace with us to look it over. Had several inquiring in the parking lots too.

Now the bad? Steering is too soft with too little feedback but is positive in maintaining lane position. We use the 'assist' features and found them good but not as good as some other cars we have. The Nav appears to be a much appreciated upgrade from the past but if I understand it correctly the traffic advisories require a sirus subscription. This leads to the next series of add on expenses if you use all of the features ie my Subaru locator/online services etc and activate the wifi hotspot.

We bought a touring model and yes the $46+ seems high for a Subaru but looking at the total package and comparing it with our other cars that were just as expensive or even more, the car provides a lot of value for that price.

The owner manual leaves a lot to desire especially the nav/infomat that seems to have minimum verbiage and very poor graphics or pictures, I will see if an on-line version is better but one really has to read understand and navigate through the many menus to get it right.

The numerous cup holders are appreciated but you can no longer put a paper map in the 'map pockets' for those time you are off the grid.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We picked up our Ascent Friday afternoon after a two month wait and immediately went on a 700+ mile round trip since the trip was already planned. This car replaced my wife's 2016 OB 2.5 Limited. We also own a 2017 OB 3.6R so the trip was a constant evaluation/comparison of what Subaru got right and things they may have missed.
We had test driven one earlier and my wife immediately wanted one. The 2016 OB had been a replacement for her Volvo 70XC and it never made the grade. The 17 3.6R came closer but still lacked the things she wanted.

Like stated originally, the Ascent rides much better, has less noise and vibration and has a higher view of the highway that she desired. We were amazed that it easily cruised between 70 and 80 as we headed south to the beach, being new we were gentile on application of the gas and I got 24.3 and 22.7 mpg (calculated) for the trip south. I think Subaru hit all the goals for a right sized SUV with reasonable mileage and something that does not beat you up on the road. The Front seats were firm but great for a six hour drive, the only complaint was from the driver seat extension that becomes noticeable around 4 to 5 hours if you drive and don't use cruise control (again being new we did not use cruise going).

There were only two of us and we packed for an OB, needless to say we had lots of room for my wife to buy crap once we got to the beach.

It seams every Subaru owner noticed the car and many kept pace with us to look it over. Had several inquiring in the parking lots too.

Now the bad? Steering is too soft with too little feedback but is positive in maintaining lane position. We use the 'assist' features and found them good but not as good as some other cars we have. The Nav appears to be a much appreciated upgrade from the past but if I understand it correctly the traffic advisories require a sirus subscription. This leads to the next series of add on expenses if you use all of the features ie my Subaru locator/online services etc and activate the wifi hotspot.

We bought a touring model and yes the $46+ seems high for a Subaru but looking at the total package and comparing it with our other cars that were just as expensive or even more, the car provides a lot of value for that price.

The owner manual leaves a lot to desire especially the nav/infomat that seems to have minimum verbiage and very poor graphics or pictures, I will see if an on-line version is better but one really has to read understand and navigate through the many menus to get it right.

The numerous cup holders are appreciated but you can no longer put a paper map in the 'map pockets' for those time you are off the grid.
Nice write up. I also came from a 16 Outback and share all your positive comments. I really like the HVAC vents in the ceiling. Ay 46k the value of this SUV is ok but nothing special. I still believe a mid line premium with a few options discounted to around invoice provides your best value in the lineup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.