Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The very first cross country car trip included a dog as a passenger for most of the way. Early in the expedition, a dog saw the car coming and said, "It is about time. We dogs have been waiting for thousands of years for you people to build cars. I'll sit by the window." I didn't make that up; it's a fact. Ever since 1903, when Bud was fitted with his own goggles, dogs have been wagging their tails the second you make a move for the keys. It's funny to think that a dog would travel by car years before most humans.

Our dogs influence what we do in ways we may not be aware. We just naturally accommodate them. In our Forester, our Labrador and all his 'accessories' makes it necessary for a car top carrier. We are hoping that the Ascent will eliminate the necessity. I had to put a sticker on the dash to remind me to steer clear of parking garages. At first, we favored the 7 passenger version as it was the same setup as our Mazda MPV 4WD. Then I remembered how my dog disliked the seating arrangement. Duncan has an affinity for the living room sofa; I realized that the 8 passenger version would be better. It also appears to have an advantage for when all the seats are down for large items.

How has your dog influenced your purchase of the Ascent? Did you buy the Ascent itself because of the dog(s) or was there an input into what version or accessories you chose? Duncan's best buddy Gus rides to the dog park in an older Outback. Gus is going to be jealous. I know a lot of people are counting their kids and their friends saying, "We need a bigger car." I'm pretty sure that there are dogs included in the head count.

·
Registered
597 Posts
We didn't buy the Ascent because we have a dog (11lbs) but we did find a great way to strap him in the car. We have the captains chairs and we typically had him with a harness attached to the middle seatbelt in our old car.

In this car we are using his leash attached to the grab handles on the inside (ones for the bullet trains) to anchor him into the center section with a blanket on the floor for him to sit on. He so far seems to really like having a more enclosed area. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I, for one, am a smidge concerned about my poochie’s comfort in this vehicle. I raised Guide Dogs for the Blind so am accustomed to having them sit in the passenger footwell up front whether someone is sitting there or not. With our Tahoes, trucks and van we have always been able to make that happen but I am not so convinced with the Ascent. She is a 50ish pound meaty pit bull mix and as close to a housecat as you can get in terms of mannerisms. She is used to sitting up there with her head on feet or lap, whatever suits her best, but I just don’t see that happening with a front seat passenger in the Ascent. Good news is that most of the times we would all 4 AND dog be in a vehicle we would be taking the trailer which means taking the truck, but for the times that we are all 4 in the Ascent with her our youngest will be in the third row and she will *hopefully* find a comfortable spot in the second row, either between the seats (doubtful but we’ll see) or with the unoccupied seat pushed all the way back and on the floorboards in front of that. Might be a win as she has never experienced the joy of her own window but we just don’t know how it will play out until we get her in. Fingers crossed! It is of the utmost importance to me as she is often my favorite child, but the comfort of the human children was considered higher as their discomfort tends to lead to everyone else’s discomfort. Case in point- the 12 year old son said he needed a 3rd row so he could escape the 15 year old son’s breath. Sweet.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
You've gotta have pix of pooches with a thread like this...c'mon now!

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
411 Posts
I specifically bought the Ascent so I could fit all my dogs in comfortably. My Acura TL was not suitable once I rescued the 76# giant schnauzer to go with my 25# mini and 38# standard. They approve!
which pet barrier is that? I thought about ordering the factory one, but from what I've heard and read its not suitable for pets. We have a boarder collie/healer mix and i'd like to keep her in the back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes we too need a pet barrier for our 2 big dogs...would love to know where to get good ones besides the one the Subaru dealer is offering.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hope you guys got your after market window tint installed BEFORE you let the dogs in the car.:grin: Otherwise, the tint installer will be pretty upset. Haha.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You've gotta have pix of pooches with a thread like this...c'mon now!
Since we don’t have our Ascent yet I can only include her current mood about that and an illustration of just how much of a housecat she is. Snuggled up on our danged down comforter in our bed. #prettyprincess

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Since we don’t have our Ascent yet I can only include her current mood about that and an illustration of just how much of a housecat she is. Snuggled up on our danged down comforter in our bed. #prettyprincess
haha excellent!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to buy my dog a safety belt. Now's the time when it's strange to care about your child's safety and buy a baby car seat and neglect the existence of safety belts for doggies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.