Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered a cover for the back seat. If so I'd love to hear from experience what fits. In our current outback we usually lay the seats flat and have a portable dog bed for our golden retriever. The gaps between rows make it appear that this won't work well. Ideally, I'd like to have a cover with the 60/40 split so that I can pack in some of the longer camping gear. I'm scheduled for pick up of the vehicle on 8/6 and headed on a long trip with the dog on 8/9 so want to have something ready before I pick it up. I ordered a Limited with black interior and seating for 8 (bench back seat). Thanks! Ben

·
Registered
583 Posts
Has anyone ordered a cover for the back seat. If so I'd love to hear from experience what fits. In our current outback we usually lay the seats flat and have a portable dog bed for our golden retriever. The gaps between rows make it appear that this won't work well. Ideally, I'd like to have a cover with the 60/40 split so that I can pack in some of the longer camping gear. I'm scheduled for pick up of the vehicle on 8/6 and headed on a long trip with the dog on 8/9 so want to have something ready before I pick it up. I ordered a Limited with black interior and seating for 8 (bench back seat). Thanks! Ben
Subaru sells a 2nd row bench seat cover if that is what you are interested in....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subaru sells a 2nd row bench seat cover if that is what you are interested in....
Thanks Gueromeister - I didn't know they had this accessory. I ended up ordering one from Amazon for around $40 which I'm hopeful will fit the bill. The Subaru one is around $200 which is a quite a bit more than the other off the shelf products.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks Gueromeister - I didn't know they had this accessory. I ended up ordering one from Amazon for around $40 which I'm hopeful will fit the bill. The Subaru one is around $200 which is a quite a bit more than the other off the shelf products.
Which one did you get on Amazon? Curious to hear your feedback after you try it out. I'm still trying to decide which seat(s) my dog will get. He's just under 30 pounds and can't see out the window if he's in the back (3rd row down), and his paws/nails will scratch up the door panel over time.

Anyone with suggestions/solutions to protect both the seat AND the door?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I doubled up with the Subaru seat cover and then a car hammock with side flaps. Hoping the hammock with side flaps will help with the nail scratches on the door.

I've use a regular car hammock in my old car and it does a good job protecting the seats and collecting the fur but it isn't as water proof as they advised.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For my 30 pound dog, I went two routes. I used the dog bed below (watched for a good price for it).
Snoozer My Buddy Black Large
https://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Lookout-Seat-Large-Black/dp/B001G8D7KK

When that got a little dilapidated, I decided to make my own bed out of foam pads from a craft store. I fit the foam to the car, cut it with a electric meat carving knife to the right shape for the space. I double stacked two pieces of foam, then cut out the top center of one to make a raised bed. I also cut out an insert for my dog's water bowl (see item below). Then I just covered it with some fabric that was easy to take off and wash. Custom fit for my dog and the space. I drive long distances so I needed something that was very comfortable for my dog.

Prestige Road Refresher Non Spill Water Bowl
https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Road-Refresher-Spill-Water/dp/B01N4TLVRX?th=1&psc=1

·
Registered
583 Posts
Which one did you get on Amazon? Curious to hear your feedback after you try it out. I'm still trying to decide which seat(s) my dog will get. He's just under 30 pounds and can't see out the window if he's in the back (3rd row down), and his paws/nails will scratch up the door panel over time.

$144.00 for the Subaru 2nd row seat cover at Heuberger Subaru.....

·
Registered
583 Posts
$144 at Heuberger Subaru.....if you want a custom fit...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I picked one with a mesh window in the area between the 2 front seats so Bailey (our heavyset 9 year old female golden retriever) can see us and out front better. It doesn't have side flaps to protect the doors but I don't need those. She is just about the calmest dog I've ever encountered. She's not one to scratch or chew (except her food). I just need something to catch her shedding fur and water/mud. Like most retrievers, she loves to swim. I'm hoping to pick up the Ascent next week so can't speak to the fit but here is the model I went with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXG65ZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
292 Posts

I picked one with a mesh window in the area between the 2 front seats so Bailey (our heavyset 9 year old female golden retriever) can see us and out front better. It doesn't have side flaps to protect the doors but I don't need those. She is just about the calmest dog I've ever encountered. She's not one to scratch or chew (except her food). I just need something to catch her shedding fur and water/mud. Like most retrievers, she loves to swim. I'm hoping to pick up the Ascent next week so can't speak to the fit but here is the model I went with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXG65ZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for your reply! My dog is pretty calm as well, but he does love to stick his head out the window and thus naturally put his paws on the door panel (which damages the door panel over time).

Finding something that protects both the seat and the door panel is crucial for me bc I’m considering putting him in the front passenger seat (with wife and newborn in 2nd row captains chairs).

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Janner do you have pictures? My dog loves sticking his head out of the window and I want to protect my door panel.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pics of the custom bed that show it off. My girl recently passed away so it isn't in my new car. I have one pic of her where you can kind of see the store bought bed. This was in my Outback and I had the bed on the 60% bench seat. The custom bed was in my Outback. I started with a half-width version with the rear bench seat folded down. Then I tossed that and I made a larger bed (full width) because I drove so much and wanted to give her a chance to sleep on whichever side was out of the sun. Also put her high enough to see out all the windows. Neither option fully protected the top of the door - my girl only hung her head out when stopped or going slow. If I were setting this up for the Ascent, I'd probably buy the snoozer dog bed for the captain chair. Or just give over then entire back hatch area to a big bed. If I wanted to protect just the door area, I'd probably buy something like this:
https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...GNDAqwgiA1VTRCiQ6_LbBQ&utm_campaign=118724597

Oh, also included a pic to keep your dogs eyes safe! :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone find a cover that works for the 3rd row? I have the captains chairs so the second row seat cover is not an option.

Everything I see on Amazon appears to be too large it appears.

I am looking for something that protects the seat as well as the sides of the car as my dads dog likes to put her paws up and scratches :(

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anyone find a cover that works for the 3rd row? I have the captains chairs so the second row seat cover is not an option.

Everything I see on Amazon appears to be too large it appears.

I am looking for something that protects the seat as well as the sides of the car as my dads dog likes to put her paws up and scratches :(

Any help is appreciated

If you're putting a dog in the third row who likes to scratch, I wouldn't. I'd put the third row down and find a cover for the entire cargo area. It's going to be easier to protect that area than the third row. My (future) dog will go in the area behind the captains chairs as well with the third row folded down.

Reactions: DonSwin

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you're putting a dog in the third row who likes to scratch, I wouldn't. I'd put the third row down and find a cover for the entire cargo area. It's going to be easier to protect that area than the third row. My (future) dog will go in the area behind the captains chairs as well with the third row folded down.
Thanks for the feedback Janner. Not sure that will be an option as my dad likes to have the dog secured. She has a seat belt harness.

I have found some options on amazon that have protection for the seat and the sides of the back area but I think they are too big. Roughly 56 inches or so where as I think the third row is about 49 or so I believe.

I may just try and find something local where returns are not such a pain

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Janner. Not sure that will be an option as my dad likes to have the dog secured. She has a seat belt harness.

I have found some options on amazon that have protection for the seat and the sides of the back area but I think they are too big. Roughly 56 inches or so where as I think the third row is about 49 or so I believe.

I may just try and find something local where returns are not such a pain

How big? I have had "car seats" for my dog. If I had the seat in the front, I latched her to the seatbelt. I didn't always do this in the back because I often drive very long distances and liked her to be able to lay down and sleep in any position she wanted. I know my butt gets tired after a while and figured hers would as well. I've also put regular small dog beds in the seat when that made sense with what I was carrying. My dog wasn't the scratching type but I still protected the seats all I could. I've used items like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Look...8&qid=1536542303&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+car+seat

Honestly, if you're at all crafty, you might just find some vinyl (it comes fabric backed) at a fabric store, glue or sew some loops that will attach it to the headrest correctly and make it custom for your car. I've done that with my dog beds - made them fit exactly the space I wanted with foam.

One more thing. They make clips for dog harnesses to attach to seatbelts. You could probably pretty easily adapt that to attach to the car seat anchors in the cargo area. There are also 4 anchor points on the sides in the cargo area that could be used as tethers. Sometimes, the right solution isn't what someone has on Amazon. (Can't believe I actually said that - LOL - we're very best friends)!

·
Registered
234 Posts
How big? I have had "car seats" for my dog. If I had the seat in the front, I latched her to the seatbelt. I didn't always do this in the back because I often drive very long distances and liked her to be able to lay down and sleep in any position she wanted. I know my butt gets tired after a while and figured hers would as well. I've also put regular small dog beds in the seat when that made sense with what I was carrying. My dog wasn't the scratching type but I still protected the seats all I could. I've used items like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Look...8&qid=1536542303&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+car+seat

Honestly, if you're at all crafty, you might just find some vinyl (it comes fabric backed) at a fabric store, glue or sew some loops that will attach it to the headrest correctly and make it custom for your car. I've done that with my dog beds - made them fit exactly the space I wanted with foam.

One more thing. They make clips for dog harnesses to attach to seatbelts. You could probably pretty easily adapt that to attach to the car seat anchors in the cargo area. There are also 4 anchor points on the sides in the cargo area that could be used as tethers. Sometimes, the right solution isn't what someone has on Amazon. (Can't believe I actually said that - LOL - we're very best friends)!
The cover I was looking at is listed as 54X58 and includes side protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077WVHZ1...colid=IUP14WZNP0YC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.