Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love it, our dogs definately play a role in the car shopping for us. Glad to see the big babies are comfy too! We have a Dane and a boxer/Dane.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's awesome! My dog played a huge role in the deciding on the ascent as well. He's getting older and now is starting to arthritis on his front elbows so I'm going to have to get him a ramp or some steps so he doesnt always jump out.

Glad to see your pups looking comfy and happy in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome! My dog played a huge role in the deciding on the ascent as well. He's getting older and now is starting to arthritis on his front elbows so I'm going to have to get him a ramp or some steps so he doesnt always jump out.

Glad to see your pups looking comfy and happy in there.
Yes, they seem pretty happy. I'm going to have to get stairs. They won't use a ramp, and one is old, and the other getting there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi all,

I hope it's ok that I resurrect this thread to ask a quick question. I'll be taking a long multi-state road trip next month in my 7-seat Ascent Premium, with 2 adults in front and 2 kids in car seats. We'll also be bringing along a 55-pound, 15-year-old Border Collie.

Where should the dog ride? He might be able to fit on the floor under the kids' feet, or perhaps in between the captain's chairs, which would be a tight fit. Putting the third row seat up (or 60% up) might be tough because he'd have trouble getting up into the seat, and we'd lose cargo space.

The only other option I can think of is to put the third row down and have him ride in back with the luggage; we might be able to spread the luggage out so there's no chance on anything falling on him.

I'm looking for your experience with dogs -- particularly old dogs -- to find out what might work well. Any advice would be much appreciated!

(FYI, in case you're wondering, I didn't expect to take long road trips with a dog, otherwise I would have figured this out before purchasing the car).

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
We have an 11 lb dog and we have him sit between the captains chairs in a harness with a blanket on the floor. We then have a leash attached to the harness that goes up and around the center grab handles on the captains chairs. It works really well in keeping him out of the drivers lap and at the same time provides some protection if I should need to stop quickly.

I'll see if I can post a video or pictures later. In essence the handle goes over one grab handle and then goes across and wraps around the other handle. Granted this doesn't prevent him from getting on the captains chairs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi all,

I hope it's ok that I resurrect this thread to ask a quick question. I'll be taking a long multi-state road trip next month in my 7-seat Ascent Premium, with 2 adults in front and 2 kids in car seats. We'll also be bringing along a 55-pound, 15-year-old Border Collie.

Where should the dog ride? He might be able to fit on the floor under the kids' feet, or perhaps in between the captain's chairs, which would be a tight fit. Putting the third row seat up (or 60% up) might be tough because he'd have trouble getting up into the seat, and we'd lose cargo space.

The only other option I can think of is to put the third row down and have him ride in back with the luggage; we might be able to spread the luggage out so there's no chance on anything falling on him.

I'm looking for your experience with dogs -- particularly old dogs -- to find out what might work well. Any advice would be much appreciated!

(FYI, in case you're wondering, I didn't expect to take long road trips with a dog, otherwise I would have figured this out before purchasing the car).

Thanks!
55 pounds would be tough between the seats. I'd just put a dog bed in the back with the third row down, maybe set so he can see between the seats. Then arrange luggage around. That's what I used to do in my Outback with my old dog. She passed away but there eventually will be someone for my Ascent, too. Just use some bungee cords to secure wobbly stuff - plenty of places to tie down.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So just to let everyone know that the road trip was a success—13 hours straight through (including stops) with two adults, two small kids, and the 15 year old border collie. I put the dog in the back with the third row down, and I get this mat that was suggested here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755DRHSL/ In addition to protecting the floor, that helped make sure he didn’t get his foot caught in the gap or hop down between the captains chairs. And I put a dog bed in back too. He laid down and slept pretty much the entire time.

To give him even more room, I squeezed one of the large suitcases in between the captain’s chairs. That’s not something I’d recommend often, but it worked and the kids didn’t mind.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
29 Posts
After getting the seats and cargo area covered up, my boys got to test the Ascent out. So far, so good.
Hey @CentralMASubie, what kind of blanket/cover/seat cover stuff are you using? I really like the full coverage it provides!

·
Registered
225 Posts
We just got a rescue last week and needed a cover for the seats. I went with the ibuddy cover from amazon. It works both as a seat cover and a hammock. It also comes with sides that zip up to keep the dog from destroying the door trim. Me and the pup drove around for 30 minutes to test it out and he seemed content to sit and lay down. It also comes with a seat belt clip-in leash.

The cover is a little bigger than ideal for the ascent, but not too bad. I had to wrap the straps around the head rest a few times since they were a bit on the long side even with adjustment, but besides that it worked out well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We just got a rescue last week and needed a cover for the seats. I went with the ibuddy cover from amazon. It works both as a seat cover and a hammock. It also comes with sides that zip up to keep the dog from destroying the door trim. Me and the pup drove around for 30 minutes to test it out and he seemed content to sit and lay down. It also comes with a seat belt clip-in leash.

The cover is a little bigger than ideal for the ascent, but not too bad. I had to wrap the straps around the head rest a few times since they were a bit on the long side even with adjustment, but besides that it worked out well.
Thanks @leky411! Glad I read this, there's currently an Amazon Lightning Deal on the SUV version!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks @leky411! Glad I read this, there's currently an Amazon Lightning Deal on the SUV version!!!
No problem. BTW they are all the same cover. It only comes in one size not sure why amazon gives you options but they are all 54" by 58"

Or I could be wrong, but ibuddy's site has only the one cover in vented and non-vented on their site. I think $27 is a great deal for the cover. Much cheaper than at a pet store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well you could also invest in a cargo basket/box for the roof if the roadtrips with the kids/dog will be more frequent. We have 2 German Shepherds and do this with our Forester.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts