Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona and initially bought a 2013 Outback with consideration to a future dog acquisition, however I had not seen the dog adverts at the time. since buying the outback realized it was totally unsuitable and inadequate for having a dog anywhere in the car (remember this is Arizona). No vents in the trunk and a tiny vent in the rear of the centre console.

My kids still weren't ready for a dog when I leased the 2016, still no vents. I couldn't understand why the dog ads could be credible, considering areas in the souther half of the US.

I realized that a 3rd row was necessary to gain rear ventilation so was very happy over 3 years ago to hear of a coming SUV, sadly it only materialized 2 years after I leased that second outback (as a non-dog car I was extremely happy with).

What is anyone using in their ascent to divide the front 2 rows from the rear row / trunk to keep dogs safely out of the way?

I note that the divider on the Subaru site is not built for dogs and only seems to anchor in the luggage / tonneau cover mounts (from what I could see).

Thank you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought this from Amazon and it's been good the few times I've used it. I take it down when the dog isn't in the car because it makes me feel like I'm driving a cop car when I look in the rearview mirror.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
I bought this from Amazon and it's been good the few times I've used it. I take it down when the dog isn't in the car because it makes me feel like I'm driving a cop car when I look in the rearview mirror.
Please be careful with that one. The Ascent isn't designed for dog barriers. The side curtain airbag extends through the third row to the back corners of the vehicle. People have turned dividers into projectiles or injured passengers (furry ones or humans) in the event of impacts.

Make sure you have enough clearance for the airbags to properly deploy. If you look at the Subaru cargo divider for the Ascent, you can see how much clearance they left.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks a lot @Robert.Mauro I did not consider airbags at all. What I didn't like about the Subaru version is that it leaves that gap in the sides for the dog to poke it's head over and/or jump through. But now it makes sense why they do that. The Amazon version that I bought has removable segments on the sides that mirror the Subaru version leaving clearance for the airbags.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Thanks a lot @Robert.Mauro I did not consider airbags at all. What I didn't like about the Subaru version is that it leaves that gap in the sides for the dog to poke it's head over and/or jump through. But now it makes sense why they do that. The Amazon version that I bought has removable segments on the sides that mirror the Subaru version leaving clearance for the airbags.
I own the Subie one, and besides being very heavy, they're definitely not intended for pets for the exact reasons you noted. There's a warning in the instructions as well.

I always wondered about a combo version though. Imagine something like the Subaru one, but with heavy webbing closing those corner gaps (think about the webbed straps they use on cargo planes). Small enough holes so a dog couldn't get their snout caught.

I suspect that this is a market that is going to emerge. Most of these products are designed for cars without a third row, and thus avoid the airbag issue since most end at the end of the passenger compartment.

With the Ascent selling like crazy, and a bunch of competing vehicles entering the segment before, at or after the Ascent release, I think that will change.

If I come across something suitable, I will share it with everyone. I am sure it will be just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out the Raingler Cargo Netting - they make a version specific to the Ascent. I'm wondering how they would perform under airbag deployment, but as long as they break away I don't see an issue since the fabric won't turn into a projectile like the metal ones....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts