Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have downloaded and installed the software update. That seems to have worked well. But the Tom Tom maps in the settings says the map is 2 years old. Is there something else I am supposed to download?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I have downloaded and installed the software update. That seems to have worked well. But the Tom Tom maps in the settings says the map is 2 years old. Is there something else I am supposed to download?
Yes, download your region directly from the head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am saying does the software download include the maps? Like the file "Rel_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA". I have downloaded that and installed it from the USB. But the maps did not update. How do I download the mapping update as I assume its not part of the software update.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I am saying does the software download include the maps? Like the file "Rel_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA". I have downloaded that and installed it from the USB. But the maps did not update. How do I download the mapping update as I assume its not part of the software update.
I understood.

If you connect the car to your home wifi, you can download the latest and most complete map for your state. The head unit calls it a region. It is under settings, navigation.

You can download up to 8 states.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is no way to download the maps on the PC ahead of time? I clicked on the maps download and it has two states listed and no way I can see for more. There is no indication that its downloading either. Thats why I thought I would get the maps on the PC first and use the USB to update it

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
So there is no way to download the maps on the PC ahead of time? I clicked on the maps download and it has two states listed and no way I can see for more. There is no indication that its downloading either. Thats why I thought I would get the maps on the PC first and use the USB to update it
You can try the key generation method and get a download key to use on the same site you got the firmware update from. I've never tried it, and I would guess it becomes cumbersome to keep updated. The head unit will generate a download key.

I updated my previous reply with a video. Maybe that'll help with the OTA method.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The video was great thank you! I do have the download key but havent found a place to enter that yet.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
The video was great thank you! I do have the download key but havent found a place to enter that yet.
Me either. I was trying to find it for you and haven't yet either. Let me know if the over-the-air download method doesn't work for you, and I will start again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sat in the garage for 10 minutes on the California map update and it went up 10%. I have a WAP in the garage. My phone is getting high downloads. Maybe I should have done Nevada first, LOL.

I cant find any info on where to enter the download key. I will keep looking

·
Registered
566 Posts
I sat in the garage for 10 minutes on the California map update and it went up 10%. I have a WAP in the garage. My phone is getting high downloads. Maybe I should have done Nevada first, LOL.

I cant find any info on where to enter the download key. I will keep looking
Some states take FOREVER!!!!!! It will also sit there at a certain percentage forever and then all of a sudden jump up the percentage drastically.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for that. But there must be someone I can use this download key. Not sure who at Suby to contact. The local dealer hasnt a clue!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The Subaru implementation of TomTom is one of the limited GPS systems that permit loading only a few regions at a time. By contrast, even most of the least expensive Garmins can store the entire US and Canada maps. With memory so inexpensive these days, it's hard to imagine why the Subaru TomTom GPS implementation is so limited.

What if you were traveling cross country, or simply traveling to a state you don't normally store? You'd have to find a way to upload the map for that region as you approach it. That's very inconvenient and unnecessary in this day and age of electronics. Too bad Subaru didn't team up with Garmin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can plug in my iPhone and use Google Maps on Apple Car Play. My old Suby I put in a nav system that connected to my phone using Wifi and I just left the phone in my pocket. With the new Ascent if I am going anywhere I have to plug in the phone. I cant seem to find an iPhone car mount that doesnt cost a small fortune so I am not using the iPhone unless I am going somewhere.

I set up the hot spot on my phone and paired the Ascent to use it and while I was driving around it went up 2%. LOL

There must be something we can do with this download key!

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
If you have a mount that works for you (there’s a thread or two with some suggestions) there are magnetic cables that can make it much easier to plug your phone in. They don’t work well if your phone isn’t stationary but work very well in a mount. I used them in my last car but with the current implementation of CarPlay in my Ascent I’ve had less desire to use the phone itself (that’s a good thing ?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can try the key generation method and get a download key to use on the same site you got the firmware update from. I've never tried it, and I would guess it becomes cumbersome to keep updated. The head unit will generate a download key.

I updated my previous reply with a video. Maybe that'll help with the OTA method.
Thanks for the video- it was very helpful. Unfortunately after I tried to update my unit I keep getting a message "Map Update Unsuccessful (107)". I am connected to my home wifi but also have the AT&T car wifi as well. Is there another route to update the maps? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Thanks for the video- it was very helpful. Unfortunately after I tried to update my unit I keep getting a message "Map Update Unsuccessful (107)". I am connected to my home wifi but also have the AT&T car wifi as well. Is there another route to update the maps? Thanks.
It oddly fails if the wifi signal isn't very strong. Some people use their phones as a temporary hotspot and then remove it when done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts