Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a YouTube that reviewed the Ascent and said that if you lift the vehicle even two inches it stops the eyesight system from working.

Also I got to thinking, if the car has a heavy load in the rear that pushes the front of car up relatively, would that also throw the system off.

Can anyone confirm deny either of these?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
I don't have it handy at the moment, but I believe the eyesight manual confirms both of these. Not that the system necessarily stops working, but it may impact the performance.

If you need the manual you can download from the Subaru site.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
Lifting doesn't disable Eyesight, but it affects its performance because it's calibrated for normal height. Minor variations from towing are less of a concern, especially since one isn't supposed to use many of the features (ACC, lane assist, etc.) when hauling like that anyway. It's one of the reasons that Subaru frowns on lifting, especially by dealers, because we live in a world where folks are first to blame the manufacturer when something goes horribly wrong without regard to the fact that a material change was made that can affect the performance of the system. And they put that in writing, too...dealers received an official memo about it awhile back (a copy was reproduced here in the forum somewhere) but some have apparently continued to do the mods. There are also third party solutions, of course, but any mod made to the vehicle by the owner puts the responsibility back on them.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭) 2006 Subaru Impreza (Former)
85 Posts
Everything said above is accurate, but..

I have a 2 inch lift on mine and every safety feature still works perfectly. (Knock on wood)

Your experience may vary according to the things mentioned.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
There's differences in how well the vehicle acquires lane markings (for one thing, it can't see as much of the lines closer in, and for another, the lines seem closer together to it). There's differences in stopping and adaptive cruise that change stopping distances, stopping speeds and "follow" actions.

Most people may never notice the differences, or, in some situations the car may seem more sensitive (actually it's more of a delayed reaction causing a sharper reaction) due to parallax changes.

There are a bunch more factors involved as well. For instance, following a van or big SUV or truck will probably maybe not see a change in Eyesight reaction. On the other hand, a mid sized or small SUV or mid sized to small car will more likely see a change in how the system responds, due to quicker angular changes as the vehicles get closer together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very good feedback. Ideally I'd fit and airlift suspension and lower to stock height for highway driving, and raise only when needed. But i couldnt find companies that manufacture for this model yet and its been out a few years so maybe it's not enough of a mainstream model to warrant the R&D

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
All very good feedback. Ideally I'd fit and airlift suspension and lower to stock height for highway driving, and raise only when needed. But i couldnt find companies that manufacture for this model yet and its been out a few years so maybe it's not enough of a mainstream model to warrant the R&D
Me either, and I have been bugging all of the usual players about it. 😔

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
Yea, that would be the ideal situation...on-demand height suitable for the use. I had air suspension on the Grand Cherokee I drove previously and while it was rare that I used the higher levels (I'm not an off-roader), there were a few times it really came in handy. Something similar for the Ascent (and other Subaru models) would be the bee's knees...safety and aerodynamic economy on the highway and ground clearance off-road. The challenge is that it's a very limited market and expensive/complex to do.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,112 Posts
Subaru frowns on lifting, especially by dealers, because we live in a world where folks are first to blame the manufacturer when something goes horribly wrong without regard to the fact that a material change was made that can affect the performance of the system
The effect on Eyesight is one of their concerns. All of the crash and rollover certifications are based on standard as-manufactured specs too.

·
Registered
918 Posts
After my 2" lift I didn't notice any perceptible change in the operation of eyesight. I'm sure it is different, but ACC was still fine along with collision warning.

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
The effect on Eyesight is one of their concerns. All of the crash and rollover certifications are based on standard as-manufactured specs too.
Yes, I"m aware of that. Relative to my comments about the air suspension, handling it like Jeep die with speed limitations on the higher levels could help keep "riding high" to off road situations while preserving/requiring "normal" height for highway situations where having Eyesight working as designed is important for safety.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Redesigning the suspension so variable height won't mess camber is the challenge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts