Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, with Subarus having AWD, does it cost more to repair a suspension/brake/drivetrain issue compared to vehicles without AWD?

I have the Ascent as one of my top choices for a new vehicle.

But since I live in central Texas, so I don't need AWD.

So I'm trying to figure out if I'd be paying more in repair costs because of the AWD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
In general, with Subarus having AWD, does it cost more to repair a suspension/brake/drivetrain issue compared to vehicles without AWD?

So I'm trying to figure out if I'd be paying more in repair costs because of the AWD.

Thanks.
No

Only cost that non AWD people get miffed about is tires. “All” full time AWD vehicles require all 4 tires to be identical. Meaning you can’t toss on two tires and call it good or replace a shredded tire with a new one while three others have considerable wear etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No

Only cost that non AWD people get miffed about is tires. “All” full time AWD vehicles require all 4 tires to be identical. Meaning you can’t toss on two tires and call it good or replace a shredded tire with a new one while three others have considerable wear etc.

Didn't know that. But makes sense. I like to keep all my tires the same wear-wise so not an issue for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Thanks.
Generally, yes. This AWD have more components like axle, half-shalf, and rear diff. When more components are working together, there’s added risks of potential train wreck.

For minor repair of rear suspension components, the half-shaft can be a concerted effort to be removed before getting to the targeted repair. How much effort? I don’t know precisely, but dealers on here may have database on billable hrs comparisons.

With all that being said, I don’t think you’re asking the tough question. You should ask how reliable are the AWD suspension/drivetrain components.

Note: if you’re unfamiliar with AWD vs FWD (offered by competitors) components, make sure to sort that out first (ie conduct some research)

·
Registered
691 Posts
No

Tire Shaving Service some time is a better option , not to pay for all 4 new tires ...

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tire Shaving Service

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tire Shaving Service some time is a better option , not to pay for all 4 new tires ...

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tire Shaving Service
If a tire is non-repairable, what's a reasonable amount of time to be on the spare? Manual just says, "Use of the temporary spare tire should therefore be restricted to the minimum time necessary." If ordering a shaved tire, delivery time is several days and may be even longer if transit time crosses the weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks.
actually it makes sence, cuz x2 axles, x2 differentials, maybe more x2, but u know subaru is pretty reliable, so do not think about that much)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts