Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Does Subaru's Gold Plus warranty cover "wear and tear" on the electronics that run the safety features and everything? I need to figure out if that's really that warranty I should have.

Background: I signed paperwork for a 2020 Ascent Premium last night, and the finance guy told us that the Subaru warranty is 3 years, but the second 2 years they don't cover "wear and tear" so potentially the electronics could go and it would be really expensive to fix. He told us that we wanted to buy the coverage because if the electronics go, then the safety features won't work and that most electronics issues take 3 days of labor plus parts and cost like $6K. It was 10PM, and we'd been at the dealership for 3 hours with our kids and without dinner at that point, so we ended up agreeing to a 7-year dealer-backed warranty (I thought it was SOA, but doesn't look like it) that will cover wear and tear with a $50 deductible; does not cover dings/dents or wheels/tires. It was like $2400. Today I feel like I got taken advantage of as he didn't even discuss the Subaru Gold Plus that I am seeing all over this forum. If the Subaru Gold Plus would cover wear and tear on the electronic parts, I would rather that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just got out and reviewed my Subaru Added Security Gold Plus service agreement (8 years/80,000 miles with $100 deductible) on our 2019 Ascent. Under the coverage for electrical, it states that the digital information cluster, computer, clock, analog dash gauges, and many other components are covered. It also lists the things that are not covered such as filters, fluids, wiper blades, tires, light bulbs, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "wear and tear" but my understanding is that if it is a Subaru Gold Plus warranty, all your electronics and safety features are covered if they fail and thus they should be repaired under the warranty. I've had several Subaru Gold Plus warranties, and all needed repairs were done with no hassle, although I don't think I ever needed to use the Added Security Subaru warranties on most of the Subarus that I've owned.

You may want to check with your dealer if you can cancel the dealer-backed warranty and get a Subaru Added Security Service Agreement (either Classic or Gold Plus). In many states you have a right to cancel an agreement for several days. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Electronics are not "wear and tear items". That dealer was feeding you a pile of you-know-what. No __ way would I ever buy a non-manufacturer backed extended service contract. Also, I believe there are a few wear items that Subaru covers for the first year under the OEM warranty...I don't have time right now to look that up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Head back to the dealer and get your money back on that third party warranty. You have 3 years to decide if you want the Subaru Gold warranty. No rush.
CANCEL IT - only buy the Subaru Added Security-Gold Plus. It DOES cover wear and tear. Here is the link and note the large print on the front https://www.subaru.com/addedsecurity
"Added Security covers wear and tear of covered components."

Also, note that if you cancel it at any point, you get a prorated refund or can transfer the remaining time to the new owner-hopefully getting you a better resale price. I would purchase now so as to "lock" in today's pricing. In 2018 they had two price increases during the 6 months I was waiting for mine to be built.

Do not initially accept the price your dealership shows you. Tell them you are going to compare prices with other dealerships. Call others in the area, it (including purchase) can all be done over the phone/internet. Come to this Forum and ask what "we" think of the best offer you received is. I ended up saving $1,500 on what my dealership showed me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
CANCEL IT - only buy the Subaru Added Security-Gold Plus. It DOES cover wear and tear. Here is the link and note the large print on the front https://www.subaru.com/addedsecurity
"Added Security covers wear and tear of covered components."

Also, note that if you cancel it at any point, you get a prorated refund or can transfer the remaining time to the new owner-hopefully getting you a better resale price. I would purchase now so as to "lock" in today's pricing. In 2018 they had two price increases during the 6 months I was waiting for mine to be built.

Do not initially accept the price your dealership shows you. Tell them you are going to compare prices with other dealerships. Call others in the area, it (including purchase) can all be done over the phone/internet. Come to this Forum and ask what "we" think of the best offer you received is. I ended up saving $1,500 on what my dealership showed me.
P.S. The genuine SOA Added Security Gold Plus has either a Zero or $100 deductible - your choice. BTW, it does not cover Dings and Dents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I went over all of the paperwork and they had also made an error on the financing rate, so as long as they needed to redo the paperwork I also was able to have them remove the non-SOA warranty.

I will definitely show around for the Gold Plus and see what prices other dealerships are quoting. So much easier to think clearly about this when there's no one pressuring me!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Question: Does Subaru's Gold Plus warranty cover "wear and tear" on the electronics that run the safety features and everything? I need to figure out if that's really that warranty I should have.

Background: I signed paperwork for a 2020 Ascent Premium last night, and the finance guy told us that the Subaru warranty is 3 years, but the second 2 years they don't cover "wear and tear" so potentially the electronics could go and it would be really expensive to fix. He told us that we wanted to buy the coverage because if the electronics go, then the safety features won't work and that most electronics issues take 3 days of labor plus parts and cost like $6K. It was 10PM, and we'd been at the dealership for 3 hours with our kids and without dinner at that point, so we ended up agreeing to a 7-year dealer-backed warranty (I thought it was SOA, but doesn't look like it) that will cover wear and tear with a $50 deductible; does not cover dings/dents or wheels/tires. It was like $2400. Today I feel like I got taken advantage of as he didn't even discuss the Subaru Gold Plus that I am seeing all over this forum. If the Subaru Gold Plus would cover wear and tear on the electronic parts, I would rather that.
I realize this post is old but I figure owners could benefit from a detailed description of the extended warranty and I came across this document.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I realize this post is old but I figure owners could benefit from a detailed description of the extended warranty and I came across this document.
What is the date of this brochure? I don't see one on it. I picked up an old brochure (2017?) that covered more than the current one and SOA put a note in my file to include what had been dropped from the existing one.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
What is the date of this brochure? I don't see one on it. I picked up an old brochure (2017?) that covered more than the current one and SOA put a note in my file to include what had been dropped from the existing one.
I too do not see a date on it. I was completing a search and it came up as the first item. The detailed list for the Gold plan is not all inclusive and indicates more items are covered but does not specifically list them.

I did identify the document properties which would indicate it is from 1/2020 and it is published by Subaru.

File name: sas_brochure.pdf
File size: 3.29 MB (3,445,612 bytes)
Title: -
Author: -
Subject: -
Keywords: -
Creation Date: 1/16/2020, 3:07:18 PM
Modification Date: 1/16/2020, 3:08:02 PM
Creator: Adobe InDesign 14.0 (Macintosh)
PDF Producer: Adobe PDF Library 15.0
PDF Version: 1.7
Page Count: 7
Page Size: 355.6 × 215.9 mm (Legal, landscape)
Fast Web View: Yes

·
Registered
584 Posts
I too do not see a date on it. I was completing a search and it came up as the first item. The detailed list for the Gold plan is not all inclusive and indicates more items are covered but does not specifically list them.

I did identify the document properties which would indicate it is from 1/2020 and it is published by Subaru.

File name: sas_brochure.pdf
File size: 3.29 MB (3,445,612 bytes)
Title: -
Author: -
Subject: -
Keywords: -
Creation Date: 1/16/2020, 3:07:18 PM
Modification Date: 1/16/2020, 3:08:02 PM
Creator: Adobe InDesign 14.0 (Macintosh)
PDF Producer: Adobe PDF Library 15.0
PDF Version: 1.7
Page Count: 7
Page Size: 355.6 × 215.9 mm (Legal, landscape)
Fast Web View: Yes
Thanks! It's more extensive than the info/brochure I have. The first brochure I had included Road Hazards. It was thru a discussion here (in 2018) that I ended up checking with SOA. That's when I discovered I had an outdated brochure.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Thanks! It's more extensive than the info/brochure I have. The first brochure I had included Road Hazards. It was thru a discussion here (in 2018) that I ended up checking with SOA. That's when I discovered I had an outdated brochure.
I just had my front hub wheel bearing units replaced. I was in the dealer for brakes and I guess they noticed bearings were worn. I have just over 37000 miles, so I assume they covered it under the Gold Plus plan. While there, the tech also noticed my radiator bushings were in not in place correctly, so they were replaced.

I could easily see that without a Gold Plus plan that this attention would not occur (at least without a charge). In this case, the Gold Plus plan appears is going to pay for itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts