Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had someone tell me that there are extra additives in the factory fill oil and to not change the oil till the 6000 mile or 6 month period.
That by changing it early I am making a mistake.
I don't drive all that much and in 6 months I was only around 3000 miles. At the end of the first year I was just over 6000 miles. So two oil changes within the recommended time frame rather than the mileage number.
Not aware that a break in oil is used anymore today.
Thanks

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
I had someone tell me that there are extra additives in the factory fill oil and to not change the oil till the 6000 mile or 6 month period.
That by changing it early I am making a mistake.
I don't drive all that much and in 6 months I was only around 3000 miles. At the end of the first year I was just over 6000 miles. So two oil changes within the recommended time frame rather than the mileage number.
Not aware that a break in oil is used anymore today.
Thanks
I believe so, based on some oil analysis posted.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I will admit I changed my oil at 3,000 miles the first time and did not wait the 6,000 they recommend. I have 18,000 miles on my car without any issues. I now change mine every 5,000 miles and always use a high quality synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Highly doubt it. The content of the first oil change will be different because the “additive” is the assembly lube, just by definition of the word “addition” or “additive”.

Here’s a good hypothesis: if I change the oil after the first 1000mi, the engine will be damaged to a certain degree.

When you utter that hypothesis out loud, you wouldn’t be serious enough to ask that question to the head mechanic at Subaru.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Highly doubt it. The content of the first oil change will be different because the “additive” is the assembly lube, just by definition of the word “addition” or “additive”.
That too was found in the oil, as well as break in additives. ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts