Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't like Android Auto, but want to have the capability of using it for Google Maps when needed. All I really want to do is charge my phone.
:unsure:

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,029 Posts
I've observed Android Auto to automatically be available after plugging my phone in (the icon will show on the Ascent's screen), but it doesn't automatically start when it's available...it just becomes an option at that point. Are you saying that it automatically loads for you, and takes over the screen? I don't think I've seen that with ours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I have the Subaru navigation and when I plug the phone in I no longer have the Tomtom navigation, Google Maps starts I can no longer use the Subaru voice commands as the Android Auto takes preference.

·
Registered
761 Posts
While you will lose all functionality of Android auto, I plug my phone into the second row USB outlets when I don't want to use it, and I just listen to the nav guidance via Bluetooth, I know it's not what you're looking to do, but that's what I've done.
I think you either get 'everything, or nothing,' with Android auto functionality, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There's an auto-launch setting in the AutoAndroid app on the phone. Start the app, hit the menu bars (top left), settings, scroll down to Autolaunch, tap it, then see if it's enabled. It's set to off on my phone and it doesn't start up automatically when I plug it in, though it does appear as an available app on the car's screen and can be started from there.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Yes. I have the Subaru navigation and when I plug the phone in I no longer have the Tomtom navigation, Google Maps starts I can no longer use the Subaru voice commands as the Android Auto takes preference.
Actually, just tap the physical "Maps" button below the screen and you can use the built in navigation. You cannot use the voice commands though, as you noted.

To try to resolve that, go into Android Auto settings and disable auto-start. Next time your car is started, it will hopefully not connect, thus allowing you access to the car's built in voice system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really don't like Android Auto, but want to have the capability of using it for Google Maps when needed. All I really want to do is charge my phone.
:unsure:
go to your settings on your phone. Open apps find android auto do a force stop then look for the button to disable it. This works I was having the same problem.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Isn't there two USB ports there? I thought only one of them connects the phone to the Infotainment system. Also, my dealer said the type of charge cord would make it so the AA doesn't connect. Try another, cheaper version charge cable.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Both front USB ports connect to the head unit for phone or digital data. I use one for my phone, and one for my USB thumb drive. A true charge only cord will prevent data from phone to head unit. A data blocker dongle/device will also do the same.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Both front USB ports connect to the head unit for phone or digital data. I use one for my phone, and one for my USB thumb drive. A true charge only cord will prevent data from phone to head unit. A data blocker dongle/device will also do the same.
I know I can't use the bottom one of the two for Map Updates via USB.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've used either port. I have a stick ready to try, but, I did OTA instead... next time, I will test.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a long USB cord plugged into the backseat USB port, which is a charge only. Wife charges her phone, i plug into the front for google maps and speaker phone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts