Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2021 Ascent with a dealer installed 2” lift and Nitto all terrains. I wanted to get a full size spare since I live in far west TX and regularly drive to Arizona and northern New Mexico… both drives go through large sections of ___ where a blown tire would push the factory spare to its limits to make it back to civilization and then still probably be stranded waiting on a full size replacement.

I emailed Rigid and asked how much of the backup camera it blocked, and if a bike rack will fit onto the secondary hitch spot it provides. They said it blocks “about 50%” of the backup camera, and that it has a space for a bike rack. But looking at the pics it looks like it blocks wayyyy more than 50% of camera view, and the secondary hitch spot looks too far recessed for a bike rack to actually work without taking the spare tire off.

So, does anyone have one of these setup and can confirm if a bike rack fits with the tire on? And the backup camera is a minor issue, I mean I did spend most of my driving life in cars that didn’t have cameras, but would still like to know if it’s even still useful with this on.

TIA!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree that it would be hard to believe that this only blocks 1/2 of the rear view camera. But it looks darn good!
View attachment 15151
Right? Looks like it fully blocks it. Which is OK, I was mainly just curious. Plus the Touring trim has the video that you can display in the rear view mirror that would help some. I’m totally digging it, and my main holdback right now is if I can run the bike rack or not, as I recently invested like $2K into a new bike that I plan on taking all over the place to ride.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Right? Looks like it fully blocks it. Which is OK, I was mainly just curious. Plus the Touring trim has the video that you can display in the rear view mirror that would help some. I’m totally digging it, and my main holdback right now is if I can run the bike rack or not, as I recently invested like $2K into a new bike that I plan on taking all over the place to ride.
Looks like you have to modify the tailgate bumper cover also. Probably not a big deal. Not sure about the bike rack. Have you thought about putting one on top? Or maybe using a basket where you can lay your bike down on a foam bed, strap it down and not worry about it. I use a Thule canyon Xt on my ascent when fishing in Yellowstone and it’s great.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,660 Posts
Right? Looks like it fully blocks it. Which is OK, I was mainly just curious. Plus the Touring trim has the video that you can display in the rear view mirror that would help some.
Keep in mind that the Touring's video rear view is a very different field of view than the backup camera. They are certainly complimentary, but the former has no look at anything close to the back of the Ascent closer than 10-15 feet. (I use that function 100% of the time instead of the mirror-mirror) You are pretty much back to using the side mirrors exclusively for backing up. Any hitch receiver mounted appliance is going to compromise rear view (real and electronic) as well as sometimes affect the rear collision/crosspath sensors just due to the nature of where things physically reside.

So for me, I'd very much consider using a tire carrier like that for true off road adventures, but I'd be loath to have it on there full time...I really do use and depend upon the backup camera and cross path stuff for sure. But that's me. :) Others may feel differently.

Reactions: The_Dude

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not have the spare tire mount in question, but I have a lot of experience with different bike racks. All the rack manufacturers have a dimension chart that shows the distance from the hitch pin to the rack when it is folded up. It also shows the distance when extended normally. That distance is probably the main determinant for whether a particular rack will work with the spare holder or not.

In the picture above, that distance will apply to where the recovery loop is attached. Doing my best guess based on the picture, the Saris MTR I have now and Kuat Transfer I used previously would not fold up with the spare. They're also pretty heavy and I would be concerned about hanging that much weight that far from the actual hitch.

I previously had a Swagman that had a very long arm extending from the hitch that could work, but again, the weight would be a concern to me.

If a cargo basket is an option, the Rhino Rack X-Tray has thru axle mounts that you could use to carry the bike. I've also thought about throwing a full size spare up there since I carry more than one bike pretty frequently.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have the spare tire mount in question, but I have a lot of experience with different bike racks. All the rack manufacturers have a dimension chart that shows the distance from the hitch pin to the rack when it is folded up. It also shows the distance when extended normally. That distance is probably the main determinant for whether a particular rack will work with the spare holder or not.

In the picture above, that distance will apply to where the recovery loop is attached. Doing my best guess based on the picture, the Saris MTR I have now and Kuat Transfer I used previously would not fold up with the spare. They're also pretty heavy and I would be concerned about hanging that much weight that far from the actual hitch.

I previously had a Swagman that had a very long arm extending from the hitch that could work, but again, the weight would be a concern to me.

If a cargo basket is an option, the Rhino Rack X-Tray has thru axle mounts that you could use to carry the bike. I've also thought about throwing a full size spare up there since I carry more than one bike pretty frequently.
That’s good info about the racks, thank you! I actually did buy a cargo basket with the intentions of using it to carry the tire. I went to a local auto supply store that’s popular here, and they told me it was a “Rhino basket” so I bought it. The box was unmarked, so I didn’t realize until I got home and ripped the box to shreds pulling the basket out that it’s a “Go Rhino” brand, which I’d never heard of. No big deal. But then after setting it up on the Subie, the mounting brackets/bolts stick up like a full inch above the basket itself… so I don’t feel comfortable putting a tire on that… all the vibrations will probably let the bolts wear their way through the sidewall eventually.
So currently I was at the crossroads trying to decide on selling the cargo basket on FB Marketplace or something, and buying a better basket like Yakima Lock N Load… or getting this tire carrier.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,667 Posts
Keep in mind that the Touring's video rear view is a very different field of view than the backup camera. They are certainly complimentary, but the former has no look at anything close to the back of the Ascent closer than 10-15 feet. (I use that function 100% of the time instead of the mirror-mirror) You are pretty much back to using the side mirrors exclusively for backing up. Any hitch receiver mounted appliance is going to compromise rear view (real and electronic) as well as sometimes affect the rear collision/crosspath sensors just due to the nature of where things physically reside.

So for me, I'd very much consider using a tire carrier like that for true off road adventures, but I'd be loath to have it on there full time...I really do use and depend upon the backup camera and cross path stuff for sure. But that's me. :) Others may feel differently.
might someone come up with a camera extension kit?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,522 Posts
Keep in mind that the Touring's video rear view is a very different field of view than the backup camera.
Yeah. Don't look in the Smart Mirror video mode when backing up. Between no depth perception, angle of view and high aim it looks like you'll hit things that are actually 10' away. Only for for on-the-road use.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. Don't look in the Smart Mirror video mode when backing up. Between no depth perception, angle of view and high aim it looks like you'll hit things that are actually 10' away. Only for for on-the-road use.
Oh, yeah for sure. I should have clarified I didn’t mean as the sole view for backing up, but just as offering a tad more awareness than only having the side view mirrors.
I’m mostly likely just going to buy a different roof rack versus getting this carrier. It seemed like a good solution at first, but the more I think about it and look into it, I’m just not “feeling it.”

·
Administrator
12,478 Posts
IIRC, @Robert.Mauro did (or planned to do) something like that...but I might be on crack and not actually be RC.
I did indeed. I even did some vids. I will see if I can put some notes together when I get back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.