Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this whole game. After much research, I have decided to combine my Subaru Ascent Limited with a Forest River RPod (190) but I get such mixed reviews. Is there anyone here who has that combo (or any RPod combo with this vehicle, and what is your experience with how it tows? I get a lot of negative feedback, but so far it is only people who do not have that combo, so I really wanted to get real life experience from someone who has the combo and has done some trips.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this whole game. After much research, I have decided to combine my Subaru Ascent Limited with a Forest River RPod (190) but I get such mixed reviews. Is there anyone here who has that combo (or any RPod combo with this vehicle, and what is your experience with how it tows? I get a lot of negative feedback, but so far it is only people who do not have that combo, so I really wanted to get real life experience from someone who has the combo and has done some trips.

Thanks
What kind of negative feedback are you getting?

The RP-190 has a dry hitch weight of 390 lbs and a UVW of only 2979 lbs. This should be fine for the Ascent even when loaded. If you like the trailer, I don't see any issues.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have no experience with that specific trailer, but I've never run into enigmatic trailer towing issues. If the trailer's fully loaded weight and tongue weight are comfortably within the tow vehicle's limits, and the tongue weight is also 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight, it tows fine. Trailers with larger frontal area will usually get worse mileage due to increased wind resistance. Trailers with more side area will be more susceptible to cross winds and wakes from passing trucks. These normally are easy to handle while driving, but if too unsettling, you can slow down, or stop and wait out unusually high crosswinds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We’ve got a 2018 Keystone Bullet Colt 171RKCT, which is very similar to the R-Pod 190. Dry weight is just at 3000 lbs with a tongue weight of 360 lbs. Over the past 2 summers we’ve driven from Connecticut to Glacier and Yellowstone NP ( a little under 6500 miles round trip) and to Rocky Mountain NP (about 4500 miles). Our 2019 Ascent Limited towed the camper beautifully, even being able to maintain 70 mph (when legal) and getting around 12 mpg over the entire trip. In the mountains, it had no issues climbing even the steepest inclines and navigating the twisties. Like everyone has said in this forum, Subaru’s built-in electronic sway control does a good job of keeping the camper under control. The only issue we had was a stint through North Dakota with 45 mph crosswinds, but I’m not sure if anything would have done well with those conditions. Simply slowing to 55-60 mph was enough to make me feel under control and safe. Overall, I’ve got nothing but praise for the Ascent as a tow vehicle. I hope this gives you confidence to go with your combination.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FWIW, I don't have an RPOD but am pulling a 2021 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS; dry weight of about 3100, similar to your RPOD. Ilive in CO so drive in the mountains, and was worried too about what everyone on other forums (Facebook) suggests (if you listen to the haters, everyone needs to drive a F250 or above to tow anything). in reality, there are many fine mid-size SUVs that pull well. Having just spent our first summer with a camper and the ascent It's great. It's not winning any awards up the 12k foot passes, but neither are the F250's. Just got back from 2 weeks in western Colorado, with many passes and altitude gains and drops. Did great... just make sure you install a trailer brake (like in any tow vehicle) and if decending big grades (like in CO) use the manual shifters to use your transmission to help apply resistance (again, not unique to an Ascent but any tow vehicle).

Check out this thread for a Redarc Tow Controller install I followed, nice and discrete.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, I don't have an RPOD but am pulling a 2021 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS; dry weight of about 3100, similar to your RPOD. Ilive in CO so drive in the mountains, and was worried too about what everyone on other forums (Facebook) suggests (if you listen to the haters, everyone needs to drive a F250 or above to tow anything). in reality, there are many fine mid-size SUVs that pull well. Having just spent our first summer with a camper and the ascent It's great. It's not winning any awards up the 12k foot passes, but neither are the F250's. Just got back from 2 weeks in western Colorado, with many passes and altitude gains and drops. Did great... just make sure you install a trailer brake (like in any tow vehicle) and if decending big grades (like in CO) use the manual shifters to use your transmission to help apply resistance (again, not unique to an Ascent but any tow vehicle).

Check out this thread for a Redarc Tow Controller install I followed, nice and discrete.
How do you like the Wolf Pup 16BHS? That is on our short list of trailers are looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts