Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, I've seen primarily excellent reviews of Michelin CrossClimate tires. Does anyone have feedback driving their Ascent with these tires in winter conditions as I'm considering replacing my Falkens?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I looked into this because the Michelin CrossClimate has received fantastic reviews and is one of the very few tires currently available that can function as either all-season and/or actual snow tires. It's groundbreaking and can eliminate the need to have two sets of tires for both summer and winter.

Unfortunately, the CrossClimate is a sedan tire and not an SUV tire which requires a higher load rating. Michelin does manufacture a CrossClimate tire for SUVs predictably called the "CrossClimate SUV", but unfortunately they don't make the size required for the Ascent, at least not yet. I'm hoping that by the time my OEM tires wear out, they will.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
You might spend some time in the Tires/Wheels section of the forum here to see what folks have been doing for tire decisions.

Reactions: Howard Green

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You might spend some time in the Tires/Wheels section of the forum here to see what folks have been doing for tire decisions.
For the average user in a snow belt (not off-roaders or specialty uses) nothing currently comes close to the Michelin CrossClimate for use as both an all-season type tire and a winter-only tire. The CrossClimate is a game-changer because you'll only need one set of tires year-round, they're that good for both normal and cold/snow driving.

I encourage everyone here interested in the CrossClimate to contact Michelin and ask for them to produce it for the Ascent. I did and they replied they would if they got enough interest.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
They are available for the Ascent 18" wheel size, 245/60R18.
So are the Defenders, but not in the 20" wheel size, sadly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good info friends. I contacted Michelin and they said they will pass along the interest to product development. I also sent a tweet to @MichelinUSA and they responded the same. I'd love to run these on my Ascent.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks for the good info friends. I contacted Michelin and they said they will pass along the interest to product development. I also sent a tweet to @MichelinUSA and they responded the same. I'd love to run these on my Ascent.
Everyone else who wants a 20" size, please do the same. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Call or text: 1-866-866-6605
Email or Chat: Michelin Customer Support (Click on Help & Support)

They said that if they get enough interest they will produce the 245/50R20 needed for the Ascent 20" wheels.

If you want one set of tires for both summer and winter, these are near perfect.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
They now have my request, too...

Reactions: pro10is

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are they quiet? Good for long summer road trips too? That‘s what I love about Michelin A/Ss - they fill the summer role extremely well. Good MPGs, very quiet, excellent rain performance..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
About 3 weeks ago I had a piece of gravel go through the stock Falken tires (245/60r-18). After about 30 seconds of debate I decided to replace them all with the CrossClimet tires.

To start out the review, I would say these are the best tires I have ever owned. I did my research on them and they really are everything they claim. First and foremost the quality I look for in a tire is cold wet rain performance. In Oregon this accounts for about half of our driving. The tires feel competent and well planted all the time. Even when pushed past the limits, the tires slide predictably. Overall grip is outstanding. I can’t imagine any tire preforming better period.

I have driven them quite a few miles on wet gravel county roads and they preform better than any tire I have ever had.

They are a little noisier than the stock Falkens but noise is the bottom of my list of importance.

Just buy them, seriously :)

Are they quiet? Good for long summer road trips too? That‘s what I love about Michelin A/Ss - they fill the summer role extremely well. Good MPGs, very quiet, excellent rain performance..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nothing is completely new under the sun ;) - recall the Goodyear Aquatread in the early 90s and later the Eagle F1 in the early-oughts.

The Aquatread was a pattern driven by consumer focus-group research as much as anything else, with engineers working to make the popular tread-pattern actually perform the way folks viscerally felt they should. It was so popular that the tread pattern even made its way into shoe soles at the time, for various markets from "boat shoes" to working shoes designed for the industrial setting.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
All-weather tires isn't really groundbreaking in 2020.

They have been around for about 20 years.

This is interesting. New tech often takes a while to break into the mainstream market because people are often unaware of breakthrough products. I was unaware of these types of tires until just recently when I was actively looking for suitable winter tires but was tired of the expense and bother to own two sets of tires.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^ Ah, you've just gotta hang out with "us" more! :) As The Ascestion noted, they've been in-use for quite a while, now. When I first came in to the Subaru community back in 2005 was when I first learned about them, thanks to those in the winter-tire side of the hobby, much like what we have here. ;)

Those of us who are fanatical about winter tires typically start hyperventilating about them some time shortly after the 4th of July fireworks are going off....

Hey, with the coming season's European/Scandinavian/Russian testing results ypically starting to become available some time in September, we've gotta be ready, you know?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^ Ah, you've just gotta hang out with "us" more! :) As The Ascestion noted, they've been in-use for quite a while, now. When I first came in to the Subaru community back in 2005 was when I first learned about them, thanks to those in the winter-tire side of the hobby, much like what we have here. ;)

Those of us who are fanatical about winter tires typically start hyperventilating about them some time shortly after the 4th of July fireworks are going off....

Hey, with the coming season's European/Scandinavian/Russian testing starting in September, we've gotta be ready, you know?
Lol, I haven't had to purchase winter tires since 2009, so I need to get up to date on all of this. My Michelin Pilot Alipns are still in use on my Forester, but this will definitely be the last year for them. Great tires.

So I'll need tires for both my Forester and my Ascent to cover all four seasons. If I go with the CrossClimates I'll only need to purchase two sets of tires for both cars year-round, thus my interest in "all-weather" tires.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^ Realistically, the bane of the "All Weather"/"All Season" is mileage and wear: even then, it's up to the individual end-users' driving habits, really. And as for the money aspect of the decision, it's just a matter of really looking at whether it is more cost-effective or if the seasonal switch-out happens to be.

As you know from another thread (Is a second set of rims really necessary? have a close relative in the DC area who successfully weathered Snowmageddon with his Nokian WR-series All Weathers, but he's pretty religious about when he swaps out his tires.

If you're willing to sell your half-tread-depth tires on the secondary market, you may even recoup a quarter of their value (as well as help-out a fellow driver who may be in-need of something to just help them get by for one more season, on-the-cheap).

Regardless, for those of us who have been in this area of the hobby for a few years, it's always interesting to see how the North American market has "matured" - and continues to do so. It took a while for winter tires to catch-on, and now that it's starting to really spread like wildfire, we're sorta seeing the same push-back on "All-Season" and "All-Weather" tires that we initially saw with modern winter tires. :) It takes time. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts