Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love recommendations of a good roof cargo basket. We're towing a tiny tent trailer (under 500 lbs total) and would like to put the coolers on the roof. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
You may want to browse the Accessories and Exterior technical sections of this forum site to see what others have done "up top".

·
Registered
29 Posts

We bought this one on E. It worked great for our trip that we needed it for.

It’s a little noisy above 50 mph, but it’s tolerable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not greatly. Highway driving was around 20mpg if I remember, and the basket and car were loaded with stuff. Around town it’s the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
View attachment 4771

We bought this one on E. It worked great for our trip that we needed it for.

It’s a little noisy above 50 mph, but it’s tolerable.

Unrelated. Where is your D-riNg shackle attached? I can’t find anywhere on the front of the vehicle for a front recovery point. It annoys me to no end that Subaru did not include one. Not even a front eyelet hole. It’s one reason I remiss to any riskier off roading.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I use a Rola roof basket. It's pretty nice. Thule's are much nicer.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Unrelated. Where is your D-riNg shackle attached? I can’t find anywhere on the front of the vehicle for a front recovery point. It annoys me to no end that Subaru did not include one. Not even a front eyelet hole. It’s one reason I remiss to any riskier off roading.
They're here:
  • FRONT: Underside of the car along the frame rails, two tie-down points (dont use with a shackle) and one recovery point (use with a shackle).
  • REAR (NO HITCH): under the bumper cover's cover plate on driver's side. Your eye bolt will be under the cargo area, and screws into the bumper.
  • REAR (WITH OEM HITCH): Buy a 2" hitch shackle - you lose the thread in recovery point when you lose the bumper.
Drawings of the locations are in the Owner's Manual, but, I cannot get the drawings right now to post.

·
Registered
223 Posts
They're here:
  • FRONT: Underside of the car along the frame rails, two tie-down points (dont use with a shackle) and one recovery point (use with a shackle).
  • REAR (NO HITCH): under the bumper cover's cover plate on driver's side. Your eye bolt will be under the cargo area, and screws into the bumper.
  • REAR (WITH OEM HITCH): Buy a 2" hitch shackle - you lose the thread in recovery point when you lose the bumper.
Drawings of the locations are in the Owner's Manual, but, I cannot get the drawings right now to post.
Thanks Robert. I will have a look at the manual and have read other posts on this. However I thought people mentioned that this was the 'tie-down' point used for downward pulling force, not in line recovery force?

The picture that @Ty3 posted has the D-ring shackle located right near/on the front bumper. I am wondering if he cut through the bumper and custom made an attachment point? I don't think the frame rails extend that far.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks Robert. I will have a look at the manual and have read other posts on this. However I thought people mentioned that this was the 'tie-down' point used for downward pulling force, not in line recovery force?

The picture that @Ty3 posted has the D-ring shackle located right near/on the front bumper. I am wondering if he cut through the bumper and custom made an attachment point? I don't think the frame rails extend that far.
I too would love to know what it's hooked to. It's below the frame rail.

I did a quick and horrible video for you. Here's the tie down locations and the recovery location. I suspect he's got something bolted to the recovery location. @Ty3 I'd love to know what.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not greatly. Highway driving was around 20mpg if I remember, and the basket and car were loaded with stuff. Around town it’s the same.
Thank you! I have a Yakima Loadwarrior with the extension that's just sitting in the garage. Been itching to put it on, the something always comes up

·
Registered
29 Posts

Here’s the link

1 - 13 of 13 Posts