Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I registered just to ask this question. We are so close to ditching our Odyssey and buying an Ascent, but need to know if an upright double bass (the orchestra instrument) can fit in the back. We have 3 kids, who will sit 3 across in the 2nd row, but one plays a 1/8 size double bass (which will get larger as years go by). We need to haul it to and from school twice a week. I figured I would ask if anyone here has experience with this, before we go bringing the bass with us to a car dealership :D Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi all! I registered just to ask this question. We are so close to ditching our Odyssey and buying an Ascent, but need to know if an upright double bass (the orchestra instrument) can fit in the back. We have 3 kids, who will sit 3 across in the 2nd row, but one plays a 1/8 size double bass (which will get larger as years go by). We need to haul it to and from school twice a week. I figured I would ask if anyone here has experience with this, before we go bringing the bass with us to a car dealership :D Thank you so much!
Great choice of instrument! What is the height of a 1/8 DB? Around 60" without a case? The site cars101.com has dimensions of every recent Subaru including pictures, but they still haven't published those for the Ascent - keep looking though.

I do not think that bass will fit straight front-to-back, but maybe at an angle? You can gain even more room if you slide the second row up. In the Outback, the diagonal length of the cargo area is 59 1/2" according to cars101.com. The Ascent is a bit bigger back there, but the difference not substantial enough to guess if that 1/8 size DB will fit. You might have to just bring it to the dealer and try.

Edit: Just did some digging - https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/149-interior/1465-cargo-area-floor-dimensions.html

There is 45.5" of room from tailgate to the back of the second row. It is also about 44" wide. Using some good ol' trigonometry, it looks like about 63" diagonal. Like I said, it's a tight fit for even a small double bass (that's only going to get bigger with time). But you do have the option to slide the seats forward...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts