Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally caught my random smokey start on video (link below). This has been happening since the car was new at random times. I know others have complained about this too but seemingly attributed to overfilled oil. My oil is just below the full line.

Going to present this video to the dealer when I go in to get the front rotors turned. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It doesn't really look that abnormal.. and towards the end of the 9 second clip it looks like it is disappearing. It doesn't look like oil burning as that would be a different color. How long does the smoking stay? Is the engine always cold when this happens?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Looks like oil to me. Oil smoke is white...maybe slightly grey. Back in the day I drove a few worn out heaps. One in particular I had to junk of when the smoke screen it was laying down became too thick. No amount of STP or Motor Honey would help.

Black smoke is from running way too rich. I've dealt with that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it’s definitely oil smoke, I know the smell. Not always on cold starts but usually the car has to sit for more than an hour.

My uneducated guess, I’m thinking is has something to do with an exhaust valve guide leaking only when the engine stops and that valve is open or closed.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
That smoke does have a tinge of blue to it; it looks like a puff of oil to me. I agree that it's consistent with a valve guide that may be letting oil through over time. It is curious that it doesn't happen all the time. Is your car subject to the PCV valve recall, and has it been performed if so?

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
@Guvnor let us know what the dealer says after seeing the video and If it happens anymore after/if they replace anything.
What’s leading you to turning the front rotors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car was subject to the PCV recall and it was replaced about two months ago.
@xydadx3 Like others on here have experienced, the front rotors are warped and getting worse over time. Had the dealer confirm that when it was in to replace the PCV and they asked I bring it back since they wanted a full day to turn rotors!?! I thought it would be easier to just replace the rotors but since it’s Covered under warranty I’m not complaining.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
My car was subject to the PCV recall and it was replaced about two months ago.
@xydadx3 ...the front rotors are warped and getting worse over time...I thought it would be easier to just replace the rotors but since it’s Covered under warranty I’m not complaining.
I know it’s off topic of the smoke and there are other threads about it but I doubt turning them will help for long. They may be starting that route in case they just need a new surface to start wearing which will save money. Check out other threads where posted pics of how bad my fronts were. Turning them was a bandaid that fell off as soon as they got hot again. Replacing them is the only solution so I recommend putting some wear on them to test the repair. Big Subaru took good care of me on that repair.

Back on topic mine had smoke on 2 startups ever. Both times in mid 2019, about 10-13k miles ago. I never did anything and it just went away. It would be cool to see if anything they do to yours has a lasting effect on whether or not it smokes at startup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes my rotors look similar to yours and also doubt the wisdom of simply turning the rotors. Unfortunately as is sometimes the nature of warranty work within the dealership model, there is little motivation to find the quickest solution and they simply want to tick all the boxes that the manufacturer requires along the way to finding the eventual solution. Long story short, more visits usually means more money for the stealership.

The Ascent now goes in for service next week and will update the thread accordingly.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yes my rotors look similar to yours and also doubt the wisdom of simply turning the rotors. Unfortunately as is sometimes the nature of warranty work within the dealership model, there is little motivation to find the quickest solution and they simply want to tick all the boxes that the manufacturer requires along the way to finding the eventual solution. Long story short, more visits usually means more money for the stealership.

The Ascent now goes in for service next week and will update the thread accordingly.
Under the warranty contract between dealer and Subaru, the dealer will get paid only if they follow the step by step.proceedures laid out my Subaru. Subaru develops these procedures to not only fix the issue but to add to the knowledge base for QC on design as well as their supply sources. It is the latter goal that sometimes is cumbetsome for the owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally caught my random smokey start on video (link below). This has been happening since the car was new at random times. I know others have complained about this too but seemingly attributed to overfilled oil. My oil is just below the full line.

Going to present this video to the dealer when I go in to get the front rotors turned. Stay tuned.

Our 2019 does the same thing. We took to the dealer, they said the pcv valve failed. They changed it. Kept doing it, now they say it is from the turbo engine and the boxter engine and oil not draining all the way out. They say it is normal.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Our 2019 does the same thing. We took to the dealer, they said the pcv valve failed. They changed it. Kept doing it, now they say it is from the turbo engine and the boxter engine and oil not draining all the way out. They say it is normal.
if was normal all the Ascent vehicles would do it and that is simply not the case.
consider this possible reason.

Also "blow-by"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to call the dealer again and bring that up along with the bs reasons they say it’s normal.
Do any other turbo Subaru’s smoke like this on start up, anyone know?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I am going to call the dealer again and bring that up along with the bs reasons they say it’s normal.
I have read in this forum that some do. Mine does not. I see this site indicates I am in Canada. I am in Colorado but I am currently using VPN server in Canada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ryan,
Please call Subaru of America and get a trouble ticket started on your Ascent. They will work with you and as a go between with your dealer to get the problem solved.
Ours smoked like crazy, but only when it was parked across a slope with the passenger side of the car downhill. It took us nine months of tests and videos, along with them replacing the PCV valve (which did not fix the problem), to finally get a new short block from Subaru. I know it’s frustrating, but there are tests and hoops to jump through first.
When getting a video, please start the video at least 30 seconds before starting the engine and continue the video for at least 3 minutes, focusing on the exhaust pipes the entire time.
Subaru will stand behind their product, it just takes some time and tests to rule out any other part that might be causing the smoke.
Just hang in there but do get Subaru of America involved on your behalf..

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts

I am not familiar with the Subaru Engine but remembering my High School auto-shop days if I saw this question on a test I would say it was a bad valve guide. Oil is somehow seeping into the combustion chamber during the off cycle.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It looks normal. It happened to me often. It happened to our Porsche w/ flat engine previously. It's only significant if it smokes longer or continuously.

This issue is potentially associated with the PCV valve or oil residue seeped passed the ringland.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

The rotors aren't warped. Ask for the pads to be replaced with the rotors being turned, and you will be fine. The pads were redesigned. When they check for the part number, they will see the originals it supersedes (for the front - rear pads are the same and are not an issue).

I am running the same rotors, and new pads, and no longer have the vibration. But, the pad glazing needs to be removed from the rotors by "turning" them (aka "resurfacing" aka grinding off a thin layer). I'm 6,500 miles on my new pads, and 58,000 miles on my original rotors, including towing through the mountains, and my brakes have never been better.

At the 22,000 mile mark, I had the same problem as you. Grinding off the pad glazing and re-installing the same pads made mine quiet again for a while. Then, they got a little worse, but not as pad as originally. Then, at 52,000 miles, the pads were at their wear limit, so, I had them replaced with the new part number. Super quiet, super smooth.

Sorry I didn't see your posts earlier. Been very busy, and just catching up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue, in January they said they can’t replicate and I should try capture it in a video. A month ago I brought it to the service again and I had 8 good videos from my home surveillance cameras. It stayed a month in the service and they ended replacing the entire engine....
I will reach out to Subaru to get extended warranty, I am so nervous with such a major work. My service paper was 4 pages long with all kind of parts and pieces. It rides good for now, we will see I guess..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts