Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are 'thisclose' to pulling the trigger and buying our Ascent and then a 'car guy' friend told us this. I'm assuming it's not true but figured I'd ask, and hope that somebody here has some knowledge to dispel that.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
To confirm the answer above, no it is not typical. Turbochargers have a failure rate, just like any other component on a vehicle, but the average failure is no where near 30-50k miles.

Statistically this doesn't matter much, but just to give my personal experience - I have a 2014 Forester XT (similar engine / turbocharger to the Ascent) with over 106k miles with the stock turbocharger. I also have a 2005 WRX with over 145k miles on the stock (much older technology) turbocharger, which is not uncommon.

If turbochargers typically failed around 30-50k miles consistently, turbo diesel semi trucks would be (more) woefully expensive and needing turbo repairs monthly.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,088 Posts
There are unfortunately a lot of "anti-turbo" folks floating around out there..."could" it fail? Yup, just like any other piece of complex technology. Do they "tend" to fail? Nope.

Reactions: DonB and TSiWRX

·
Registered
480 Posts
To echo what others have said, turbos should not have to be rebuilt that quickly. I'm roughly at 140k on my 2002 WRX and the stock turbo is still going strong knock on wood.

Have some fun with your friend and ask if he's refilled the blinker fluid yet. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not Subaru, but I have 80K on TWIN-Turbo EcoBoost Ford Flex. No problem with either of the Turbos. There are many EcoBoost V-6 Twin-Turbos with 150K+ without turbo issue.

I do believe that there could be some long term benefits to adding an Oil Catch Can to most turbo charged motors. From my basic understanding,this can help minimize the carbon build up in the turbos. However, it is one more thing to maintain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not Subaru, but I have 80K on TWIN-Turbo EcoBoost Ford Flex. No problem with either of the Turbos. There are many EcoBoost V-6 Twin-Turbos with 150K+ without turbo issue.

I do believe that there could be some long term benefits to adding an Oil Catch Can to most turbo charged motors. From my basic understanding,this can help minimize the carbon build up in the turbos. However, it is one more thing to maintain.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Decades ago I would be concerned about the longevity of a turbo over 100k+ miles. In the modern day and age, with the cooling and lubrication systems the turbo engines have, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In addition to my Ascent, I've had Mercedes, Ford, Saab, and Volvo turbos and they were no less reliable than any of the cars I had with normally aspirated engines.

·
Registered
205 Posts
150-200k can be expected for a turbo. Now if you start giving it non synthetic only than yea, 50k miles is about right. They are very moody if you dont give them clean oil and the right type. Thats usually what will kill them

·
Registered
38 Posts
Turbos of yester-year gave a bad impression on the technology. Here in America, we tend to think they are not reliable. I think in part, yes the quality used to suck BUT maybe even more so, it wasn't American to have a small displacement turbo engine. Some social type of programming we were subjected to. (When I was a kid I swore I'd never drive a Subaru because it wasn't American. Now I'm on my 3rd).
Keep in mind, while main stream turbo'd vehicles are only now become the norm in the USA, most of Europe has always had turbo diesel engines.

Bosch makes a lot of the turbos for many manufacturers. They are designed to strick tolerances, and with the use of twin scroll technology, they are more resilient.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I am at 44,070 miles, many thousands of which have been off-roading, and hundreds of which have been towing a trailer the weight of an Ascent Premium.

My turbo is doing quite fine, as tackling this steep, rutted, rocky hill proves...

Regular maintenance, including the correct oil changed at the correct frequency, is key.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first turbo was a 1982 Saab 900 Turbo. Never a problem with it and I had added an intercooler (early turbos didn't have them), pumped the boost to a bit over 1 bar, and that turbo still had conventional bearings, not air bearings like they do now. New turbochargers have decades of design enhancements and will probably last the life of the engine. I also designed aircraft environmental control systems (ECSs). They have turbine/compressor combinations very similar in size to cars, but are running at temperatures coming out of the 11th stage of an aircraft engine. A lot of car turbos were and are still built by Garrett, the same company that made aircraft ECSs (I worked for a competitor).

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
A lot of car turbos were and are still built by Garrett, the same company that made aircraft ECSs (I worked for a competitor).
I'm pretty sure our tubocharger is an MGT22 series manufactured by either Honeywell or Garrett (I think the supplier differs based on the manufacture date).

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I'm pretty sure our tubocharger is an MGT22 series manufactured by either Honeywell or Garrett (I think the supplier differs based on the manufacture date).
Yes, our turbocharger is the MGT22. Mine was built by Honeywell. All new ones are built by Garrett. It's the same people making them, regardless. Honeywell bought Garrett, and then, after a bunch of the Ascents were built, spun them back out again as their own company. So, they're all the same Garrett turbocharger, built in the same place, just with a different stamping on the casting of the snail.

The MGT22 has been around in luxury applications (and what's apparently touted as the reliable versions of Ford's EcoBoost series) for many years, to great success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts