Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am thinking of test driving one of these, but wanted to see first what some others have to say. I am both tall and fat, so I am always struggling to get comfortable in the drivers seat. From what I've read on some different vehicle websites it seems that the number measurements for leg, head, and shoulder room on the Ascent are at least equal to or greater than some other suvs.

But I am really hoping that maybe someone out there that can identify with my large body type could chime in with their comfort experiences while driving this car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I’m 6’4”, 270, every car I run the seat all the way down and all the way back. This is one of very few where that isn’t always the case. Very generous. Try one out. A pickup will give you more room if you need it.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hello everyone! I am thinking of test driving one of these, but wanted to see first what some others have to say. I am both tall and fat, so I am always struggling to get comfortable in the drivers seat. From what I've read on some different vehicle websites it seems that the number measurements for leg, head, and shoulder room on the Ascent are at least equal to or greater than some other suvs.

But I am really hoping that maybe someone out there that can identify with my large body type could chime in with their comfort experiences while driving this car.
I'm 6'5, 240 so I'm definitely slender, but I have a lot of room especially compared to the Tacoma I had before.

Well, I’m 6’4”, 270, every car I run the seat all the way down and all the way back. This is one of very few where that isn’t always the case. Very generous. Try one out. A pickup will give you more room if you need it.
I'm curious how your ergonomics are though as I've been struggling with mine. I tried the seat all the way down and back, but found the steering wheel didn't come out far enough. I also am a little frustrated that the center console height isn't adjustable. Just curious what you've been doing since we are similarly sized.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As for the reach to the steering wheel, it did seem at first that the wheel didn’t come back far enough. I have been trying different positions with the seat back angle and how far back I have the seat. Basically, I am finding that I have the room to challenge how I have always set a seat. Kind of nice to have choices. I feel the Ascent has already “spoiled” me. I used to think my wife’s Outback was roomy, but now 1800 miles into the Ascent, I much prefer the Ascent.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
As for the reach to the steering wheel, it did seem at first that the wheel didn’t come back far enough. I have been trying different positions with the seat back angle and how far back I have the seat. Basically, I am finding that I have the room to challenge how I have always set a seat. Kind of nice to have choices. I feel the Ascent has already “spoiled” me. I used to think my wife’s Outback was roomy, but now 1800 miles into the Ascent, I much prefer the Ascent.
Thanks!

awesome amount of room for larger fellows! tons of adjustability too!
Also curious on your thoughts/ergonomics on the post up above :)

·
Registered
225 Posts

I'm 6'4" 260 with no butt as my wife says and I find that the sides of the seats are a bit narrow since that is where most of my weight resides. I have yet to find a comfortable place for my left leg. It is no pickup seat, but it is better that the majority of SUVs I sat in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies. 375lbs, 6'5" here. Went to drive one today.....wow! Lots of room!
Overall a very comfortable and responsive vehicle.

I was way more comfortable in it than a Highlander, MDX, or the new RDX.

When my current lease is up I will def. be taking a hard look at the Ascent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am not super tall, but I have really short legs, so I have the top half of a tall person on the lower half of a small person. Yes it looks funny. Every vehicle I get into I check first how close to hitting the ceiling my head is. Every vehicle I drive I put the seat all the way down. Unfortunately I cannot just tilt it back or I won't be able to reach the steering wheel (my arms are not as short as my legs, but they are not as long as I think they should be for the top half of me).

Anyway, my Honda Odyssey and the Subaru Ascent are both okay for me. The Ascent doubly-so.

(Sorry I cannot help for leg-room and large waist-size considerations)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.