Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stolen car, a black 2019 Subaru, allegedly vaulted railroad tracks outside Wauneta in what Elliott described as a “Dukes of Hazard” move. The damage resulting from the leap, in addition to that sustained in the collision with the Phillips County cars, eventually led to the stolen car’s expiration.
16-Year-Old Driver Wrecks 3 Police Cars In Phillips County

A little early into the social distancing lockdown.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
LOL

He did it wrong.
If you are ever in the Long Island area, I won't be able to decide whether I should hide the keys or grab the cameras. 😂

·
Registered
717 Posts
Back in the 80's when I was 17, I drove my mom's 1982 Buick Skyhawk. Despite having a staggeringly powerful 120hp 4 cylinder engine, it was well balanced. On AirHill Rd it would fly through the air with the greatest of ease!

Fast forward and the car is in the shop and we have a vette as a temporary car until the SkyHawk is fixed. (Chevette to be clear). I quickly realized (while flying through the air) that it was nowhere near as balanced as the SkyHawk was. I was quickly up in the air sideways, with a front wheel hitting way before the other. I did keep the car on the road barely and decided never to jump the vette again! :p

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I’ve managed to intentionally get 5 different vehicles airborne back in the day (that I can think of.)
I got a big E350 Supervan Double Extended airborne once. It used to be a county bus (hence extended back, and extended upwards with a fiberglass cap and steel ribs so 10 standees and 14 sitting passengers could stand in it. I converted it into a travel van/mini RV. It came in at around 7,000 pounds empty, and had a GVWR of 11,990 pounds. It had to go through two recertification processes (which is how I learned about how that works). One to make it a commercial passenger bus with a different GVWR and curb weight, and a new additional weights plaque next to the "as built" plaque, and one more to recertify it as a general passenger vehicle (as opposed to as a bus). The second weights ratings all stayed the same - just the class was changed to Passenger non commercial.

I hit the ceiling (lightly), even with the seat belt on. The van slammed back onto the road, bounced, very similar to how it does on the A-Team, and I kept on going.

I think I was lucky that I had the beefiest E series van, and the massive tires it required for the new weight rating (and I went a little overboard and over-rated the tires).

I've jumped smaller vehicles, including my former motorcycle - I don't think I will jump anything that big ever again unless it's designed for it, lol!

·
Registered
651 Posts
^^ Nice! Most (not all) of my shenanigans were late teens-mids-20s. I took my Dad’s VW Vanagon out with friends. After topping it out on the highway (93mph indicated is all she had) I hit this infamous massive dip in town and managed to slam all of us against the ceiling in mid-air flight and slam everybody onto the floor during landing. I was and am still amazed I didn’t break anything (that I know of) by doing that. The whole thing bounced (all four wheels off the ground) again once we landed. I think if there would’ve been too much yaw it would‘ve had a very different ending, but it seemed to hit all 4 tires at the same time.
Many other stories including taking my 4 month old ‘98 Impreza 2.5RS (Blue/Gold) onto a dirt bike track and launching it off some jumps. Crazy dumb, crazy lucky. Too many rally videos!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts