Subaru Ascent Forum banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, those dragonflies aren't going to help anything, much less the beauty contest... A fin comb from Harbor Freight might help, but use a light touch!

I'll be right here when you are ready for the screens.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
Folks...just discovered this thread...so what I understand is two screens- one for the intercooler and one for the lower grille (to protect ac condensor). Is there one for the upper grille as well that I might have missed?

How difficult has it been to install these (I am not too savvy mechanically as you can tell :)). Also any concerns that this might void warranty down the road ? In any case, I will PM Scarlett, I do understand the benefits of the screens though and think its a great idea!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi vitenite

There are only 2 screens at this time, the IntercoolerScreen, and the AscentScreen for the lower grill. I do have an upper grill screen on my to do list, but there are other priorities right now, so it will be a bit before that rises to the top. I have not heard of an AC condenser or radiator puncture through the upper grill, so that is a lesser concern anyways.

The IntercoolerScreen slides into place and is held there by the snug fit. The AscentScreen is cut to fit the shape of the lower grill and is held there by several plastic ties that are supplied with it. Complete instructions are also supplied with both.

I have never heard of any warranty issue with any of my screens, so I do not believe it would be a problem. The screens are also easy to remove before taking the car in for service, if you choose. Beyond that you would need to check with Subaru for their interpretation of this question.

Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi vitenite

There are only 2 screens at this time, the IntercoolerScreen, and the AscentScreen for the lower grill. I do have an upper grill screen on my to do list, but there are other priorities right now, so it will be a bit before that rises to the top. I have not heard of an AC condenser or radiator puncture through the upper grill, so that is a lesser concern anyways.

The IntercoolerScreen slides into place and is held there by the snug fit. The AscentScreen is cut to fit the shape of the lower grill and is held there by several plastic ties that are supplied with it. Complete instructions are also supplied with both.

I have never heard of any warranty issue with any of my screens, so I do not believe it would be a problem. The screens are also easy to remove before taking the car in for service, if you choose. Beyond that you would need to check with Subaru for their interpretation of this question.

Steve
I just would like to put in a good word for Steve (Scarlett is his username on ascentforums) at VoltShop. I purchased an AcentScreent from him to protect my AC compressor and it fits great and was easy to install. I e-mailed Steve two days ago that I wanted to also purchase the intercooler screen and I would be mailing him a check, I received the intercooler screen today -- Steve shipped the screen before he even received my check in the mail. That is incredible service and it is refreshing to work with someone trusting enough to ship his product even while waiting for his payment. Kudos to Steve! P.S. I quickly installed the intercooler screen and I now have the security of knowing there is some protection for the cooling fins in my Ascent's intercooler.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Nice post. Agreed Steve is awesome. Waiting for the front grille screen now And everything will be protected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just would like to put in a good word for Steve (Scarlett is his username on ascentforums) at VoltShop. I purchased an AcentScreent from him to protect my AC compressor and it fits great and was easy to install. I e-mailed Steve two days ago that I wanted to also purchase the intercooler screen and I would be mailing him a check, I received the intercooler screen today -- Steve shipped the screen before he even received my check in the mail. That is incredible service and it is refreshing to work with someone trusting enough to ship his product even while waiting for his payment. Kudos to Steve! P.S. I quickly installed the intercooler screen and I now have the security of knowing there is some protection for the cooling fins in my Ascent's intercooler.
Steve (or Scarlett at VoltShop) is awesome. I sent payment via Venmo and the shipping across the whole US was unbelievably quick. What great customer service, and what quality workmanship. Highly, highly recommended. Arrived just in time to be installed for my 4,000 mile work trip next week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Well I finally got a chance to install both the Ascent lower grille screen and the intercooler screen both made by Steve at Voltshop. I am impressed! I will show you a picture of my home made intercooler screen along with Steve's Screen along with the lower grille screen. My screen is very light and somewhat flimsy. I ordered the woven intercooler screen. Wow Steve uses heavy mesh! The edging was also very nice in black and the little bolt he sent works great to remove the screen for cooling. Instructions were spot on and very simple, about 5 minutes and that's allowing lots of time. Just make sure you blow the bugs out of yours and clean it well before you install the new screen. The lower grille screen was made with very heavy welded black wire screen and black rubber edging. It fits very well and actually makes the lower grille look better in my opinion. It almost gives the look of the intercooler being low on the grille with a nice blacked out look. Again instructions were spot on, super easy to install and best of all pops off for easy cleaning. You don't need to be mechanically inclined in the slightest to install either of these screens and best of all they will pay for themselves over and over! This is why I built one myself because I knew how much these two items would protect my car and keep me from a costly repair down the road. I will post the pics and if anyone has any questions just ask! Thanks Steve for a very nice product! hoping you will be making us an upper grille screen in the future! Nick

·
Registered
99 Posts
I' glad to hear you all like your AscentStuff! And thank you for your kind words as well. When I started this whole thing over 6 years ago, I swore I would do it right or not do it. It is very rewarding to hear that folks value not only what I make, but how I do things. Maybe a little old fashioned in some ways, but it works. And as I've said before, I enjoy making a lot of new friends out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Well thank you so much Steve for doing what you do for our cars. I can't wait to see what your next invention is for our cars

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I'm all ears for what you would like. I'll suggest that you check out the Volt website for ideas. I can do trunk mats and floor mats If anyone is interested. I haven't looked at how to do a cell phone holder for an Ascent, but I could if there is interest in that as well.

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
My big one now is the upper grille screen attached from behind? If that is possible?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is coming. It won't be right away, but it it coming. In the mean time, console your self with the basic laws of physics. The big rocks are the killers. (Law of inertia) and the big rocks fly around down lower (Law of gravity).

HTH!

Steve

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Finally ordered an intercooler and lower grille cover last night.
Stephen didn’t disappoint with speedy shipping and communication even with the bar set as high as everyone here suggested.

I wanted to point out that even though I previously stated I’m not a huge fan of the lower grille cover outside the bumper, I still ordered it for peace of mind. Looking at the rock chips in my hood it’s only a matter of time until I would regret not having the lower cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received my IntercoolerScreen from Scarlett today. Super fast shipping. The screen is very sturdy, looks great, and was very easy to install. Thanks Scarlett!

161 - 180 of 214 Posts