Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The kit has been updated again to L101SXC004, which I installed last night. It went decently smoothly and took me 3 hours to do by myself. I love the factory fit and finish and how it bolts up to the car so nicely. The hitch is super beefy and heavy. Lots of people mentioned the wire clips on the bumper but I found that after I removed the original bumper brace, I could easily reach in from the back side with needle nose pliers and unclip the clips. Didn't slow me down at all.

The manual has numerous typos though and my kit seemed to be missing Cover Panel M, which is also called Cover Panel K.

I sent a note to subaruparts.com asking about it and I'll post what they say. The cover doesn't appear to be structural so I'm just going to go ahead without it. My mom passed away a short time ago and I need to move a bunch of her stuff this weekend. Is it possible that the 004 version of the kt maybe doesn't include it anymore?

I want to give special thanks to Robert Mauro for giving me some urgently needed technical support about hitch ball types and heights. I ended up getting an adjustable one since I'll be towing a variety of rental equipment.

The rubber mat from the trunk makes a good parts and tools organizer!

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
So sorry for your loss, and glad I could provide a little help. You know how to reach me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Subaru Parts wrote back about the missing covers. They were deleted from the 003 and 004 versions of the kit. They said they will send me the updated instruction sheet which I can post for people getting the new kit if that's OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The kit has been updated again to L101SXC004, which I installed last night. It went decently smoothly and took me 3 hours to do by myself. I love the factory fit and finish and how it bolts up to the car so nicely. The hitch is super beefy and heavy. Lots of people mentioned the wire clips on the bumper but I found that after I removed the original bumper brace, I could easily reach in from the back side with needle nose pliers and unclip the clips. Didn't slow me down at all.

The manual has numerous typos though and my kit seemed to be missing Cover Panel M, which is also called Cover Panel K.

View attachment 1310

I sent a note to subaruparts.com asking about it and I'll post what they say. The cover doesn't appear to be structural so I'm just going to go ahead without it. My mom passed away a short time ago and I need to move a bunch of her stuff this weekend. Is it possible that the 004 version of the kt maybe doesn't include it anymore?

I want to give special thanks to Robert Mauro for giving me some urgently needed technical support about hitch ball types and heights. I ended up getting an adjustable one since I'll be towing a variety of rental equipment.

View attachment 1311

View attachment 1312

View attachment 1313

The rubber mat from the trunk makes a good parts and tools organizer!
I did the install of the OEM Hitch this weekend and I timed it from bumper off to bumper back on and it took me 2 hrs and 41 mins (I'm an engineer... sorry). It really was much easier than I thought it would be. The instructions still have a mistake: (1) it calls for a 14mm deep well socket, but I never used it (hope I didn't miss something!) and (2) on page 7, step 3-(4) it says to "retain (4) of the bolts for installation of cover panel" - which must be related to the deletion of cover panel K. I suppose if I ever decide to re-install the bumper beam (not sure why I would), I guess I would need those 4 bolts. Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't too difficult and that I didn't break any of the pop clips! It gives me more confidence for tackling future DIY projects on our Ascent. I think I studied this forum extensively for tips on the installation and am very grateful for everyone who shared their tips!

Now we just need to purchase our travel trailer....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can recommend purchase of the 2020 Ascent trailer hitch kit from Heuberger Subaru for 20% discount for latest version part number L101SXC003 (-this kit # replaces L101SXC004).
I just purchased this hitch kit on internet from Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs for $288.90 plus $39.99 shipping (it is a big heavy box!)--Total $328.89. --Delivery in 2 days!
Their website for ordering: parts.bestbuysubaru.com or one can direct dial parts department at 719-475-1956

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those of you installing the latest version of the hitch, what are you using for touch up paint on the bare metal areas around the bolts (page 7 of the instructions)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
For those of you installing the latest version of the hitch, what are you using for touch up paint on the bare metal areas around the bolts (page 7 of the instructions)?
I had some self etching gray primer spray paint. Use whatever you have laying around. The paint isn't pretty under there either so you don't have to be neat about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I installed the Draw Tite Part Number: 149140-03308828 750lb TW and has the standard 5K lbs pull weight. Super easy and happy for the $149 price from parts geek.com incase anyone else is interested.

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
I installed the Draw Tite Part Number: 149140-03308828 750lb TW and has the standard 5K lbs pull weight. Super easy and happy for the $149 price from parts geek.com incase anyone else is interested.
Super easy but not really much easier than the OEM one. Also, it's not crash tested, does not integrate into the car's frame rails, and does not come with the 4 pin or 7 pin harness, but, a nice option for a bike rack or spare tire carrier.

Tongue weight is 500 pounds, and Drawtite should be ashamed at themselves for pretending otherwise. The real tongue weight is buried in a txt description that was on page 2 of their original quick install manual, which states that the tongue weight is actually the Ascent's rated 500 pounds, and not the number they claim.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks @Robert.Mauro. I wish I would have checked that out more first, hopefully isn't much worse since I do plan on towing....and it's already on, otherwise I would have gone with OEM.
Thoughts on if this is really sub standard and if I should start over?....lesson learned on my end. When I bought the car we finally closed the deal at 11pm and I got everything else needed and somehow forgot about getting the tow package thrown in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a good deal.
I'm with you Rubin. When you are buying a 45K vehicle I would think spending a couple of hundred $ for a hitch install would not be worth my time or trouble.
We paid for it when we bought the Ascent it was $382 installed. I didn't feel like removing the rear bumper on this car, I did the install on my legacy, but I was nervous a heck with that as well. The factory warranty extending to the hitch was also a nice addition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got the tow hitch installed by the dealer, wgen i picked up my car, there is s set of wire on tge passenger seat, do u know what is it for?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had some self etching gray primer spray paint. Use whatever you have laying around. The paint isn't pretty under there either so you don't have to be neat about it.
Do you think this is necessary? I cant imagine a dealer touching up these areas with paint. I plan to install this at some point but didnt realize this was part of the directions.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,300 Posts
i got the tow hitch installed by the dealer, wgen i picked up my car, there is s set of wire on tge passenger seat, do u know what is it for?
Probably the brake controller pigtail so you can adapt your choice of brake controller to the vehicle plug for it in the driver's side footwell.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you think this is necessary? I cant imagine a dealer touching up these areas with paint. I plan to install this at some point but didnt realize this was part of the directions.
It's in the directions and is a best practice not to leave any untreated metal. It's very quick and easy to apply a little paint. It's your car though. You do you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the original fascia go over the hitch when the ball is removed?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts