Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... I just received my accessory hitch from the Subaru dealer. It has many parts and pieces. FYI, I paid about $409 out the door including taxes. I will be attempting to tackle the installation myself this weekend.

I found these official Subaru install guide online here: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/TR8 tow hitch - installation instructions - DRAFT - 01242018.pdf

I'd thought I'd share the guide if anyone needs. Has anyone else installed their factory hitch kit yet? Any tips?

I will update this thread with my progress.. I hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hardest part is pulling the rear bumper off and that's not even that bad. Let us know how it goes and what problems you ran into.

What was the part# on your hitch as there are several variants.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
I’m looking forward to seeing your results. I’ll do it myself to save $300 for sure!

·
Registered
73 Posts
For something as important as this, I'd recommend, if you don't have one already, you run down to Harbor Freight and get yourself a cheap torque wrench 1/2" torque wrench or their 1/2" digital adapter. They are surprisingly accurate for the money. I've tested a few on NIST certified torque transducers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I was finally able to install the hitch assembly today.... Pretty easy, the directions are pretty much spot on and easy to follow. It took me about 2.5 hours but that was with taking my time, taking breaks, rocking out to Boston and Kenny Way Shepard on my garage stereo, and keeping my 3 year old from walking away with my bolts.

Only notes I had was the 6 clips referenced in step 2.5 are actually under the vehicle, not on the side as the diagram would suggest. Also, the instructions don't say anything about this but if you have the factory splash guards, they must be removed prior to pulling the bumper cover off (one clip in the bottom and 2 bolts in the wheel well). Other than that, just pay close attention to the wiring harness routing and you'll be golden.

A side not, I am very impressed by the quality, fit (which is literally PERFECT), and completeness of the Subaru hitch assembly. There are starting to be some other options available that may be a bit cheaper but I think the Subaru hitch is well worth the few extra dollars. So far, very happy overall. I just hope actually towing something is as enjoyable and satisfying as buying and installing the hitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished installing l101sxc002 that arrived earlier this week. Install took about 2 hours. Instructions were good. A short drive leads me to believe ascent can pull 20' boat on dual axle trailer just fine. <3500# total load.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Found the hitch wiring plug nestled along the rear of the trunk / bumper area just as described in the instructions.

Question - does anyone have a pin out map for the hitch wiring plug pictured? I.E. what wire is for what function? If so, can you please post it up? Pretty please?

Also slightly different question (but related) - anyone have a part number for the matching other half to this plug (i.e. if this is the male half, what’s the corresponding female half plug part number?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
-C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also slightly different question (but related) - anyone have a part number for the matching other half to this plug (i.e. if this is the male half, what’s the corresponding female half plug part number?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
-C

I think you can order just the wiring harness. Check with your Subie dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
I just ordered the 000 hitch from eBay. Looking forward to installing it next week sometime. Thanks for the advice here and I'll hopefully have some pics of the process as well

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
For something as important as this, I'd recommend, if you don't have one already, you run down to Harbor Freight and get yourself a cheap torque wrench 1/2" torque wrench or their 1/2" digital adapter. They are surprisingly accurate for the money. I've tested a few on NIST certified torque transducers.
$9.99 on sale for a 250# torque wrench. Nice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of those pics don't open for me for some reason. Anyway, I did the job yesterday, and it took me about 5 hours, but I'm kinda slow and methodical. Also, I broke the clips where the bumper fascia attaches to the wheel well. If I did this job again, I'd break them again because I don't understand how not to. I almost broke the clips for the RAB and antenna too. The instructions say "don't break", but give you zero clues on how to get them out. Sticking a very skinny screw driver blade in there to depress the plastic arms holding the clips in helped, but basically they are not designed to be removed, so good luck.

Another issue I had was the hitch cable was just barely long enough to reach around and into the car to have the gasket in place. I recommend getting that cable and gasket in place first, then placing the zip tie mounts because you might need every millimeter you can get out of that cable.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For anyone interested in adding this option, it cost me all of $378 and 2.5 hrs to install.
As previously stated, the instructions in post #1 are fairly well written. Below are some pics and a few lessons learned on the way. Good luck
That's worth it @ $49/hr saving.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We paid for it when we bought the Ascent it was $382 installed. I didn't feel like removing the rear bumper on this car, I did the install on my legacy, but I was nervous a heck with that as well. The factory warranty extending to the hitch was also a nice addition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We paid for it when we bought the Ascent it was $382 installed. I didn't feel like removing the rear bumper on this car, I did the install on my legacy, but I was nervous a heck with that as well. The factory warranty extending to the hitch was also a nice addition.
That is a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
+1 for the digital torque adapter from HF. I used that all the time when I did work on my Outback. It's really easy to overtorque things, like brake calipers etc., which leads to more problems down the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just completed this install. The comments here really helped, particularly this one:

I almost broke the clips for the RAB and antenna too. The instructions say "don't break", but give you zero clues on how to get them out. Sticking a very skinny screw driver blade in there to depress the plastic arms holding the clips in helped, but basically they are not designed to be removed, so good luck.
If I hadn't seen that I would have broken the clips trying to get them out. The trick for me was to remove the bumper beam first, flip it over, then reach under it and depress the clip springs with a pair of needle nose pliers. Hope that helps someone.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts