Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Installing a partial section of Paint Protection Film to the front of the hood is one of the easiest sections to do yourself. You can do this with very inexpensive PPF purchased in bulk from Amazon. Or you can get free samples from PPF manufacturers simply by emailing them. That's what I did and received enough to do the hood and much more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can anyone recommend a DIY precut clear bra for the hood? Possibly other areas as well.
Clearmask seems to be the least expensive..... I’ve used them many times..... order soon, they’re going to discontinue free shipping on orders over $75. I’ve used the 3M film. For first timers applying film - a couple of tips.... A table top near the vehicle helps a lot, spray everything with slip solution (baby shampoo works best) frequently, including pieces, surfaces,hands and fingers, use microfiber cloth (included in kits) to super clean surfaces)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got most of mine installed this weekend. It is a lengthy process. Make sure you have time and some help. Watch youtube videos. I got the kit from north.tints on ebay. Also wrapped the grille trim satin black.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just finished my second PPF install, on a Tesla Model 3 in 95 degree weather in the shade

Some tips

1. Wash, clay, and wash again. Dry with squeegee. Any dust underneath will be locked in forever
  2. Having another person is helpful, mandatory on bumper sections (at least in the begging when you peel it off the backing
  3. Start with the easy parts to get a feel for the pulling/tugging and stretching. The door cups, A pillar were pretty easy.
  4. Headlights are challenging, because of the raised section for the LEDs and the lower section right before it
  5. If you stretch too much or end up with ripples push it out to the edge so you can trim
  6. Most install challenges were solved with a firm hand pushing down and using fingers to spread/stretch
  7. Squeegee with firm pressure even if you don't see soap solution. Trust me its there.
  8. Work inside a closed garage in mild temps if possible. The heat will dry out the soap solution, and being outdoors will introduce dust that's visible under white. Ideal temps 70-80s
  9. Takes approx 1 gallon of soap solution to do a full front end for me. Can probably get by with less, but it was warm and the soap dried fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did mine outside and dust/dirt was an issue. When I did the hood section it was windy and made things difficult. Also used heat when I needed areas to tack up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It sounds very similar to how you install window film. I installed a ton of that stuff in our fifth wheel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did mine outside and dust/dirt was an issue. When I did the hood section it was windy and made things difficult. Also used heat when I needed areas to tack up.
Yeah, heat definitely helps to tack down film in contours and valleys I just got a kit to put on a new outback. This will be the 6th family vehicle I’ve wrapped. I’m adding Nano ceramic window application on front windows for further UV protection. The windows are easy flat surfaces, doing the bumper and headlights requires a lot of patience for first timers. The trick is lots of slip solution on everything including hands and fingers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts