Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Touring. Proactively at almost 2 years I replaced the oem battery with a Sam's Club duracell agm. It's smaller, height wise, by about 1.5". In the parking lot at Sam's, I just pushed the negative lead down on the terminal and went on my way. 3 Months later I'm driving on the interstate in traffic & I get the "christmas tree" light show & the nav screen goes blank, 5 seconds later all normal. One minute passes & light show, etc. etc, etc, till I get home. I shut down the the car & try to restart, nothing. I open the hood to find the negative lead, just laying on the post. Upon examination I realized that when I forced the negative connector on I bent it and it finally worked loose. The fix was simple. I put a spacer under the battery and bent the connector back & all OK.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Glad that ended well!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought I was the only one who did this. 3 cars 3 batteries every 2 years. You probably ask why, cus the fact is after that your battery starts degrading rapidly and cells can go anytime after that. I have had 3 interstates go bad within 25 months.Yes there under warranty but thats not good cus you have to go back and they don't do installs anymore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought I was the only one who did this. 3 cars 3 batteries every 2 years. You probably ask why, cus the fact is after that your battery starts degrading rapidly and cells can go anytime after that. I have had 3 interstates go bad within 25 months.Yes there under warranty but thats not good cus you have to go back and they don't do installs anymore.
Thats why I went with a AAA battery, they come to you to fix the issue and if its in 3 years, free battery. Thats on my Outback, I'll do the same when the battery dies on the Ascent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats why I went with a AAA battery, they come to you to fix the issue and if its in 3 years, free battery. Thats on my Outback, I'll do the same when the battery dies on the Ascent.
You have a battery from AAA. That come to you battery on the internet is 227dollars and they guarantee to be at your vehicle in one hour or less. Same guarantee as yours. Lots of lights in the interior on the Ascent when you open that door.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I've got nothing more to contribute.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here in AZ I just change my battery every 2 years. The summer heat just beats the hell outta them, so I'd rather pay for a new battery than have it not start.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
31 Posts
Here in AZ I just change my battery every 2 years. The summer heat just beats the hell outta them, so I'd rather pay for a new battery than have it not start.
I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars but my thought was there extreme child shortened battery life more than the heat would but not so. We handed down our 2014 Forester to our son who lives in Tampa FL. The battery was two years old, I replaced the OEM battery with a larger group 27 Interstate battery about two years before handing down the Forester. Within a year of our son getting it, the battery needed replacement.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars but my thought was there extreme child shortened battery life more than the heat would but not so. We handed down our 2014 Forester to our son who lives in Tampa FL. The battery was two years old, I replaced the OEM battery with a larger group 27 Interstate battery about two years before handing down the Forester. Within a year of our son getting it, the battery needed replacement.
The extreme cold reduces the power available out of the battery which is why cold cranking amps is a battery stat. When it warms back up, the battery is still okay.

The heat destroys the battery itself. We have "southern batteries" which don't have a 5 year warranty like those of you up north. I think 2-3 years is the max down here in Phoenix!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the battery thing every two years with my Ranger and Explorer living down in Phoenix. I would get one so so crank, it would start and then died on the next crank. That happened to me one time and I learned. When I left Phoenix to move to Arkansas, I had replaced my battery with a Heat Beater battery. Those batteries do not have lead plates in them. Of course I sold the Explorer in Arkansas and moved back to AZ. I got five years out of the PT Cruizer original battery. The Edge battery lasted a long time, living north of Prescott. But I know the sound of the battery is dying and you'd better get it changed post haste.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find that they only last 2-3 years here. I just replaced one on my motorcycle after 5.5 years, but I use a battery tender.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts