Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from the dealership today, listening to XM. They'd check the system firmware for updates and said there were none for my 2021 Ascent. I'd turned the car on with my Android phone attached. I did not press the I Agree button.

As I pulled out of the lot, the display was on. I turned the corner towards a freeway entrance.

I looked down as I was entering the freeway and noticed that the head unit display was black. I pressed the Radio button, and the display remained black. I pressed the Home button and the display came back on, and no issues since.

Does the head unit display timeout or turn off in any circumstances?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For reference I just ran out to check to see if there were any system updates, and it says there are not. The current firmware is REL_UA.19.36.70

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Something like this happened to me after about 300 miles of ownership. Zero response from the head unit. The power button in for 10 seconds didn't even do the trick.

If you're in the same boat I was (absolutely nothing on the screen) my resolution was unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Literally disconnecting the battery.

Have not encountered this again.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I was driving home from the dealership today, listening to XM. They'd check the system firmware for updates and said there were none for my 2021 Ascent. I'd turned the car on with my Android phone attached. I did not press the I Agree button.

As I pulled out of the lot, the display was on. I turned the corner towards a freeway entrance.

I looked down as I was entering the freeway and noticed that the head unit display was black. I pressed the Radio button, and the display remained black. I pressed the Home button and the display came back on, and no issues since.

Does the head unit display timeout or turn off in any circumstances?
Android Auto will sometimes black out the screen if it hangs. Disconnecting and reconnecting the smartphone, or initiating something (via the phone) that changes the head unit display (such as trying to fire off an address via Google Maps) will sometimes resolve that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,233 Posts
Although I'm using the "alternative flavor" of integration (CarPlay), I find it's a good idea to not connect the device until the system has booted after a vehicle start.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thx for all the helpful information.

Usually, the car is started before I plug the phone in. I made a quick stop to pick up the dog from doggie daycare and left my phone in the car.

I had issues with a different car recently regarding the head unit that the manufacturer never was able to address. When the car got hot, which is frequently in Phoenix, the amp would shut down until it cooled off. While it was shut down, no audio could be selected including phone calls and turns by turn directions.

They said it was a firmware parameter, but they never fixed it. It had other MOST network issues, too, that were bizarre and a little scary when all the gauges (they were all digital) would disappear while driving; actually used Waze to tell my my speed on my phone. So I'm a little gun shy 😉

It wasn't a big deal, pressing the Ascent Home shortcut button brought it back.

I'll keep the rest of this in mind in case it happens again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts