Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1661 - 1679 of 1679 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
How long do you need to be a member of aspca to be eligible?
It was less than 24 hours for me. Start to finish...including getting the voucher. Subaru asked for a confirmation email of my CC ASPCA donation. I sent the confirmation to them and had a the voucher a few hours later. I did this on a Friday...on Monday morning, I called the delearship and he already had a copy of the voucher in front of him. I never had to go in at all.

· Registered
3 Posts
It was less than 24 hours for me. Start to finish...including getting the voucher. Subaru asked for a confirmation email of my CC ASPCA donation. I sent the confirmation to them and had a the voucher a few hours later. I did this on a Friday...on Monday morning, I called the delearship and he already had a copy of the voucher in front of him. I never had to go in at all.
Were you at invoice pricing?

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,299 Posts
My dealer accept vip program from ASPCA with only invoice, not the -2%, and required to finance to them. I don't see this finance requirement through dealer anywhere in the vip doc though.
The invoice minus 2% went away earlier in the year for both ASPCA and PHS.

Dealers who participate in the VIP program can and do put some of their own requirements on a deal in exchange for accepting the VIP letter. These can include things like only for factory orders and placing financing through them. (they get profit from placing financing)

· Registered
412 Posts
How long do you need to be a member of aspca to be eligible?
Immediate with a $500 donation. 6 months with less than that ($50 minimum).

I donated to PHS (2x $50) and just reserved my second vehicle from it. Not sure if I will continue with it once supply recovers (it has already started at my local dealer). Might be able to get a better deal on my own at that point.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,494 Posts
My dealer accept vip program from ASPCA with only invoice, not the -2%, and required to finance to them. I don't see this finance requirement through dealer anywhere in the vip doc though.
Vip pricing has nothing to do with financing. If you are tier 1 or 2 you qualify for subaru / chase buy down rate. You should go into dealership already knowing your auto credit score.

Determine the buy rate from any dealer financing.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
Vip pricing has nothing to do with financing.
True, unless as the poster 'freedom mentioned, the dealer is requiring financing through them to get the VIP price...and dealers are within their rights to make those kind of demands. Unfortunately. I would personally go to a different dealer, but I live in an area with many choices and am also willing to travel a bit for pricing consideration.

· Registered
5,494 Posts
True, unless as the poster 'freedom mentioned, the dealer is requiring financing through them to get the VIP price...and dealers are within their rights to make those kind of demands. Unfortunately. I would personally go to a different dealer, but I live in an area with many choices and am also willing to travel a bit for pricing consideration.
I doubt very much the Subaru dealer can refuse to finance through Subaru Motors financing, and I doubt they can tack on points to the Subaru Motor financing rate.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
I doubt very much the Subaru dealer can refuse to finance through Subaru Motors financing, and I doubt they can tack on points to the Subaru Motor financing rate.
Don't underestimate what dealers can do when it comes to financing, at least for that first part. Only a portion of buyers qualify for the Subaru subsidized financing and there's plenty of anecdotal history out there of how creative the finance folks in dealerships can be with customers, including not being entirely honest about credit qualifications. Which is why I absolutely support your suggestion about customers knowing their credit scores and so forth before they walk through the door or click with their rodent. I actually have taken paper printouts of my credit score in years past to counter some of that dealer behavior and at least once caught them in a lie. (I usually have pre-approved financing from PenFed in-hand, too, which I can use if need be and the dealer can't meet or beat with their offer(s).

You are correct that they cannot manipulate the rate of the subsidized financing, AFAIK.

Reactions: packout

· Registered
412 Posts
It is frustrating, but the dealers actually have more power than most realize. Most states implemented some pretty strict laws for auto sales. It varies by states, but in some cases there is not a whole lot Subaru can do about bad dealer behavior. It is frustrating as I've no doubt some of those laws drive up the price we pay for our vehicles.

· Registered
5,494 Posts
Don't underestimate what dealers can do when it comes to financing, at least for that first part. Only a portion of buyers qualify for the Subaru subsidized financing and there's plenty of anecdotal history out there of how creative the finance folks in dealerships can be with customers, including not being entirely honest about credit qualifications. Which is why I absolutely support your suggestion about customers knowing their credit scores and so forth before they walk through the door or click with their rodent. I actually have taken paper printouts of my credit score in years past to counter some of that dealer behavior and at least once caught them in a lie. (I usually have pre-approved financing from PenFed in-hand, too, which I can use if need be and the dealer can't meet or beat with their offer(s).

You are correct that they cannot manipulate the rate of the subsidized financing, AFAIK.
I already know i am tier 1 for my 2023. For my trade i have the blackbook trade, private and retail values for my 2019 printed out.

Information is powerful and a great equalizer in the auto business.

· Registered
412 Posts
I already know i am tier 1 for my 2023. For my trade i have the blackbook trade, private and retail values for my 2019 printed out.

Information is powerful and a great equalizer in the auto business.
Is the blackbook trade in available somewhere online or do you need to have a special source? I would love to have that for my 2013 Highlander.

· Registered
5,494 Posts

Is the blackbook trade in available somewhere online or do you need to have a special source? I would love to have that for my 2013 Highlander.
3 month or annual membership gets you full access.

· Registered
5,494 Posts
I see people mentioning negotiating dealer/doc fees. How does one know what is reasonable? Is there a master list anywhere that shows dealer/doc fees by state?
some states regulate the maximum dealer fee allowed and many do not. I have previously extensively posted on this forum on this topic (including linked videos). Use the advanced search engine. Dealer fees are negotiable. Read on what it actually is supposed to cover and what these tasks typically cost a dealer. I paid zero dealer fees this year on two new Subarus. No additional costs other than required government taxes collected on my behalf. No required accessories to be bought, no nothing accept what I wanted on the vehicle.

1661 - 1679 of 1679 Posts