Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1641 - 1660 of 1679 Posts

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,479 Posts
yes You are right jim it was a flippant remark. No wait I looked it up and the definition says flippant remarks are made in response to a serious point. So not flippant. So I’ll stick with may be over served - I just learned that today. And posting in the future I will ignore everything they write and go on about my quest to attempt to replace the 2019 with a 2022, and gain insights and information relative to ascent ownership.
I apologize to all the members I may have offended by responding to the over served ( see I learned I didn’t call them an idiot). And I apologize for my actual flippant remark that the people who pay more than the price of items are idiots. I will change that to “economically challenged” in the future as in: “ hey did you get the milk? Yes was it on sale? Yes, but don’t worry I paid full price and gave them an extra $10.“ See- that is an economically challenged person- to me only of course.
h
One question I have Jim is why didn’t you post after I saw some posts in which people were talking about having Subaru or dealers or something insert something into body cavities. I thought that was very crude and should have been addressed.

But yes, this forum experience has helped me immeasurably and I appreciate the thoughtful input of many members, even, or especially, those that I disagree with. I appreciate the give and take, and learn almost all the time while on the forum.

For instance, I have learned that there is a growing number of people that are getting fed up with problems - to the point of getting rid of the ascent- and I think maybe a post addressed to Subaru- not the letter to Subaru- with a concerted effort on the part of members could address and streamline the problems people are having with Subaru, which falls squarely on Subaru, but may be, from what I read, also a lack of concern for their customers experience with their independently owned dealers. This would serve a better purpose than trying to constantly explain it away. Myself, I was able to identify my own problem, the dealer had no clue , and get it fixed with the help of the forum. It is exasperating to go through the hurdles to get there and Subaru needs to address this. I do not like almost 100 mile trips and tolls to have simple problems fixed. Why is it a simple suspension problem? Because Subaru should have notified OWNERS and provided an automatic recall if they decided on their own that parts were replaced, re-engineered, re- designed, and included in newer versions of the vehicle because they were found to be deficient, incorrect, poor quality for the task, or partially in my case - just don’t fit- figured that out by looking at it.

Along the way to getting the problem fixed, I had a dealer damage all four rims on the car, walk away from me when I complained, and finally I had to twice have Subaru intervene to fix the problem. If I’m looking for a 2022 after that, then I think I should have my own loyalty program. So you see it can be frustrating at times. It can also be frustrating when the overserved pick up their fully loaded automatic keyboards and just seem to want to be starting something.

I complain about the experience with the goal of getting others opinions, and experience, and yes it involves sorting through a lot of garbage because we are all human bags of opinions. I saw you once used the - what’s that big 8o’s word- may have been copacetic- so I’m sure you know the saying about opinions. But I Marshall on through these opinions and learn a lot of stuff.

I just saw the other person has disarmed their overserved keyboard. So I added this last line. Oh and happy new year.
Not all defects are safety related and therefore do not require recalls (either voluntary or NHTSA initiated). Manufactures have other avenues as well to address design corrections other than recalls that are not safety related (TSBs). Since the majority of dealership revenue comes from the service department, they are motivated to meet the needs of their customers. As in all industries, some do this better than others. It is up to the owner of the vehicle to monitor and navigate the service department of their choice. Sometimes it is better to change who is servicing the vehicle (it need NOT be a manufacturer dealership, other than for warranty work). For those who reside far from professional service options it can be frustrating.

· Banned
253 Posts
Not talking about any safety issues. I’m talking about keeping your customers by being honest and forthright. I’m talking about managing your dealers so the gross incompetence I’ve experienced can not occur to Subaru customers. No one on the forum with skin in the game wants to find out that after the warranty was gone, there was a new design available to fix the problem they have now. I’m talking about no gloss, no shine, no spin, and I see it more and more often, but just honesty. There are at least three customers on this forum that are not with Subaru anymore. One explained why and was ridiculed by a poster. The point is that for normal customers, you reach a point where another brand is a better idea and the car gets unloaded on someone else. I’m sure if there was not a car “ shortage” then this divorce would be more prevalent. These people got a good used price, but had to buy other brands at morph or more, but they were so fed up that they did it anyway. That is what Subaru needs to address with honesty, and openness. Like how happy would the poster who posted today that in 20 k miles she replaced brakes 4 times, be to get a call from Subaru saying we hear you and will make this right. That’s what all the people with theses problems want and deserve.

· Registered
25 Posts
Just took delivery of a brand new 2022 Ascent Touring for less than MSRP plus tax, title and registration, out the door. The tax, title and registration fees were by the Florida book so all in all it was a fair deal for both the buyer and the dealership. I also received a very competitive trade in for my 2018 Outback. My dealer was Don Mealey Sport Subaru in Orlando, Florida. I have purchased many, many new cars and this was, by far, the most enjoyable experience to date. The dealership and the folks working with me were incredible, courteous, great communicators, timely and did everything they said they would. Oh, I now have approximately 250 miles on my Ascent and I am really pleased with the purchase.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Unable to read without becoming a Wash Post subscriber.
You can view it either by logging in to your public library, or by using your privacy tab. Sometimes a vpn connection works. I will work in a couple of hours to at least paste a few important data points. I do remember Subaru retailers were charging one of the smallest amounts over msrp. Manufacturers are trying to hold retailers to msrp or lower. Some manufacturers are pressuring the retailers with allocation reductions. there was also a discussion of direct manufacturer sales.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,287 Posts
A lot of folks are really not happy in the Solterra forum because many dealers are now saying they intend to tack on "market adjustments". Folk have only done reservations at this point (refundable at least) and pricing will not be known until April/May. They can't change their designated dealer on those reservations so if they tagged a dealer that intends to do a "market adjustment" they either pay it or bail. I really hope that Subaru does find a way to help limit this thing, but it's difficult given dealers are independent businesses. If dealers were tacking on five hundred bucks or something, well...but many are doing thousands plus "non-optional" high profit, but nearly worthless add-ons. It's disappointing.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
A lot of folks are really not happy in the Solterra forum because many dealers are now saying they intend to tack on "market adjustments". Folk have only done reservations at this point (refundable at least) and pricing will not be known until April/May. They can't change their designated dealer on those reservations so if they tagged a dealer that intends to do a "market adjustment" they either pay it or bail. I really hope that Subaru does find a way to help limit this thing, but it's difficult given dealers are independent businesses. If dealers were tacking on five hundred bucks or something, well...but many are doing thousands plus "non-optional" high profit, but nearly worthless add-ons. It's disappointing.

From the WP link above (I have no idea why the cross through lines are showing up -just ignore them)

"Then in 2021, buyers’ appetite roared back just as supply chain snags, especially in microchips, hampered manufacturers. Some 15 million vehicles were sold last year, up from 14.6 million in 2020, according to Cox Automotive. Labor shortages and soaring inflation also weighed on the industry’s output. And there was a trickle-down effect on the used car market, where prices climbed 40 percent in January compared with the same period last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics."

"Rising dealer prices have swept across nearly all brands. GM’s luxury Cadillac line had an average $4,048 markup in January, according to Edmunds. Kia, Korean automaker Hyundai’s bargain brand, had a $2,289 markup. "

"GM did not respond to a request for comment. Hyundai in a statement said it “consistently reminds its dealers of the need for complete transparency” on pricing and “strongly reinforce” that prices advertised online for vehicles should align with retail prices. “We strongly discourage our dealers from charging prices above MSRP,” the company said. "
"Ford, meanwhile, saw a $163 add-on to MSRP, on average, while GM’s Chevrolet and GMC brands sold $625 and $677 higher, respectively. Those numbers are still lower than the industry average, underscoring just how much of a threat Ford and GM find dealer markups to their newly launching models, said Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds’s executive director of insights. "
"In response, spokesman Said Deep told The Post, Ford reserves the right to “redirect their allocation” of F-150 Lightning electric pickups for the 2022 model year. "
"If dealers continue pricing above MSRP, he said, Ford may reallocate their assigned inventory for forthcoming electric releases, including the Bronco SUV and Maverick pickup. "

"Talk like that could have dealers spooked, said Brian Moody, the executive editor at Autotrader. Car sellers have watched EV start-ups march through state legislatures defeating franchise laws that require automakers to sell through dealerships and not directly to consumers. "

I have spoken to Colorado dealerships selling $2500 above msrp
Dealership prices for popular car models exceed industry average
Average difference between manufacturers' suggested prices and dealers' prices for car sales in January

Hyundai
+$1,863

Porsche
+1,721

Honda
+1,523

Toyota
+909

Nissan
+898

General Motors
+800

Average sticker price
+728

Mercedes-Benz
+719

Volkswagen
+701

Subaru
+592

Mazda
+312

Mitsubishi
+207

Ford
+136

Source: Edmunds

THE WASHINGTON POST

· Registered
5,479 Posts
You should not be paying MSRP right now for your new Ascent. Auto prices are falling, along with real estate prices. Many people are reporting purchasing new vehicles under MSRP recently.
Used car prices are falling, not new. Inventories of most manufacturers are still very low. Subaru dealerships do not have any new inventory on their lot for more than one day, and if so it is generally because someone's purchase fell through. As for below msrp, forum readers know about the vip program to get dealer invoice pricing. Dealer fees are outside the vip program, will vary and should be negotiated.

· Registered
2021, Subaru, Ascent Limited
35 Posts
We just bout a '23 Crosstrek Premium with a manual tranny. The MT is pretty rare these days, we actually wanted the impreza but they basically never come to the Houston region in manual and we did not care to order (which was also delayed as dealers we spoke with did not have allotment options for that vehicle). Anyways, the two larger dealers in Houston both had several new crosstreks and more coming soon. Maybe a return to normal sooner than later? We used the Costco auto purchasing program and were ablet to get a little below MSRP and more than half off the other items the dealer insisted on. We had no trade-in to sweeten the deal for them and drive a harder bargain. We got the itemized price breakdown on one vehicle that had come in the day before, called in the AM, got the costco price at 1:15 pm, emailed and called back at ~2:30. Car had already sold. Actually sold because the dealer was not playing games. However, we noticed the other dealer near us had literaly just added an identical crosstrek to their inventory. We called and then emailed the other dealer's offer (they are not affiliated) and asked them to match (did not explain other car was no longer an option). They agreed. We are happy enough. Still not a lot of negotiating power out their for buyers of new vehicles, especially with no trade-in. Just my $0.02.

· Registered
2021, Subaru, Ascent Limited
35 Posts
Oh, and we did a Subaru loyalty coupon for $750. SOA customer service wait time was long (like 3 hour later call back) and it did take 48 hours to get the coupon in our email. I think the whole solterra orders thing, or trying to recover from any pandemic layoffs (?) must be giving them hell.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Used car prices are falling, not new. Inventories of most manufacturers are still very low. Subaru dealerships do not have any new inventory on their lot for more than one day, and if so it is generally because someone's purchase fell through. As for below msrp, forum readers know about the vip program to get dealer invoice pricing. Dealer fees are outside the vip program, will vary and should be negotiated.
I agree, but it you pay over MSRP for any vehicle that is being foolish, IMHO. There are deals on new vehicles out there at under MSRP.

· Registered
411 Posts
I agree, but it you pay over MSRP for any vehicle that is being foolish, IMHO. There are deals on new vehicles out there at under MSRP.
Feel free to cite somewhere that says otherwise, but in the last year (maybe two) I've only seen one person say they got under MSRP without using VIP. That was $1,000 off. Otherwise everything is MSRP or more commonly over.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Feel free to cite somewhere that says otherwise, but in the last year (maybe two) I've only seen one person say they got under MSRP without using VIP. That was $1,000 off. Otherwise everything is MSRP or more commonly over.
I just bought a 2022 Honda Ridgeline for $2500 under MSRP (RTL-E) and anther member of the Ridgeline forum purchased one for $3000 under MSRP (Black Edition), so not base models. I can't speak to Subaru models. We also purchased a 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid for $500 under MSRP. Prices on new vehicles are beginning to soften because of the higher interest rates, but as @packout mentioned, not as much as used vehicles. Dealers will never have the on the lot stock they once had because they are making record profits selling plenty of vehicles with only 25% of the inventory on hand. A nice position for the dealer.

Used car prices are caving in: The 2018 Subaru Outback with 46K miles that we sold to EchoPark (May 2022) for $30K is now only worth $18K at Carvana.
The 2021 Honda Ridgeline with 6K miles that we sold to Fort Collins Kia for $39K (August 2022) is now only worth $30K at Carvana.

· Registered
52 Posts
I ordered a '22 Ascent Onyx back in May & got $1000 off MSRP w/o using VIP. Van Bortel Subaru in Rochester, NY. They don't play any games & doc fees are reasonable.
And from personal experience on more than one occasion, the BEST owner in the car business.

· Registered
7 Posts
Ordered 2023 Limited from Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, WA and they honored VIP program (through ASPCA). Here are the details as I have a VIN (delivery ETA middle November)

Manufactured BySUBARU OF AMERICA, INC
Vehicle Descriptor4S4WMAUD*P3
MakeSUBARU
Manufacturer NameSUBARU OF AMERICA, INC
ModelAscent
Model Year2023
Plant CityLAFAYETTE
TrimLIMITED 7 ES, SMART, M/R, NAVI(H/K), DMS, MVM
Vehicle TypeMULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE (MPV)
Plant CountryUNITED STATES (USA)
Plant Company NameSIA
Plant StateINDIANA
NoteES : EyeSightSMART : SMART ENTRY&PUSH STARTM/R : MoonroofNAVI : NavigationH/K : Harman/KardonDMS : Driver monitoring systemMVM : Multiview monitor

So I went with the limited trim, which if you build through subaru.com is $46,370. Here is my pricing breakdown (trading in a 2020 Ascent premium trim)

Selling Price $43,603.00
Trade Allowance $27,500.00
Government Fees $694.75
Proc/Doc Fees $200.00
Subtotal (Selling Price + Addons) $44,497.75 Total Taxes $1,674.71
Deposit $1,000.00
Total Balance Due $17,672.46

So the important thing to call out here is that with the VIP program, I am getting invoice price, which is almost $3k under MSRP. Quite happy with this.

1641 - 1660 of 1679 Posts