Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1621 - 1640 of 1679 Posts

· Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
137 Posts
I'm guessing not, but is it possible to order from someone not in your area and set it up to deliver to a different area of the country (or even your home)?
Yes, it's OK to do this... I had a dealer that I previously purchased our Outback from in 2018 (we made a road trip out of that one) quote us an Ascent and shipping.
They are more than happy to do this.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,299 Posts
I'm guessing not, but is it possible to order from someone not in your area and set it up to deliver to a different area of the country (or even your home)?
Maybe you can pull that off but if you can, shipping will be on you. What you might be able to do is travel one way to pick up your purchase and then drive it home, however. I'm also involved in the Jeep forum that's a sister to this one and there are many, many folks who buy from the forum sponsor in VA, travel to pick up (the dealer even picks them up at the airport or train station) and then drive their new ride home. Obviously, most folks who do that are in the mid-Atlantic region, but not all of them. That particular dealer will ship, but it's at the buyer's direct cost and doesn't happen very often, AFAIK. You could always ask Dan what their policies are on this kind of thing.

· Registered
412 Posts
Yes, it's OK to do this... I had a dealer that I previously purchased our Outback from in 2018 (we made a road trip out of that one) quote us an Ascent and shipping.
They are more than happy to do this.
Maybe you can pull that off but if you can, shipping will be on you. What you might be able to do is travel one way to pick up your purchase and then drive it home, however. I'm also involved in the Jeep forum that's a sister to this one and there are many, many folks who buy from the forum sponsor in VA, travel to pick up (the dealer even picks them up at the airport or train station) and then drive their new ride home. Obviously, most folks who do that are in the mid-Atlantic region, but not all of them. That particular dealer will ship, but it's at the buyer's direct cost and doesn't happen very often, AFAIK. You could always ask Dan what their policies are on this kind of thing.
Well, I was meaning that Subaru would ship it straight to me/my local dealership instead of going to his dealership. However, that not being an option wouldn't surprise me. Hell, I would be it isn't even legal for manufactures to sell new cars directly to the consumers here in the US. We have some pretty crazy laws driving that stuff that also contribute to driving up prices.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
Yea, I don't think that a manufacturer would do direct ship like that. As to the manufacturer selling direct, it's true that it's prohibited in many areas, but Tesla seems to have figured out a way to deal with that in most (but not all) places.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hopefully this helps someone looking in this currently tough market, but in early July I was able to get $3600 off a Touring. Most dealers only wanted to offer $500-700 off and I got hung up on by one dealership when I mentioned that level of discount

· Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
844 Posts
This is an old data point in strange times, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Just took delivery of my 2021 Ascent Premium from Liberty Subaru in NJ. The pricing was agreed upon in May 2021 and the car was ordered at that time. After nearly 6 months I finally brought it home today.

2021 Ascent Premium 8 seater with option pkg 14 (moonroof, 20" wheels, PRG etc)
MSRP: $40174 ($39055 + 1060 delivery + 59 emissions fee)
Paid: $36225

Options (hitch, dimming mirrors w/ approach light, rear bumper cover, splash guards, cargo tray, 3rd row seatback protector, all weather mats)
MSRP: $1436
Paid: $1178

Total MSRP: $41610
Total Invoice: $38131 (per Edmunds)
Total Paid: $37403
Doc Fee: $395
NJ Tax: $2504
OTD: $40302

This works out to ~VIP pricing, which IMO given the current climate leaves me feeling pretty good. The process was painless (aside from the wait). I worked with Dan Meola, primarily by email and a few phone calls along the way. He patiently answered my many questions and requests for "how much is this"

Today, all of my concerns were addressed at delivery time, and the finance office experience was smooth and low-pressure. If you're in the area I recommend reaching out to Dan.

· Banned
253 Posts
to Tyler: are you implying that you have found good dealers in other areas? are you implying that when you leave the valley the world is different and car dealers are not "used car dealers"? I think the car dealers got their act covered everywhere. they compete with other professional dealers like mattress dealers, insurance sellers, real estate agents to see who can take the most wait add in jewelers, and .......

· Banned
253 Posts
To rib81 thanks for your input. He will not go there with us, so off to Illinois. I will not pay any more than at least 2% off invoice like I did the first time. And I’m not paying for any ridiculous 500 dollar vip bs coupons. To believe that that is actually what the dealer paid, and the implication that they are selling it at a loss is ludicrous. The best part is we don’t need them. No emotion. We will go elsewhere at a better entry point- which is after all the idiots overpaid, and the demand has been met and things get back to normal or better. It’s good to hear that you got a great price.

· Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
844 Posts
To rib81 thanks for your input. He will not go there with us, so off to Illinois. I will not pay any more than at least 2% off invoice like I did the first time. And I’m not paying for any ridiculous 500 dollar vip bs coupons. To believe that that is actually what the dealer paid, and the implication that they are selling it at a loss is ludicrous. The best part is we don’t need them. No emotion. We will go elsewhere at a better entry point- which is after all the idiots overpaid, and the demand has been met and things get back to normal or better. It’s good to hear that you got a great price.
I should note they my price was agreed upon in May, largely before the extent of the supply issuea became known.

Good luck in your search. I think it will be a delicate balancing act to cash in on your current vehicle and get a great deal on a new one. Probably not impossible, but it will be work for sure.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
Best wishes in your negotiations...

· Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
33 Posts
Got an outgoing 21 Touring in MA for MSRP plus they threw in a trailer hitch, so essentially a $350 discount. Considering the levels of inventory in the area, the fact that they were asking for a $4k markup originally, and that I was replacing a totaled car in a time crunch, I don’t feel horrible about the deal.

Reactions: rlb81

· Banned
253 Posts
Well even though it’s not going to happen with everyone’s favorite dealer, things were not that bad, it was about 2 k more than l stated I was willing to pay, and the price on the trade-in and the tax advantage covered the car max price. The trade tax advantage gives the dealer a huge plus if he pays me say 34,500 on the trade, the tax savings advantage gives me the equivalent of about 37,600.00. More importantly for the dealer, his cost basis is 34,500 and this sets him up for a windfall upon sale. I park my car there, he give me $34,500, and sells it there for 39000plus. $4500.00 or more easy dollars for signing paperwork, but it didn’t get us close enough.

· Registered
25 Posts
Gosh, this is the first time I have been referred to as an idiot.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
Enough with this line of "idiot discussion". That is not what this community is for. What a good price amounts to is subjective to the individual.

JIm
Forum Moderator.

1621 - 1640 of 1679 Posts