Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1390 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 Premium with Options Package 12 outside of Atlanta at Subaru of Gwinnett.

MSRP was $37,233 but got them down to $32,975, so 11.44% off MSRP. Financed at 0% APR for 63 months.

We sprung for the 10 year/100,000 extended warranty, which we got through a Costco discount for $1698.

Maybe could have pushed harder on the MSRP discount, but I don't feel like we got fleeced. I asked another dealer if they could do better on that discount for a similar Premium, but they gave me a hard no. Said it wouldn't be worth it for them since they would have had to ship it from another dealer.
Wow Maybe I did not get a good deal!

·
Registered
2020 Touring
4 Posts
So you did the build on Costco site and then sent that build you to your local dealer? Does Costco site give you a pricing on your build for being a member? Can you explain how the process worked for you with the initial offer through Costco since I have not done it before? Thanks.
Submitted an inquiry without build specifics on Costco’s auto website. They send to their dealer in your area. Their dealer contacted me within 5 minutes by phone and email asking when I can come in. I emailed back that I prefer to work via email, provided my build specifics and requested a price. Dealer responded with Costco price and I forwarded that email plus my guaranteed trade price from MySubaru to the sales guy at my preferred dealer. He responded he would beat the price by $100 and honor the GTP. If he didn’t, I would have bought from the Costco dealer. Whole “negotiation” process took less than 30 minutes of my time. I didn’t even clean the two year old outback trade in that we outgrew with the birth of a new child (it was filthy from sitting under a tree for most of our stay at home order during the pandemic and, well, kids in general). I was in the new car that same day. I bought my last outback the same way. It’s probably possible to do a little better, but so miserable to haggle with car dealers that I prefer to take something easy and close enough to the best price. There are 4 dealers within 30 minutes of me and I have bought three cars (2 outbacks plus this Ascent) over the past 10 years from my preferred dealer (where I also get service done) so that may also help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Submitted an inquiry without build specifics on Costco’s auto website. They send to their dealer in your area. Their dealer contacted me within 5 minutes by phone and email asking when I can come in. I emailed back that I prefer to work via email, provided my build specifics and requested a price. Dealer responded with Costco price and I forwarded that email plus my guaranteed trade price from MySubaru to the sales guy at my preferred dealer. He responded he would beat the price by $100 and honor the GTP. If he didn’t, I would have bought from the Costco dealer. Whole “negotiation” process took less than 30 minutes of my time. I didn’t even clean the two year old outback trade in that we outgrew with the birth of a new child (it was filthy from sitting under a tree for most of our stay at home order during the pandemic and, well, kids in general). I was in the new car that same day. I bought my last outback the same way. It’s probably possible to do a little better, but so miserable to haggle with car dealers that I prefer to take something easy and close enough to the best price. There are 4 dealers within 30 minutes of me and I have bought three cars (2 outbacks plus this Ascent) over the past 10 years from my preferred dealer (where I also get service done) so that may also help.
So then pretty much the Costco price thorough your original dealer was just $100 more than your preferred dealer. Looks like Costco pricing was already aggressive and you were able to squeeze a bit more discount. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something I didn’t expect - Subaru also made a first (actually second) month lease payment. I thought this is not an option if use loyalty coupon. Made the deal even sweeter. anyone else had such experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We picked up our 2020 Ascent Limited ~2 weeks ago. MSRP was $40,557 and we paid $36,050. With taxes it was $38,040 out the door.

Did everything online including the trade-in value. Only in-person was dropping off the old car and picking up the new car. Car buying is slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Still find it annoying how long you have to sit around and wait for "the finance guy" to get your paperwork together when all the numbers were already negotiated and agreed upon and you have an appointment. In and out in 45 minutes isn't terrible but could easily have been 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a great deal you got. You got like 15.4% off MSRP. Was it difficult to get that much off or easy? Did you went back and forth on pricing until they came back with that number? Were other dealers coming close to this number or not? What is your location?
Sorry for the late reply, Purchased at longmont CO. Added gold plus warranty for 1750 100$ Detectable best I can do unfortunately. Build and Loyalty coupon don't stack as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, Purchased at longmont CO. Added gold plus warranty for 1750 100$ Detectable best I can do unfortunately. Build and Loyalty coupon don't stack as well.
With a 15% discount, I am sure other prospective buyers would love to know more of the nitty gritty on your deal. I am also in Colorado. In reviewing inventory in the region, I have found some Touring models that have been sitting on lots for quite some time, probably pre-factory shutdown (pictures still show snow on the pavement). Did you buy one of the these? Or are you some sort of VIP at Valley that would allow such a deep deep discount?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at an Ascent Touring in Maine right now and no one is getting near the prices I'm seeing here, possibly because stock is so low right now. On an MSRP of $47,071, the best quote I've gotten is $43,250. Heck, one dealer just didn't even bother to quote anything other than MSRP. I submitted the build from the site to 5 or 6 local dealers and haven't seen the $1k "build" coupon in my email. I did call SOA and asked about the loyalty program. She was adamant that it's not a loyalty program but a "One-time goodwill" coupon, but I did get the $500 from that.

If 5 dealers come back within $250 of each other, is there any chance to haggle much more than that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking at an Ascent Touring in Maine right now and no one is getting near the prices I'm seeing here, possibly because stock is so low right now. On an MSRP of $47,071, the best quote I've gotten is $43,250. Heck, one dealer just didn't even bother to quote anything other than MSRP. I submitted the build from the site to 5 or 6 local dealers and haven't seen the $1k "build" coupon in my email. I did call SOA and asked about the loyalty program. She was adamant that it's not a loyalty program but a "One-time goodwill" coupon, but I did get the $500 from that.

If 5 dealers come back within $250 of each other, is there any chance to haggle much more than that?
I am in Maine as well and hit up all of the dealers in the entire state. The best deal was in Central Maine, second best in Southern Maine. Elsewhere just got worse. Looking at my emails, my price was still over $1500 below what you have quoted there. Could be tightened inventory... I would try to get quotes on what is already in stock. Let me know if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in Maine as well and hit up all of the dealers in the entire state. The best deal was in Central Maine, second best in Southern Maine. Elsewhere just got worse. Looking at my emails, my price was still over $1500 below what you have quoted there. Could be tightened inventory... I would try to get quotes on what is already in stock. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks for the info! I did hit up some dealers farther north but nothing far away from 95, so that may be why everything was so close in price. At this point I think I'm going to wait until the 2021s come out or there's more 2020 inventory. It seems like no one is itching to make deals if they've only got one Touring model on the lot, and I can't blame them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Closed today on a Touring with Popular Package 3 and Splash Guards at 14% off MSRP $47,125. Which was 7% below invoice. SF Bay Area , had two other dealers willing to go that low.
Others were only offering 6-8% below MSRP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Closed today on a Touring with Popular Package 3 and Splash Guards at 14% off MSRP $47,125. Which was 7% below invoice. SF Bay Area , had two other dealers willing to go that low.
Others were only offering 6-8% below MSRP.
Which SF Bay Area dealer did you get it from? And what were the other two dealers looking to go that low? Looking to buy in near future... Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Serramonte is where I purchased. Carlsen and Premiere were the other two lowest offers.

Carlsen is a Costco Auto dealer and even their ext warranty price was almost 50% cheaper than any other dealer quoted me, Serramonte was willing to beat it.

I contacted the 15 dealers in the area, as far north as Santa Rosa and south as Santa Cruz. By the time I narrowed it down, only 3-4 had Package 3 in the color I wanted. Many only had 1-3 Touring in stock.

Capitol, basically told me they couldn’t compete and getting it at that price was a steal.

Good luck. Happy to help answer any other questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Twin Cities here. I went through Costco, which took me to one particular dealer, but also shopped five other area dealerships. In the end, took delivery yesterday from the Costco dealership of 2020 Touring ($45,045 MSRP) with popular package #2 ($962), rear seat back protector ($92) and trailer hitch ($519.76). Destination/delivery $1010. Total purchase price after discounts, $42,933. Add tax/tags/license and doc fee = $46,307.20.
I also did the 10-year 100,000 mile extended warranty, which over the 63 months we're financing (at zero interest) added less to the payments than the two yearly oil changes (at the dealerships; probably less expensive elsewhere). I'm not usually a warranty guy and I despise deciding something like this on the spot without doing my due diligence, but #1, the numbers made sense, #2 the key fob alone is $600 to replace and we've lost the key fobs to our Highlander and Pilot over the years, and #3 can't finance the warranty if not executed in that moment AND have 60/90 days to cancel (only drawback is monthly payment can't be adjusted, so additional amount but higher monthly payment means paying off somewhat earlier. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Twin Cities here. I went through Costco, which took me to one particular dealer, but also shopped five other area dealerships. In the end, took delivery yesterday from the Costco dealership of 2020 Touring ($45,045 MSRP) with popular package #2 ($962), rear seat back protector ($92) and trailer hitch ($519.76). Destination/delivery $1010. Total purchase price after discounts, $42,933. Add tax/tags/license and doc fee = $46,307.20.
I also did the 10-year 100,000 mile extended warranty, which over the 63 months we're financing (at zero interest) added less to the payments than the two yearly oil changes (at the dealerships; probably less expensive elsewhere). I'm not usually a warranty guy and I despise deciding something like this on the spot without doing my due diligence, but #1, the numbers made sense, #2 the key fob alone is $600 to replace and we've lost the key fobs to our Highlander and Pilot over the years, and #3 can't finance the warranty if not executed in that moment AND have 60/90 days to cancel (only drawback is monthly payment can't be adjusted, so additional amount but higher monthly payment means paying off somewhat earlier. Hope this makes sense.
That seems high for a Costco deal. Working with a local Colorado dealer, I spec'd out a touring that had a sticker of $47,800'sh. Their price was $700 below your Costco price, BEFORE any type of negotiations. The important thing is your satisfaction with the price and vehicle. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not following. Can you please specify the deal apples to apples?
In mine, the MSRP + destination is $47,109. "discount" $4,695. Add Trailer hitch $519.76. (they matched the lowest I could find from another dealer -- their charge is $700+) = purchase price before tax/title/doc $42,933.
$46,307.20 out the door.

Hopefully somebody reading this can improve on my deal and maybe even yours, but first have to understand the details of the deal you mentioned.

TIA!

·
Registered
4 Posts
With a 15% discount, I am sure other prospective buyers would love to know more of the nitty gritty on your deal. I am also in Colorado. In reviewing inventory in the region, I have found some Touring models that have been sitting on lots for quite some time, probably pre-factory shutdown (pictures still show snow on the pavement). Did you buy one of the these? Or are you some sort of VIP at Valley that would allow such a deep deep discount?

I have asked the dealer when was car delivred he said its the 3rd month of this year. Its in March of this year so I bought it at mid of June. I did a lot of back and forth, walking off lot thing etc to get this deal. Added the warranty at the time of pick up and its more back forth as well. Please PM me if you are looking for more info

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings all,
My wife an I are close to taking the plunge but are wondering if the “build your own” coupon is still being offered. I suppose I could call SOA and ask them but the second question I have is dealer specific. Several weeks ago i was comparison shopping and one dealer was close to $2K less than others in the area but that was due to a dealer incentive. That has now gone away since, so I am wondering if dealer incentives typically cycle quickly or if the 2020 models are soon to be inbound will they be gone for good? For what its worth, I live in Southeast Michigan...
Thanks
SA

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was a June promo, I called SOA in early July and they confirmed. IF you owned a Subaru in the past, you can give them VIN # and they'll give you the loyalty coupon for $500.

I imagine they will be more motivated once 20201 hit the lot. Email all the dealers within your comfort zone to drive and get quotes on the specific model/package you want. Then, take the lowest and ask the other dealers if they're willing to beat it. Helps to have apples/apples comparison on actual vehicle w/ same options. Compare discount off Invoice and MSRP.

I kept a big spreadsheet with all the offers and calculations, b/c it can get messy quickly.

Good luck!

Greetings all,
My wife an I are close to taking the plunge but are wondering if the “build your own” coupon is still being offered. I suppose I could call SOA and ask them but the second question I have is dealer specific. Several weeks ago i was comparison shopping and one dealer was close to $2K less than others in the area but that was due to a dealer incentive. That has now gone away since, so I am wondering if dealer incentives typically cycle quickly or if the 2020 models are soon to be inbound will they be gone for good? For what its worth, I live in Southeast Michigan...
Thanks
SA

1361 - 1380 of 1390 Posts