Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never even looked at a Subaru before but wife and I were looking for something we could take onto some road trips and camp right in the back of. We shopped around this past weekend and it came down to the Ascent, the Highlander, and a used Ford Explorer Platinum. The Explorer "sold" while we were test driving and they wanted an answer right away, so we obviously did not do that. After preliminary pricing discussions with Toyota, it was clear that we were not going to get much done in negotiating. They only have so many AWD in my area so were only giving the $1k advertised rebate at the time. Plus think we liked the Ascent more anyway and what really sold us is the touring model's java brown leather and the dual pane sunroof!

Anyway, our current best offer is below. We made a $500 deposit to make sure the next White Touring on the lot was ours, but it won't be here for 2 weeks and the deposit could be refundable. Any inputs on the deal....

2020 Ascent Touring 7 Pass, standard model;
Added Accessories: Cargo Net, Auto Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light, Cargo Tray, All Weather Floor Liners
MSRP: 46,590
Discounted Price: 40,978

After fees in our location it will be $44,809 out the door. Obviously we will use the 0% financing option. I tried to do an online build and used a different zip code, but haven't received the $1,000 coupon. Will calling them help with that like others have said.

Any input appreciated. Thanks
Not sure what the most recent discount off MSRP is since we bought our Touring mid-April. But, at that time, the dealer discount off of MSRP was 12.XX% (I can't remember the numbers to the right of the decimal point off the top of my head), so it seems that discount you noted above is right around what I was able to get a couple of months ago.

I'd assume that inventory is tightening some as things open back up (though it probably depends on area), so that would lead me to assume that 11-13% off of MSRP is probably still a pretty good range to be in in terms of discount off of MSRP (before any loyalty or other cash off).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got it yesterday in VA didnt realize there is a build coupon

Touring
With autodim....etc package plus rear seat guard
Msrp: 46924

OTD 44020.

0% finance

Only add on is $75/3 yr for starlink to remote start and control the car....

It hurts when heard about the 1k coupon...
😒

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased mine yesterday waiting on bank check to pickup here is my price
Touring Standard option 31

MSRP : 46936
Discount : -7250
Loyal subaru : -500
Dealer fee : 695
Taxes: 2,990
fees : 27.20

Total OTD : 42,897.85. (6 year 100k Powertrain warranty included / 5 free oil changes and tire rotations included)

Dealer didn't accept to use the Subaru Build Cupon, have to talk with subaru Monday.

Do you guys thing is this a good deal ? (considering extra 500 Build Coupon or not ) ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shame i am in the looks to trade in my 2019 for a 2020 and called SOA, got told they dont have a "Loyalty program anymore" Weird...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure what the most recent discount off MSRP is since we bought our Touring mid-April. But, at that time, the dealer discount off of MSRP was 12.XX% (I can't remember the numbers to the right of the decimal point off the top of my head), so it seems that discount you noted above is right around what I was able to get a couple of months ago.

I'd assume that inventory is tightening some as things open back up (though it probably depends on area), so that would lead me to assume that 11-13% off of MSRP is probably still a pretty good range to be in in terms of discount off of MSRP (before any loyalty or other cash off).

We went and purchased yesterday and enjoyed a nice drive home in the new Subie! We ended up right at the price previously discussed, however we had already put a $500 deposit down and received a $500 coupon. I reached out to SOA regarding the build coupon and was told specifically that they knew forums were posting about it, and that not everyone was entitled to one. However my wife and I both received the $500 coupon for one reason or another. SOA also mentioned that after purchase if I sent them the bill of sale I could get a $500 parts and service coupon so all in all it worked out well. I do think inventory was a little tight and the 0% was potentially running out at the end of the month because all other dealers in our area were about $2k higher. Someone even was trying to buy our car off the lot while we were doing paperwork!

We did get talked into the Gold Plus Extended warranty, which I've gone back and forth on 15 times today. We are in California so supposedly not allowed to buy out of state. Original price quoted was $3k, ultimately got them down to $1700 for the 8 yr/80k plan. Probably could have gotten them down a few more hundred dollars but was tired of the process. Usually I'd never buy the warranty, but we do plan to have this car a long time, we will likely do a lot of road tripping and could quickly go past the 36k mile mark before the 3 years are up, and as others have mentioned there are a lot of electronics and a new engine/turbo/cvt combo in these cars. Do most people think the warranty returns value?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Picked up our Black Premium 7 Seat Ascent 2 weeks ago!
Our dealer did a trade with another dealer for the car.
$37,912 Sticker Price
$35,586 Negotiated price
Included in Price:
Options Package #12 $1,460
Power Rear Gate with Lock Button and Height Memory
Keyless Access with Push Button Start
Reverse Automatic Braking
Auto-Dimming Rear View Compass Mirror & Homelink
Additional Accessories:
Rear Bumper Cover $155.00
Cargo Tray $81.00
Rear Seatback Protector $92.00
USB Charging Ports $230.00
Door Edge Guards - Crystal Black Silica $162.00
All-Weather Floor Liners $132.00 LED
Upgrade - Map and Reading Lights 6 Bulb $185.00
Total $1,037

$35,586 Sales Price + Registration/License/Doc fees ($174.75) + Tax ($2980.33)
=38,741.08

-$1000 Build Coupon
-$500 Loyalty Coupon
-$3,000 Down Payment
Out the Door: $34,241.08
Finance @ .9% for 72 Months= $945

I think I got a good deal, but very happy with the car so far.
Looking into approach light Mirrors and Yakima Flush Rail Bars at some point

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,858 Posts
Shame i am in the looks to trade in my 2019 for a 2020 and called SOA, got told they dont have a "Loyalty program anymore" Weird...
Maybe you need to speak with a different representative...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased mine yesterday waiting on bank check to pickup here is my price
Touring Standard option 31

MSRP : 46936
Discount : -7250
Loyal subaru : -500
Dealer fee : 695
Taxes: 2,990
fees : 27.20

Total OTD : 42,897.85. (6 year 100k Powertrain warranty included / 5 free oil changes and tire rotations included)

Dealer didn't accept to use the Subaru Build Cupon, have to talk with subaru Monday.

Do you guys thing is this a good deal ? (considering extra 500 Build Coupon or not ) ?
That is a great deal you got. You got like 15.4% off MSRP. Was it difficult to get that much off or easy? Did you went back and forth on pricing until they came back with that number? Were other dealers coming close to this number or not? What is your location?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
3 Posts
Purchased mine yesterday in SoCal: 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited 7-Passenger with tech package and popular package 2a
Dealer price: $39,327
-$500 build coupon
0% for 63 months
Plus taxes and fees

Happy to be a new member of Subaru family

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased mine yesterday in SoCal: 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited 7-Passenger with tech package and popular package 2a
Dealer price: $39,327
-$500 build coupon
0% for 63 months
Plus taxes and fees

Happy to be a new member of Subaru family
What was your MSRP? Do you mind sharing which dealer this was since I am in SoCal as well. You can PM me if you don't want to post in thread? Was this price their initial offer or do you go back and forth with them?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring
3 Posts
Purchased yesterday in VA:
2020 touring with popular package #2A, USB port in 3rd row, seat back protector, 3rd row sun shade

47,391 msrp
40,456 purchase price
799 dealer fee
-500 loyalty

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
228 Posts
You can get that easily on the Subaru website "build and price"...
The MSRP of the base vehicle is available online, but extras that may be added to the particular vehicle in question (such as the interior LED light kit, rubber mats, trunk protector, etc.) are not shown. These may or may not be part of the vehicle and, if they are, are included in the MSRP figure from which one negotiates down. For example, our Touring's MSRP was $47,210 (due to additional equipment), even though the Ascent starts at $46,055 (with destination) on the website.

(We paid $41,974 plus $499 dealer fee back in March.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 Premium with Options Package 12 outside of Atlanta at Subaru of Gwinnett.

MSRP was $37,233 but got them down to $32,975, so 11.44% off MSRP. Financed at 0% APR for 63 months.

We sprung for the 10 year/100,000 extended warranty, which we got through a Costco discount for $1698.

Maybe could have pushed harder on the MSRP discount, but I don't feel like we got fleeced. I asked another dealer if they could do better on that discount for a similar Premium, but they gave me a hard no. Said it wouldn't be worth it for them since they would have had to ship it from another dealer.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The MSRP of the base vehicle is available online, but extras that may be added to the particular vehicle in question (such as the interior LED light kit, rubber mats, trunk protector, etc.) are not shown.
That is not true. Do a "build and price". The trim level options as well as all the accessories are there with prices. What's missing are the "popular packages" of accessories but the combined cost of what's in them isn't materially different from a la carté.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased yesterday in VA:
2020 touring with popular package #2A, USB port in 3rd row, seat back protector, 3rd row sun shade

47,391 msrp
40,456 purchase price
799 dealer fee
-500 loyalty
Great deal you got there. 14.6% off MSRP. Was their selling price their initial offer or did you haggle to get to that price?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
228 Posts
That is not true. Do a "build and price". The trim level options as well as all the accessories are there with prices. What's missing are the "popular packages" of accessories but the combined cost of what's in them isn't materially different from a la carté.
When I said "accessories are not shown", I should have instead said something like "not known" -- as in, I think the person asking for the final MSRP was just asking for clarification if any other accessories not mentioned were included in the total price, prior to negotiation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never seen a manufacturer's prepaid maintenance plan that would save any money over paying for the service as you go. If your state/region offers two years of free maintenance with purchase, then that is an especially bad deal. Our dealer often sends out coupons for discounted oil changes and such. If you prepaid at a non-discounted rate, you can't use any coupons to your advantage. If you do your own oil changes then you essentially paid for nothing.
YOu might be right that from a purely monetary point of view it is not a good deal. There are factors to account for though, such as the value of my time and peace of mind and, most importantly, the increase of WAF points (Wife Acceptance Factor ;))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Initial offer through Costco that I sent to my preferred dealer and they matched without a fight.
So you did the build on Costco site and then sent that build you to your local dealer? Does Costco site give you a pricing on your build for being a member? Can you explain how the process worked for you with the initial offer through Costco since I have not done it before? Thanks.

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts