Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1364 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There is no link in post # 1309... I believe you looked at post # 1317.
We are crossing topics. I wanted to know where the hitch was purchased at that price. When you posted that chemtrail said... i thought that was some on line store name , hence I was looking for a link. When you posted the post number I realized chemtrsil was a poster. I then read some of the other thread posts to learn where it was purchased. Looking at bamwharehouse reviews led me to conclude I would would not do business with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see references to the "build discount" for $1000, what is that? I'm amazed at some of the prices you guys have gotten. I've been negotiating with a dealer for almost 3 months and only walked them down 4K from MSRP that is only because of the truecar price via Sam's club. I figured with all the articles talking about COVID19 and the lack of sales, the prices would be great about now, but I'm not seeing it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited, 2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Outback
7 Posts
I see references to the "build discount" for $1000, what is that? I'm amazed at some of the prices you guys have gotten. I've been negotiating with a dealer for almost 3 months and only walked them down 4K from MSRP that is only because of the truecar price via Sam's club. I figured with all the articles talking about COVID19 and the lack of sales, the prices would be great about now, but I'm not seeing it.
Check out this thread.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,846 Posts
I figured with all the articles talking about COVID19 and the lack of sales, the prices would be great about now, but I'm not seeing it.
Consider that production had been at full stop for almost two months. Supplies are limited in many areas because of that, especially in areas where sales were still permitted. Cars going out, but none coming in. Dealers are not going to negotiate super low prices when it's a sellers' market.

Some folks who did the "build and price" on the Subaru website received an incentive rebate, either $1000 or $500, when they sent their build to a local dealer from the site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Starting to see that with my local dealership - used to have a 12 to 18 Ascents on hand... now 6. Other dealership we seriously considered only has 10 in inventory with 2 of those in transit. Supply is tightening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to people who posted here. We closed a deal today on a Limited in Cinnamon brown, with ivory interior. I was able to use both a $1,000 coupon for "building" a car on Subaru.com and a $500 loyalty coupon because my wife owns a Subaru. Reading the posts here helped me to feel confident that we got a reasonable deal.
The dealer offered a $6,000 discount. It was the best price we found within 300 miles.

This is the breakdown of the deal.
MSRP:$41,395.00
Dealer discount: $6,000.00
Admin Fee: $799.00
NC Sales Tax (3%): $1,085.82
Title and Reg: $104.00
Coupon Discount: -$1,000
Loyalty Coupon: -$500
-------------------------------------------
Total Out the Door $35,883.82

We used the 0% financing with no money down.

We also purchased the extended warranty 100K/6 years ($2,200) and Service to 54k ($1,355) which added $3,555 to the financed price. My wife was more comfortable with those. I am thinking to cancel them though. What is everyone's opinion on those? Are they worth it? I usually do the oil changes and small maintenance on my own.

Breakdown of MSRP price
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT AND OTHER ITEMS
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $39,345.00
Exterior Color: Cinnamon Brown Pearl
Full Tank of Gas INCLD
Standard Option: 21
8-Passenger Bench Seating INCLD
Ext Auto Dim Mirror $241.00
USB Charge Port - 3rd Row $230.00
Cross Bars - Adjustable $201.00
Rear Bumper Cover $155.00
All Weather Floor Liners $132.00
Cargo Tray $81.00

We had a very good experience at the dealer (Johnson Subaru of Cary, NC). All negotiations were handled by email with Joe at the internet department. They didn't have the car we wanted in stock but had it delivered from another dealer about 300 miles away. They were upfront on everything, no need to negotiate, no pushing, no shady practices, no "used car salesman" experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks to people who posted here. We closed a deal today on a Limited in Cinnamon brown, with ivory interior. I was able to use both a $1,000 coupon for "building" a car on Subaru.com and a $500 loyalty coupon because my wife owns a Subaru. Reading the posts here helped me to feel confident that we got a reasonable deal.
The dealer offered a $6,000 discount. It was the best price we found within 300 miles.

This is the breakdown of the deal.
MSRP:$41,395.00
Dealer discount: $6,000.00
Admin Fee: $799.00
NC Sales Tax (3%): $1,085.82
Title and Reg: $104.00
Coupon Discount: -$1,000
Loyalty Coupon: -$500
-------------------------------------------
Total Out the Door $35,883.82

We used the 0% financing with no money down.

We also purchased the extended warranty 100K/6 years ($2,200) and Service to 54k ($1,355) which added $3,555 to the financed price. My wife was more comfortable with those. I am thinking to cancel them though. What is everyone's opinion on those? Are they worth it? I usually do the oil changes and small maintenance on my own.

Breakdown of MSRP price
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT AND OTHER ITEMS
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $39,345.00
Exterior Color: Cinnamon Brown Pearl
Full Tank of Gas INCLD
Standard Option: 21
8-Passenger Bench Seating INCLD
Ext Auto Dim Mirror $241.00
USB Charge Port - 3rd Row $230.00
Cross Bars - Adjustable $201.00
Rear Bumper Cover $155.00
All Weather Floor Liners $132.00
Cargo Tray $81.00

We had a very good experience at the dealer (Johnson Subaru of Cary, NC). All negotiations were handled by email with Joe at the internet department. They didn't have the car we wanted in stock but had it delivered from another dealer about 300 miles away. They were upfront on everything, no need to negotiate, no pushing, no shady practices, no "used car salesman" experience.
Congrats! You pretty much got a Limited for the price of a Premium. Picking ours up on Wednesday! May I ask when did you exactly present both coupons during the whole process?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
May I ask when did you exactly present both coupons during the whole process?
Always after you negotiate your price. These are forms of payment, not negotiating tools. The money comes from SOA, not the dealer.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Congrats! You pretty much got a Limited for the price of a Premium. Picking ours up on Wednesday! May I ask when did you exactly present both coupons during the whole process?
Always negotiate a price for a vehicle prior to any coupons, trade ins or financing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like everyone said, after negotiating a price. I showed it to the salesman who went to check with the business manager. That took some time. Next time I likely will show it directly to the business person.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Like everyone said, after negotiating a price. I showed it to the salesman who went to check with the business manager. That took some time. Next time I likely will show it directly to the business person.
You may still need to show it to your sales person since they are often the ones who input the data for the deal prior to it moving over to the finance person, but it should be after the priced is agreed to. Again, these are forms of payment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always after you negotiate your price. These are forms of payment, not negotiating tools. The money comes from SOA, not the dealer.
Always negotiate a price for a vehicle prior to any coupons, trade ins or financing.
Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never owned a Subaru before but am now considering an Ascent to replace a Sienna. Anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer in the Boston area (North Shore preferred)? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have never seen a manufacturer's prepaid maintenance plan that would save any money over paying for the service as you go. If your state/region offers two years of free maintenance with purchase, then that is an especially bad deal. Our dealer often sends out coupons for discounted oil changes and such. If you prepaid at a non-discounted rate, you can't use any coupons to your advantage. If you do your own oil changes then you essentially paid for nothing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just received a $500 coupon after building on the Subaru site. Can this coupon be used with the military/veteran discount? I read the fine print and it’s unclear whether I can or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After few months of looking and talking to multiple dealers I pulled a trigger on the lease for Touring: 46.1k MSRP, 5.1K dealer discount, 750$ loyalty coupon + $1000 promotion coupon from Subaru, $1500 OOP (including first month), $435/mo including NJ tax. 36/12 term.
Thanks eveyone here for guidance! I got 750 first by calling SOA and asking about 1000. They said they don’t know about it but can give me 750 - Ascent is our 5th Subaru. It took a while but I got 1000 coupon after “building“ several cars on the website. I tried local zip, MN, TX, and finally NC. But what I think made a trick is giving the e-mail address I never used with SOA in the past.
Nice car that my wife really enjoys - we went with brown on brown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never even looked at a Subaru before but wife and I were looking for something we could take onto some road trips and camp right in the back of. We shopped around this past weekend and it came down to the Ascent, the Highlander, and a used Ford Explorer Platinum. The Explorer "sold" while we were test driving and they wanted an answer right away, so we obviously did not do that. After preliminary pricing discussions with Toyota, it was clear that we were not going to get much done in negotiating. They only have so many AWD in my area so were only giving the $1k advertised rebate at the time. Plus think we liked the Ascent more anyway and what really sold us is the touring model's java brown leather and the dual pane sunroof!

Anyway, our current best offer is below. We made a $500 deposit to make sure the next White Touring on the lot was ours, but it won't be here for 2 weeks and the deposit could be refundable. Any inputs on the deal....

2020 Ascent Touring 7 Pass, standard model;
Added Accessories: Cargo Net, Auto Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light, Cargo Tray, All Weather Floor Liners
MSRP: 46,590
Discounted Price: 40,978

After fees in our location it will be $44,809 out the door. Obviously we will use the 0% financing option. I tried to do an online build and used a different zip code, but haven't received the $1,000 coupon. Will calling them help with that like others have said.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

1321 - 1340 of 1364 Posts